Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

1 members and 3,077 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Helping a friend

A woman I work with bought 2 tortoises from Petsmart. Both were supposed to be Russians I believe but the vet she took them too told her it was one Russian and one Greek. And of course one is male and one is female and they have been active. She is preparing for eggs but isnt sure what all she should do. She is moving them to an outside enclosure so the female can dig a burrow to lay. But from there are the eggs ok to incubate in the soil or should she do it artificially? Any info on this and maybe the gestation period wouldbe fantastic!
    Tina
    0.1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- Hubert and Cefira
    2.1 Pitbulls- Roscoe. Jake. Ellie
    1.0 Great Pyrenees- Kodiak
    0.0.1 Yellow Spotted Salamander- Salamander
    0.1 Marbled Salamander- Mandie

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Helping a friend

She got a pair of adult, sexually mature torts from Petsmart? I don't think I've ever seen anything but babies for sale at a retail place. Sorry I don't know enough about breeding to answer the questions, though!
    -- Judy

Thanks

The tortoises were there for over a year before she bought them discounted because they wanted the torts gone so they could get something else in there. They were displaying behaviors such as bumping a couple months ago and she said she has seen them get together 3 times now.

And it is amazing because all the other reptiles we get are so tiny... beardies have to be hatchlings and we have two veiled chameleons that have to be very young, they are about an inch and a half. We have adult leopard geckos there that have been there since we opened more than a year ago that we still havent sold.
    Tina

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

I wish I had advice for your friend, but I'm not well versed in tortoise. I will say however that if she successfully hatches out eggs, they will be the cutest darn reptiles ever.

I love tortoises and can't wait until I'm able to get one of my own

Thanks

Vet said the Russian the Greek can sucessfully breed... she said she is going to call them Greessians. I am so excited to be able to see baby torts hatch! Its exciting we just have to find the right info now!
    Tina

Thanks

So you don't know for sure what they are? Then how do you even know what sex they are? And if there are different types of torts, why do you think they will be able to reproduce?

Different torts have very different diet and care requirements, so putting them together is not advised. Especially if you do not fully understand their different requirements.

Most Russians, espeically pet store torts, are adult or juvi wild caught and generally come packed with parasites and other potential issues.

Do you have pics? We could help idenify the species and if you can get a pic of the bottom tail end, we can help witht the sex as well...

Chad
    www.iherp.com/wafisherman

Ball Python, 2 Dumiril's Boas, Mexican Boa
    Russian Tortoise, 3 Sulcata Tortoises,
    3 E. Box Turtles and one 3-Toed Box Turtle
    Dog, Cat, Bearded Dragon
    2 Leo Geckos, Tiger Salamander, 2 Water Dragons
    Chickens, Rabbits, Ducks, Pilgram Geese
    2 Olberhasli milking goats
    7 kids and one amazing wife!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wafisherman For This Useful Post:

CTReptileRescue (05-24-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulls4me View Post
    Vet said the Russian the Greek can sucessfully breed... she said she is going to call them Greessians. I am so excited to be able to see baby torts hatch! Its exciting we just have to find the right info now!
    Just make sure you keep them separated for now on, we don't need hybrids dirtying up lines if give away the babys.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wafisherman View Post
    So you don't know for sure what they are? Then how do you even know what sex they are? And if there are different types of torts, why do you think they will be able to reproduce?

Different torts have very different diet and care requirements, so putting them together is not advised. Especially if you do not fully understand their different requirements.

Most Russians, espeically pet store torts, are adult or juvi wild caught and generally come packed with parasites and other potential issues.

Do you have pics? We could help idenify the species and if you can get a pic of the bottom tail end, we can help witht the sex as well...
    The store sold them as both Russians or Greeks, not sure which one. They were recently at the vet for a check up and the vet told her they were two different torts one of each sex (Again I am not sure which is which as she just wants to know how to prepare for eggs) I assure you she takes wonderful care of the torts so I dont think there is an issue there. I am pretty sure she keeps them in seperate habitats but does let them go outside together or walk around the house together and that is when they were mating. I dont have pictures as they are not mine.

The torts have been vet checked and they did have parasites but have since been taken care of for both of them.

Does anyone have any info on how to incubate the eggs and the requirements if it comes down to that?
    Tina

Thanks

The best thing to do with any eggs would be to put them in the freezer, so that they do not develop. And then she can later throw away the frozen eggs.

I agree with Beardedragon - there is no need to mix species. In general, people that cannot identify the species of their animals should do everything they can to prevent them from breeding.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranger For This Useful Post:

CTReptileRescue (05-24-2009)