Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,945

4 members and 2,941 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

So I am building a "sideways" rack

In a few weeks I am going to start my great adventure of building a sideways rack so I can use 32qt and 16qt tubs in the same rack.

Now I want to use 4" flexwatt but I have heard mixed reactions about using flexwatt on the long side of a tub. I want to know what you think about this method and if you think it will provide a good thermal gradient in a 22.5"x14.75" tub, the flexwatt going on the 22.5" side.

Also, if you have any sideways racks (including professionally made ones) please post them! I really want to see how people use them and how they work.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Re: So I am building a "sideways" rack

Hey man. I'm already excited to see how your project turns out! I personally have a boaphile sideways rack. The flexwatt goes lengthwise like you are talking about, and I like the gradient, though I think my tubs are a bit bigger than the ones you are talking about. As of yesterday (I'm not home, or rather actually home and not at my apartment, haha) the heat tape temp is at 93-94 and the cool side is 80, with 60-70% humidity. Those numbers are ridiculously solid, aside from the humidity. When ya spray it spikes, then drops to the average.

None of my snakes seem to have a problem thermoregulating in the rack. As you can see in the video I'm using litter boxes for hides, there is actually a warm and cold side (ish) to the hide. If they want something in the middle, they lay on top of the hide, and the coolest is at the front of the cage.

I took this video a couple months ago. The audio got all messed up. It WAS seamless, but oh well. The first part shows the rack. I'll take a couple pictures for you when I go home tomorrow. Let me know if there is anything on it you want to see!

YouTube - My Ball Python Collection, Rack, and Some Feeding!
    0.1 '05 Het. Hypo - Lelu
    1.0 '06 Hypo - Chester ; 0.1 '11 hypo holdback
    0.1 '07 Woma - Cleopatra aka Cleo
    1.0 '11 Pinstripe het hypo
    0.1 '06 German Shepard Runt - Mika (me-kuh)
    "it's not like cool-aide. its like..you know that powder that you put in water that makes it flavored" -you know who you are

Thanks

Awesome, some gutsy pictures of that rack would be great!
    I was looking to maybe buy that rack but I really want to personalize my own
    ~Steffe

Thanks

i just built one a few weeks ago using the iris 375 and 570 tubs from the container store. i used back heat it works pretty good. i also have 2 more racks with the same tubs/backheat i got from pvccages.com.

what i noticed is that these 2 different tubs are not exactly the same height so you have to play with it to find what works the best. if you build it with the 375 tubs using a cd as a spacer it will be way taller than the 570 tubs

Thanks

The only thing I don't like about back heat is that I won't be able to adjust different levels of the rack. I am fairly interested in adding a second species (corns) in the future so I want to be able to lower the temp for them.

Alright, so I am looking at shelving stuff from home cheapo and there are tons of pre-cut shelves but none of them are wider than 12". The tubs I am getting are 15" wide. So hmmm. I was thinking I could pull the shelf flush with the front of the rack and then just shove some random wood or something in the back to hold up the flexwatt. Does this sound like it would work? or should I just buy some bigger sheets and cut them all down (I really dislike working in the shop at my school, there is this great big meanie of a teacher who always noses into my business, even though I have every right to use the equipment there for whatever I please.)

So there is this: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...01+500474+1679
    and
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...01+500474+1679
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My racks are "sideways" and I have 4" flexwatt at the back of the tub and I have a decent gradient.

Thanks

I have a couple of "wide" racks for 28 qt / 12 qt tubs with 4" flexwatt across the back of the shelves (belly heat) and all my snakes are thriving in there, as well as breeding and laying healthy eggs. One of these was the first rack I built and they are doing great in there.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

The precut pieces of melamine that i bought for my rack is 15.5" wide...they are finished on all edges except one...heres the link to that thread..

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...94#post1012494

I liked these pieces instead of cutting sheets of melamine...melamine ALWAYS chips around the edges, and thats something that i didnt want to deal with...
    -George Blake
    OuijaBoid - Raleigh, NC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OuijaBoid View Post
    The precut pieces of melamine that i bought for my rack is 15.5" wide...they are finished on all edges except one...heres the link to that thread..

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...94#post1012494

I liked these pieces instead of cutting sheets of melamine...melamine ALWAYS chips around the edges, and thats something that i didnt want to deal with...
    If you use the right saw and blade it doesn't chip, and I always use the 3/4" melamine iron-on tape to finish all the raw edges. All my racks are melamine that waqs cut down from 24 x 96" sheets, and they all look clean.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Yeah I don't want to cut melamine but I also don't want my rack to be white, thus why I am looking at other precut materials.
    ~Steffe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast