Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,358

1 members and 2,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

GA Opposes HR669!!!!

I just got this from my Georgia Rep!!!

Dear Mr. Palmer:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about H.R. 669. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

H.R. 669 was introduced by Representative Madeleine Bordallo (D-Guam) on January 26, 2009. This bill would require that the Secretary of the U.S. Department of the Interior establish a process for assessing the risk of all non-native wildlife species proposed for importation into the U.S. In addition, the bill requires the Secretary to develop a list of approved species and unapproved species for importation. This measure is currently pending before the House Natural Resources Committee where it awaits further consideration.

While I appreciate the serious economic and environmental impacts that non-native species have on our local communities, I am not convinced that H.R. 669 is necessary. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Division of Law Enforcement already inspects imports at 38 major U.S. airports, ocean ports, and border crossings where the majority of species are brought into the U.S. FWS inspectors focus on detecting and deterring illegal trade in protected species and preventing the introduction of injurious wildlife. In addition, FWS inspectors work with their state counterparts to enforce the myriad state, Federal, and international laws on the importation of non-native wildlife. Should an injurious non-native species still find its way into the U.S., FWS has a sophisticated network of regional and local offices that continually search for these species and find ways to eradicate them.

Considering the many state, Federal, and international laws that govern the importation of non-native species, and the success that FWS has had in preventing and mitigating the problems caused by non-native species, I believe that H.R. 669 is duplicative and unnecessary. As such, should it come to the House floor for a vote, I would be inclined to oppose its passage.

Thank you again for contacting me. If I may be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to call on me.

Sincerely,

John Linder
    Member of Congress

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AaronP For This Useful Post:

juddb (04-20-2009),neilgolli (04-20-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: GA Opposes HR669!!!!

HOORAY! one win at a time

This John Linder of yours says it very nicely, EXACTLY how I feel about this bill.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I John Linder! But then I've loved him since he sponsored the Fair Tax as well! And HE will be one who will actually act and take action against the bill when it comes up for a vote.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

I knew about him from Fair Tax sponsorship, sounds like a guy I'd have less qualms about voting for than most people who run for office

Thanks

onsidering the many state, Federal, and international laws that govern the importation of non-native species, and the success that FWS has had in preventing and mitigating the problems caused by non-native species, I believe that H.R. 669 is duplicative and unnecessary. As such, should it come to the House floor for a vote, I would be inclined to oppose its passage.

More proof that we just need to enforce the laws already at hand. Gun control being the major one.
    Chondro-holic

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Yeap, it's official.

David is the official BP.net Morelia-picture-taker-putter-on-the-internet-er!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I John Linder! But then I've loved him since he sponsored the Fair Tax as well! And HE will be one who will actually act and take action against the bill when it comes up for a vote.
    Ditto that!
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand