Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,847

1 members and 2,846 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Questions about proper business conduct

EDIT : WHOA, this is supposed to be in business. Could a mod move it to the correct location?

So, i do commissions for customers and i occasionally run into a nasty customer, or hear of other artists that run into them. What do you guys normally do if you have a particularly... odd customer?

I suppose i'll use art examples since those are the best I can think of:

You have a customer who you complete a commission for, they seem happy with the image, it is sent off and they receive it. After receiving it, they proceed to bash you saying it is not of the right quality (when they are familiar with your work) and they they are going to report you to common artist-beware communities, etc. (or they receive a snake, claim its not what its supposed to be and say they are going to out you to fauna). What is appropriate action in this situation? (if the animal is a het, you have document paperwork and breeding images to back it up, you take accurate beautiful pictures and keep great records that were sent off with the animal).

Is there anything you can do to "cover your bum" assuming you have sound business practices and are honest with your customers?

Any other anecdotal information that is reliant is also welcome. I would love to learn about this.

I know to NEVER send artwork (or snakes) without receiving payment in full and making sure the payment method has cleared so that isn't much of an issue.

I do want to do some small time hobby breeding in the future, and I want to learn how to best solve or avoid these situations in the first place before they become a problem. Any advice for newbie or to-be future hobbiest and breeders?

Registered User Freddiesinmyseat's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Questions about proper business conduct

well, I think what would be in order first is to get your item back (seller covers shipping on return?). if it's not the item the buyer is looking for then a refund would probably be in order but only after you have received the merchandise and verified its contents. if the buyer is unwilling to do so it will probably be a long, drawn out situation. you might have to report the buyer in fact.

what I would do is try to find out info on the buyer, look up "beware" posts in forums and communities and see if the person has a reputation as doing this kind of thing.

I haven't done any kind of online business so I don't know if this is even relevant info lol. However, I've worked in retail for a good while and the deal is the customer with the complaint brings the item back with receipt. If item is in full working order then a full refund is returned. If the item is broken or has missing parts, the customer is encouraged to exchange it for something similar while either being reimbursed or paying for the difference in value. If the customer returns an item without receipt or after the valid return period, the company would be willing to give in store credit or an exchange for something of equal or higher value with the consumer paying the difference.

this isn't the policy that all companies have, but it's pretty straightforward.

I'd also love to hear any information people have on this topic myself lol!

Good luck
    Visit my blog sometime! Fadere's Cirque du Chaos
    0.2 Normal Ball (Buttery McMuffintop aka Freddie, Slender Q. Thunderpants aka Slim)
    0.1 DSH Housecat (Loki aka Wafflenoggin)