Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,322

3 members and 3,319 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Legal Advice for MiniZoo

I'm wondering if any of you in NC have exhibited snakes and dragons to the public, and if so, what legal stipulations did you encounter? We're planning to build a 10-15 animal zoo exhibit, with custom built "natural" habitats.

I have someone getting the details on the zoo exhibits, but this question is about having a giant python out with the public, a handler throwing out facts and letting children touch, etc. I've seen this done at malls, but I need to know what kind of permits or regulations I'd be dealing with.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks

Re: Legal Advice for MiniZoo

anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is a pretty small audience to find that sort of specific advice in. Not that it would be impossible...but may not happen quickly, if at all.

What I would suggest would be to look up small zoos in your area, or anyone who does public displays with reptiles or other exotic animals. They would be your best source for local laws and regs you need to know about...as well as advice on making it work.

The only ones I know of are in Texas...but it may not hurt to call around even out of state. They won't know specifics about your local laws, but may be able to offer advice on finding out, as well as good general knowledge about the endeavor.

Capitol of Texas Zoo
    Snake Farm
    -- Judy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Ben Biscy (04-27-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

I'll just give you some generic info for this sort of thing since I'm not from NC..
    contact your state's F&W/DNR for state laws, they usually are the ones who keep track of any laws regarding exotics and displays.

There will likely be locla legislation at the city/county level(and even homeowner's society level if you live in a neighborhood) that may get in your way. Look up city/county codes and regulations, there should be a section on animals where everything regarding livestock and pets is placed.

I've never had to deal with a homeowner's assc. so I don't have any advice for how to go about finding out neighborhood rules.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Ben Biscy (04-27-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

If you've got animals already and are not sure if you're "really" supposed to have that kind or that many, you may want to be circumspect when querying those who are supposed to know.

Asking if you need permission or permits to take you 15 foot burm out when that species is not allowed in city limits can make you a target.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Ben Biscy (04-27-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    If you've got animals already and are not sure if you're "really" supposed to have that kind or that many, you may want to be circumspect when querying those who are supposed to know.

Asking if you need permission or permits to take you 15 foot burm out when that species is not allowed in city limits can make you a target.
    That's understandable, but our animals are legally kept and owned. We're ok there, as well as the small scale project we're running now. We certainly want to make sure we're doing everything the right way for extenuating our ideas and plans, and will be sure to have crossed t's and dotted i's before proceeding.

The area for the potential location of a permanent zoo is not a residential area, and is in a town limit (rural area). We do have consent of the property owners, as well as consent from owners around us, but it's time to make sure that any possible permits or applications are filled and acquired.

I'm also looking for any advice on insurance and liability, as that's another aspect of this venture.

Legal Beagle is the way to go .

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help! Anything else offered is greatly appreciated, and i'll let you know along and along how things go. This is a long term project, and we won't be rushing, but with luck, it WILL become a reality!

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Just remember, if it ain't in writing, it don't me squat.

Verbal permission today is an argument in court tomorrow. Well, more like two years from now, but who needs that?

Put it on paper. Even if it seems stupid, write it, sign it, witness it.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Ben Biscy (04-27-2009)