Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

3 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: OK..So What Alternatives Can WE Propose?

Quote Originally Posted by neilgolli View Post
    I hate it..... 1, you don't have to pass your driving test 100%, 70% passes you. 2, I have a 200 pound dog. Should i have to get a permit for that as well? Why should reptiles be treated differently than dogs or cats? They (dogs and cats) create AND harm 1,000 times as many people and the environment that reptiles do. While attempting to fight the problems that face us, why should we hide like 2nd class citizens. Why should we be held to standards not seen in other industries. Last I checked, while this country is barely what our forefathers fought and died for, this was still the United States of America and day by day, we are just giving that all away. Our pets, our business, OUR RIGHTS should not be infringed upon any greater than that of others.
    Well what do you suggest we do then? No matter how hard we fight to keep our rights to own our reptiles some idiot is going to release one to screw us over again .Last i checked you should have a permit for your dog its called a license and if he gets loose the tags will give your info .So the only differance in what i suggested would be you would have to pass said test with a 100% score NOT one point lower.Those of us with the brains and knowlege of reptiles will pass with ease.The idiots who caused this crap will NOT pass
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

I believe that there should be a system implemented similar to the way one receives a falconry permit. I'll lay it out for you...

Step 1: I take a test about falconry at my state's Fish and Game office. I must get an 80%.

Step 2: I find a sponsor who in a General Falconer. This means he has actively flown birds of pray for three or more years. Sometimes Steps 1 and 2 are reversed, it depends on the state.

Step 3: I get my facilities and equipment inspected and passed. I purchase a hunting license. I send off paperwork verifying I have done such to the the state.

Step 4: The state sends me their part of my falconry license. I then send a copy of this, plus the other paperwork to my federal Fish and Game office.

Step 5: The federal office sends me my license and I'm ready for a bird!!

As you can see, I had to jump through a lot of hoops to become a falconer. This process helps to weed out the lazy and those who just want a BOP to look "cool". Now, I'm not saying that to own a large snake or a hot we have to have this many steps to get a license, but I do think that by needing one, we can weed out the lazy and unworthy. If you truly want to own one of these amazing animals, then it won't kill you to obtain a permit. Perhaps some sort of class, than a test?

These are just suggestions to throw around. I personally think that it wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean, setting up a good burm or escape proof hot enclosure costs a bit, so what's one more step? Especially if the money or taxes for the cost of the permit goes to something educational or to help preserve habitats.
    *Micah*
    My blog

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

They need to look back and see how 99% of all non native species became wild in the united states. this video will tell you how.

YouTube - Hurricane Andrew 1992

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

dr del (04-20-2009)

Thanks

guam has a permit system but they dont approve permits!

Thanks

Once again tho, no one is denying that we are being treated unfairly as exotic pet owners, but I don't think it helps us to dwell on that until we find some viable options for our pets. We can help take care of the overpopulation of dogs and cats later- when we aren't in the middle of fighting for out hobbies vary survival.
    1.0 Ball Python- Lennie
    1.0 Brooks Kingsnake- Buddy

Registered User grim reaper in NY's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmcclurelssu View Post
    Once again tho, no one is denying that we are being treated unfairly as exotic pet owners, but I don't think it helps us to dwell on that until we find some viable options for our pets. We can help take care of the overpopulation of dogs and cats later- when we aren't in the middle of fighting for out hobbies vary survival.

That's my exact point. IF we are to keep our hobby alive, we need to come up with viable solutions to appease the politicians who are so hell-bent on depriving us of our pets.
    It does no good for us to sit here and point fingers at dog and cat owners and the gross overpopulation of those pets. We all know how ridiculous the cat and dog population has gotten here, but that doesn't take the spotlight away from our reptiles.
    And, it's just like Senator Schumer asked me last week, if we can't come up with viable options for our reptile pets, then the ball will fall into the courts of the politicians and they will dictate what we can and can't do. Personally, I don't want any politician telling me what pet I can and can't keep. We CAN come up with solutions people, we just have to get over the finger pointing and stop trying to cast the spotlight on other pets. This is our battle NOW and as such, we need to address our strategies NOW, not after the politicians have passed the laws and dictated the fate of our pets.
    Later,

Bri

0.1 - Pastel Ball Python
    2.0 - Normal Ball Pythons

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234