Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,499

3 members and 3,496 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

View Poll Results: Do you keep snakes and pet rats? (multiple choice)

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I keep snakes and rats, I also feed rats

74 59.20%
  • Yes I keep snakes and rats, I feed an alternative diet (sausage)

0 0%
  • Yes I keep snakes and rats, I feed mice

13 10.40%
  • Yes I keep snakes and rats, I feed ASF/ chicks/ other animal

7 5.60%
  • No. Only snakes

41 32.80%
  • No. Only rats

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Do you keep snakes and Pet rats?

I keep both. I had two pet rats before I ever got snakes. I just keep my pets separate from my breeders/feeders, that way I don't get too attached to the snake food. Although my breeders have become my pets and I couldn't kill them off at this point, they will just have to retire until they die of natural causes. Since I don't handle the feeder rats as much they don't really enjoy being held, although I will admit I do scratch or pet them whenever I'm in their cages.

I'm not sure how I do it other than I grew up on a farm in which our "pet" pigs/ducks/rabbits/chickens/sheep etc. were butchered and put on the table for dinner. In fact I have three baby ducks I raised from eggs (in my home) we will be murdering and eating in the next week. Maybe that's how I do it

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I raise both snakes and rats, but I don't consider the rats to be pets. More like livestock.
    exactly, they are to be treated humanely...

and anyone who wants to dissect that word might want to research where their hamburger comes from or their chicken. Striking a rat on the head properly is no more cruel than a bolt gun or a bleed funnel.

Thanks

Except, wacking on the head is no where near as decisive as an instant bolt through the skull, and does not have such a high margin of error. (bleed funnel, gods) Whacking on the head is recommended for neonatal animals. You're comparing apples to oranges, because bolts are used to kill rats too, comparing whacking to bolt is not the same...

This thread is about people who keep pet rats, not those who like to whack rats on the head.

Thanks

When the rats/mice/ASF are bought/born they are classified as food or pets, a pet will never be food although food can become pet if I want it to be. I don't allow myself to get attached to the food, but I love my pet rats, they are just as important to me as my pet snakes. I deal with the euthanasia of cats and dogs for no reason other than lack of homes while volunteering at the animal shelter and have even held animals for the shot so I guess at least the rats serve a purpose and its necessary for my snakes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Except, wacking on the head is no where near as decisive as an instant bolt through the skull, and does not have such a high margin of error. (bleed funnel, gods) Whacking on the head is recommended for neonatal animals. You're comparing apples to oranges, because bolts are used to kill rats too, comparing whacking to bolt is not the same...

This thread is about people who keep pet rats, not those who like to whack rats on the head.

a non penetrating bolt gun as used in kosher food does not go "through the skull". I relies on blunt force trauma as I stated before. Even penetrating bolt guns are not 100% effective...PETA has tons of info on this if you want proof.

And bleed funnels (which you didn't bother to even reply to) are used for mainly turkeys but sometimes chickens, the animals are palced in these upside down and their throats are cut...

but of course...this is okay but let's not strike a rat on the head.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

You might not want to get info from PETA without some independant corroboration.

I also wouldn't rely on Herod for information on how to raise children.

Just sayin.

And the reason we are trying to make the point on how you kill an animal you are legally responsible for has very little to do with how others choose to do it.

dr del
    Last edited by dr del; 08-04-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: adding last paragraph
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

You might not want to get info from PETA without some independant corroboration.

I also wouldn't rely on Herod for information on how to raise children.

Just sayin.

dr del
    hard to dispute their videos

I know how bolt guns work since I have relatives who are pig farmers. I know how effective and how "humane" they are also.

I just find it funny people raise a food source for another animal and treat it so delicately. However they don't seem to care how their own food sources are treated. I know what pigs are fed, hence I don't eat pork.

Thanks

Hi,

It's probably related to the fact that how their breakfast was killed by other people has no chance of getting them charged with animal abuse and all their animals removed.

Maybe you have a totally different system over there but over here the animal welfare organizations care a great deal more about mammals than they do about reptiles.

They also don't have the training in most cases to be able to truly identify mistreatment of reptiles outside of the most extreme examples - but they know putting a mammal in a sack and swinging it against a wall is illegal and will prosecute happily and get you banned from keeping any animals at all for years as a result.

A problem avoided is far better than one you have to deal with later.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

It's probably related to the fact that how their breakfast was killed by other people has no chance of getting them charged with animal abuse and all their animals removed.

Maybe you have a totally different system over there but over here the animal welfare organizations care a great deal more about mammals than they do about reptiles.

They also don't have the training in most cases to be able to truly identify mistreatment of reptiles outside of the most extreme examples - but they know putting a mammal in a sack and swinging it against a wall is illegal and will prosecute happily and get you banned from keeping any animals at all for years as a result.

A problem avoided is far better than one you have to deal with later.

dr del
    never seen an animal cruelty case in the US resulting from the care or intentional death of a rat.

I mean if we prosecuted someone for killing a rat by striking it on the head...we would have to outlaw snap traps.

Have you ever seen what decon does to a rat?

Thanks

Hi,

The law makes a plain difference between an animal you own and a wild animal though.

dr del
    Derek

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast