Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,285

3 members and 3,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Do you keep snakes and pet rats? (multiple choice)

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I keep snakes and rats, I also feed rats

74 59.20%
  • Yes I keep snakes and rats, I feed an alternative diet (sausage)

0 0%
  • Yes I keep snakes and rats, I feed mice

13 10.40%
  • Yes I keep snakes and rats, I feed ASF/ chicks/ other animal

7 5.60%
  • No. Only snakes

41 32.80%
  • No. Only rats

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: Do you keep snakes and Pet rats?

I did keep rats as pets until very recently(only did not replace the 'pet' rats because of time/space issues). I also bred most of the pet rats, and fed rats to the snakes/lizards.
    I really did not have any issue, becuase I did treat the feeder rats just as good as the 'pet' rats or the breeder rats. I used to have chickens, and I loved chickens, but also had no real issue with killing and butchering the chickens either.
    I did always have a couple here and there, that never got killed for food, but if they died of natural causes(as happens with both) then they became food for other critters without qualm.
    I eat meat. I eat goats, and chickens, and cows... and fish and such... and my snake eats rats. If rats had more meat on them, I'd probably eat rats too. I'm pretty much an omnivore. I've raised(or helped to raise) meat animals(including cows, goats, chickens, rabbits) and killed them for food.
    Somehow.. I would draw the line at a dog or cat.. but not at a rat or rabbit or bird. Yes, it's a little hypocritical, but dogs and cats have no purpose as food items in my culture(I understand other cultures eat them, but it's not my typical culture), so perhaps they get a 'free pass'.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

I am up to my eyeballs in allergy meds, so I may miss most of the points... but will do my best.

I feed rats, mice, ASFs, and FT chicks. As well I feed FT rats.

I try to feed FT to most, and get all my new hatchlings on FT, but mostly I feed live.

I love my pet rats, and ended up getting into rats after keeping snakes. My first batch of feeders ended up being to big to feed off (I was new to the hobby and misjudged), so I held them back as breeders.

The more time I spent with them, the more I enjoyed them. Smart and socialable, they were just a great animal. I had one female that was always escaping, and I would find her nearby every day, place her back and she would escape again.

Each time she got out I would sit with her and hold her and chat before putting her back in the cage. Eventually it came to a point where I knew she was out because she would come over and pull on my pant leg asking for a treat.

My first group were given very generous house privileges, with the above mentioned rat eventually getting her own cage with an open door. The only free-range rat I have had, and one of the best pets I could have ever asked for. She spent most of her time in her nest in my closest, and was always underfoot if we were around. Something very comforting about being up working at night and just catching a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye, having her tug (or crawl up) my pant leg, and knowing that if I did call her she would come running everytime.

Despite this, I do not have issues with feeding rats off. I can covet the parents, but I can feed the babes and I do not have any issue with it. But there is the odd occasion where one of us will bond to (purely on our part and for what reason I do not know) one of the pups and then it gets held back).

Trevor, Belle, Maurice, Pepper, Sven, Frank, Denise, Chantel, Clarisse, Suzanne, Gloria, and Sharon can all attest to that...

The times I notice I have problems, is euthanizing any rat that gets too big to feed off. I can euthanize them, but I always try to re-home them first. Even if they have simply been in the feeder bin without much interaction, as in no bonding. I have probably placed 40 rats as pets... and I am always recommending them to people. I do think they are one of the best pets. I think if every house had two rats in it as pets, the world would be a better place.

Feel free to roll your eyes there.

Same with as pets for kids. I think they are ideal. They teach love, compassion, responsibility, and yes... ultimately death and mourning. Seeing my friend's 5 year old daughter handfeeding her two pet rats while they perch on her shoulder as she watches TV is just a really great feeling.

Gerbils, ASFs, Mice... not so much. I like my colonies overall, and I appreciate their good dispositions (and I feel affection for them), but I can feed off retired breeders as easily as I can feed off the babes.

I can open a tub to find a dead breeder and feel *bad* but I still toss it. I open a tub to find a dead rat - breeder or pet, and I mourn each and everytime for them.

And what is a rat post without a few pics?

Praying for Stinger Bees

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Whitehead For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (04-22-2009)

Thanks

Bruce, I had hoped you would include pics!

Thanks

I understand how separating the feelings for both hobbies can be hard for many people, but I was surprised how easy the change was for me. I felt bad when we fed off our first litter, but quickly got used to the fact that I breed rats for fun and feeders and that either way, the rat was not going to waste.

On one hand, I find that keeping feeder/pet colonies mixed might make it a bit harder to separate the feelings, especially if you are feeding off the babies of your favorite momma. However, I would rather have this than people segregating colonies and clearly giving the pet rats attention, better enclosure care, etc while the feeder colony just gets the bare minimum to produce.

I guess I really have not said anything worthwhile, but basically it comes down to whether or not the rats, both as a species and individual animals, are being cared for and "used" efficiently. If they are used as feeders, they have a good purpose for their death, to sustain another life. If they are used as pets, they bring joy to the keeper. I don't think it is up to anyone but the individual keeper to decide which is right, wrong or better.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

I am surprised to see 13 people (besides myself) keep pet rats and also feed off rats!

Thanks

I keep snakes as pets / breeders, and I raise rats as feeders. I do not consider my rats as pets. I do take care of them, and keep them healthy, but am not upset in the slightest when my snakes eat them.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

First of all when I first start to own snakes I had a gut feeling that feeding the mice and rats off would be just an uncrossable hurdle for me. I soon found out that while it sucks major to have to end an animals life I also understand that the feeders are bred, fed and raised for this purpose.

I have hundreds of feeder rats and I have a few that are pets I have a big Dumbo boy that is the nicest rat ever..I love him to death and he gets extra speical treats and privlages in the room.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Great thread Connie!!! I have pet rats and I love them to death. I'm much more attached to my rats than my snakes, well... except for my bumblebee who has no idea he's a Ball Python.

It is very difficult for me to feed my rats to my snakes. It's also really hard to feed mice to my snakes but not quite as bad. I thought it would get easier with time but it has actually gotten harder. I dread feeding day every week!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069
    I keep snakes as pets / breeders, and I raise rats as feeders. I do not consider my rats as pets. I do take care of them, and keep them healthy, but am not upset in the slightest when my snakes eat them.

Thanks for the input. I am however specifically looking for people that keep PET rats, and pet snakes.

Thanks

I have a feeling people are not voting on the poll correctly... so screw the poll I guess. :/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast