Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,764

2 members and 2,762 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Sad day

Thanks

Sad day

So the boyfiend and I found a house for rent that we're absolutely in love with. We're signing the lease tomorrow, moving in May 1st. We're super excited. The house is really great, utilities are included in the price and there's a big old reptile room for my little ones.

They are making us pay a $200 non-refundable "pet deposit" because I have a cat. Mind you she's spayed and almost 12 years old, and the house has hard wood floors. So it's not like she's going to spray or or scratch anything up. She loves her cardboard catnip scratchers way too much to think about scratching anything else... Yet no matter what, we will never see that $200 again. So I said, screw that. If I'm paying $200 pet deposit, I'm getting a dog!

Myself, I'm totally in love with Rottweilers. Have been since I was a wee one and my friend had a huge rottie named Gator. The boyfiend likes goldens. So I figured since he doesn't bat an eyelash when I tell him I started payments on another snake, or when I tell him I want to get chameleons and monitors and boas and etc, etc, etc... That he should get to pick the dog. He's also pretty partial to rotties, mastifs, bulldogs... We both agree we just want a BIG dog. Yesterday we went to the shelter (there's only one around here unfortunately) and looked at all the dogs. I cried like a little girl with a skinned knee the whole time we were there. It was so sad, especially the dogs that are like 8 years old because you just know they're going to spend the rest of their lives there.

There were a couple dogs we liked alot, both were older. But unfortunately neither of them were good around kids, and I have 2 little nephews that I spend alot of time with. Actually almost none of the dogs there were approved for homes with kids under 10. So that was kinda a bust.

So last night I was at work, and I happened to be telling somebody about the shelter and a customer asks what kind of dog we were looking for. I said just something big, so she says that she has 2 rottweiler puppies left after selling like 6 already, and so she was willing to give them away really cheap just to be done with it I guess. Basically for the cost of the shots she had gotten them. So I start freaking out, the boyfiend agrees to a rottie, I start rationalizing to myself that it's okay to get a puppy from someplace other than a shelter as long as we get him nuetered... I was seriously jumping up and down, wigging out. I have ALWAYS wanted a rottie.

So today I was sitting here looking up info on training rottweiler puppies, and as I'm like mid-paragraph reading something or other about Rottweilers, my phone rings. It's the landlord-to-be and she changed her mind. She says we cannot have a dog.

I'm SO angry. If it wasn't for the shelter saying that we needed written permission from the landlord to adopt a dog then I never would have asked her about the dog to begin with. I would have just gotten a dog. If it doesn't say in the lease that you can't have a dog then they can't do anything, right? But now she has plenty of time to add it to the lease, which we are signing tomorrow. I'm so dumb. I should have just held my tounge and not said anything about it until after we were moved in.

We were so excited. It would have been perfect because my days off of work are Monday and Tuesday, my boyfiend's are fri, sat & sunday and we work different shifts. So the puppy would never have to be home alone. And there's a cemetary next to the house where people walk their dogs all the time, and I could even bring him to work with me. Everyone brings their dogs here.

Booooo!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sad!!! I wish that I wasn't so in love with this house.

Sorry for the super crazy long post.. I needed to vent.

Dizzy (Is never online anymore )

BPs:
    0.1 pinstripe (Brody)
    1.0 normal (Rogue)
    1.0 pastel (Valo)
    0.2 het albino (Dali & Vee Vee)
    1.1 het orange ghost (Max & Brook)
    0.4 poss. het pied (Polly, Nic, Marla & Fertility)

0.0.1 albino pacman frog
    0.0.4 fire bellied toads

1.0 bearded dragon (Bart)

0.1 the best cat in the world (Salem)
    2.0 kittens (Donny & Walter)

Thanks

Re: Sad day

Sorry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OhBalls For This Useful Post:

dizzy (04-18-2009)

Registered User Repfanaticlady28's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you found out BEFORE you got a dog. The same thing happened to me when I moved into a townhouse in NY. It said no dogs over 30 pounds, so I went and got a dog from the SPCA.....even got approval from the apartment complex. A week later the manager of the complex calls me freaking out because we have a dog. Turns out you can have dogs in the apartments, but not in the townhouses which doesn't make sense, but whatever. I tried to fight it since they don't have separate leases and I signed a lease saying I could have a dog under 30 pounds, but unless you want to spend the money in court there isn't much you can do about it. I spent 7 years without a dog because of renting. Eventually you will find a place that will let you keep a dog, or you'll buy your own place. Until then you can enjoy other peoples' dogs. Kinda like grandchildren......you can spoil them rotten and then send them home to their parents....lol. I know it's not the same, but it's better than not having a dog in your life at all.
    Brook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Repfanaticlady28 For This Useful Post:

dizzy (04-18-2009)

Thanks

I would have fought it tooth and nail if I was you. If it says in the lease that you can have a dog then what can they do about it? Evict you? Don't leave. If they send the cops, show them the lease. You did nothing wrong.

But yes, it is fun hanging out with other people's dogs. My friend has a half american Rot, hald red nose pitbull puppy... She's like 13 weeks maybe.. I borrow her all the time, just to run around with her and stuff, or bring her to play with my nephews. I like to do the same with them. Borrow the nephews, load them full of sugar and give them back.

I work at a liquor store and people always bring their dogs inside and I give them lots of beef jerky

There's a guy with a HUGE rottie named Tank, and this one guy with the sweetest, mellowest cocker spaniel I've ever seen that happens to only have one eye. This one lady has 3 of the most massive goldens you could imagaine... Like over 100 pounds... That's huge for a golden, isn't it?

So yes, atleast I do get to enjoy other people's puppys. Thank you, you did make me feel better

But seeing those puppies does kinda make me want my own even more.

*sigh* atleast I'll have more time and money for the reptile collection. Doggies are expensive to maintain. I can't really breed a dog's food myself. lol

That and my kittie would hate me if I got a dog. She doesn't like other animals, of any kind. She's getting old too. I should just wait till she passes before I get a dog.

Dizzy (Is never online anymore )

BPs:
    0.1 pinstripe (Brody)
    1.0 normal (Rogue)
    1.0 pastel (Valo)
    0.2 het albino (Dali & Vee Vee)
    1.1 het orange ghost (Max & Brook)
    0.4 poss. het pied (Polly, Nic, Marla & Fertility)

0.0.1 albino pacman frog
    0.0.4 fire bellied toads

1.0 bearded dragon (Bart)

0.1 the best cat in the world (Salem)
    2.0 kittens (Donny & Walter)

Registered User Repfanaticlady28's Avatar
    Thanks

I would have fought it tooth and nail if I was you. If it says in the lease that you can have a dog then what can they do about it? Evict you? Don't leave. If they send the cops, show them the lease. You did nothing wrong.
    I would have fought it if I thought the dog would have actually worked out with us, but she kept stealing my daughter's food and snarling at her, so she would have had to go back anyway. I don't live there anymore and I now have 2 wonderful dogs, so it all worked out well in the end.

Other tenants that lived in the townhouses did fight it and won. They got to get dogs, or keep the dogs they had, but you can bet that there was a separate lease banning dogs when their current leases were up. That's what sucks about renting and owning pets. The landlords can change their minds any time they want. There's not really much you can do about it unless what they're doing is completely illegal.
    Brook

Thanks

That really sucks! Big hugs coming your way Dizzy.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post:

dizzy (04-19-2009)