Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,926

1 members and 2,925 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Tank Screen Top Foil Treatment Tutorial

Exactly what I was about to ask...thanks Del.

Yes, using the foil tape can be faster, but you would have to place it sticky side UP so the reflective part is facing down into the cage to reflect the heat (Also, as said, to make sure the snake can't come in contact with the VERY sticky underside of the tape). Since the sticky has to face up, you need to cover it with foil or duct tape anyway...so why not just use foil and duct?

Oh, and yes, snakes CAN get their tongues into those tiny holes in screen tops. I've seen mine do it.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Just to double check - you did make sure that the top isn't sticky from underneath ( where the snake is ) didn't you?

That foil tape is verrrrry sticky stuff.

dr del
    The screen is fairly thick and holes are tight together. Thanks for the good look though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Exactly what I was about to ask...thanks Del.

Yes, using the foil tape can be faster, but you would have to place it sticky side UP so the reflective part is facing down into the cage to reflect the heat (Also, as said, to make sure the snake can't come in contact with the VERY sticky underside of the tape). Since the sticky has to face up, you need to cover it with foil or duct tape anyway...so why not just use foil and duct?

Oh, and yes, snakes CAN get their tongues into those tiny holes in screen tops. I've seen mine do it.
    If you look at the pics again, you will see that the duct tape is on the screen around each of the vents. So either way you go, there is going to be tape stuck to the top. Appreciate the heads up though

Thanks

do you think this would be ok with a 100w zoo med powersun mercury vapor heat lamp in 20 gal tank? dont wanna cook him in a tin foil oven...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

All heat sources are supposed to be regulated by a thermostat that would stop it getting to dangerous temps.

I might be concerned that the screen might get too hot if that was running though so would double check that before putting the animal in the enclosure.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

do you mean the heat lamp has a built in thermostat? or i need to set one up?

Thanks

Hi,

You need to set one up - unregulated heat sources are a really bad idea all round.

If that bulb gives off visible light however you would be best opting for a proportional thermostat as the on/off type not only shorten the life of the bulb considerably the light going on and off will drive you nuts.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

i might have to get an off of one even though it puts out visible light. the zoo med website says the bulb needs specific line voltage so a rheostat isnt recomended...

Thanks

Hi,

To be honest at that point I'd replace the bulb.

Have you insulated the tank to see if you could get away with only using a small red bulb on a rheostat or even just the UTH on its own?

dr del
    Derek

Thanks
    How far would this treatment go towards raising the ambient temps in the enclosure (tub or tank)? Any rough ideas?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast