Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

3 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Tank Screen Top Foil Treatment Tutorial

Like so many others, I had to come post a thank you for this set-up. Well written and informative. I'm sure my snake would also say, Thank you
    Last edited by xcrafter; 01-15-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Thanks

This is probably a dumb question, but where can I find the vinyl? I would think somewhere like Home Depot, but I can't find it on there site. What exactly would it be called?

Thanks
    I don't know how i never saw this thread before!
    I've been keeping moist towels on my tank forever now. Its such a pain, keeping those things moist.

I did this and its working great
    Thank you!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmmx For This Useful Post:

mackynz (05-30-2012)

Thanks
    I took the advice of this thread and insulated the lid of my tank to match the pirate theme of my classroom:

Thanks
    Wow, I wonder how I never saw the 'newer' comments in this thread. Email notifications not working as well anymore...

Well, to those who gave thanks, you are most welcome! And I love that pirate lid Talae!

It may be a bit late for an answer, but the vinyl I used for the 'windows' is clear 'tablecloth' vinyl. I got it at WalMart (when they still had fabric sections), but I'm sure it could be found at most fabric and craft stores. It's sold by the yard in varying thicknesses. I use it now to wrap the backs of my homemade cages to keep the backgrounds 'water proof'.

Glad to see my treatment is still helping people!
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Hi there! Quick question, if you don't mind. I'm in the process of putting together a 20 long with a clear acrylic top (on top of screen), held in place with foil heating and air conditioning tape. Is it ok for the acrylic aka plexiglass to be on top of the screen? Also, how much of a gap would you recommend leaving open for air circulation? We keep our home slightly cool, but comfortable. 68-ish or so. Thank you for your time!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeRMz View Post
    Hi there! Quick question, if you don't mind. I'm in the process of putting together a 20 long with a clear acrylic top (on top of screen), held in place with foil heating and air conditioning tape. Is it ok for the acrylic aka plexiglass to be on top of the screen? Also, how much of a gap would you recommend leaving open for air circulation? We keep our home slightly cool, but comfortable. 68-ish or so. Thank you for your time!
    Hmm, are you talking about the acrylic covering the ENTIRE screen top? That's what it sounds like. You can do this, but you'll want to drill holes at one end if not both for air circulation. If you leave a gap between the acrylic and the screen top, you might as well not have it up there at all. The point is to cover the screen entirely to keep heat and humidity inside the tank, while leaving a small section for ventilation.
    My recommendation with acrylic would be to set it right on the lid with a set of small holes drilled on one side to replace the open area in the foil treatment. (Remember when drilling into acrylic to sandwich it between wood pieces to avoid splits and cracks).

But, since BPs seem more comfortable with a solid 'roof', I would recommend the foil or other solid treatment instead. Just my two cents.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for responding! I actually meant to say, lay the acrylic sheet on top of the screen (no gap in between screen and acrylic), and leave maybe an inch or three of bare screen over the hot (?) side for ventilation. Small gap of bare screen instead of drilled holes. For example, the wire screen is 27" x 9" and I was thinking a sheet of acrylic cut to 24-26" x 9". I'm hoping a uth will keep all temps/humidity where they need to be without really needing a heat lamp. I'm not opposed to using one of my heat lamps in the winter, tho. Again, thanks for your time & feedback!
    1.0 Cat "Squirrel"
    1.0 66% Poss Het Clown "Lou-cifer"

Thanks

Oops, forgot to mention I will also be insulating the sides, back, and bottom of tank (bare glass next to the uth, that is.) with black foam sheeting.
    1.0 Cat "Squirrel"
    1.0 66% Poss Het Clown "Lou-cifer"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JeRMz For This Useful Post:

Ball2Drop (11-13-2016)

Thanks
    In that case, sounds good. I would say give it a try and see if it has the desired results.
    Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

JeRMz (11-30-2012)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast