Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,127

1 members and 3,126 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Another HR669 thread... what the words really say

Quote Originally Posted by Smith285 View Post
    This states that there must be scientific fact backing up the determination of the unapproved list.
    This is part of the confusing way the bill is written. There will be 3 lists (if I understand it correctly). Well, groups might be more accurate than lists.

The first group is those that get on the "ok" list. It starts out with house cats, cattle and oxen, chickens, dogs, donkeys and asses, domesticated geese, domesticated ducks, goats, goldfish, horses, llamas, mules and hinnys, pigs and hogs, domesticated rabbits, and sheep. That's it. Then the USFWS has 2 years to add to this list. That does not mean that anything WILL get added.

The second group is those that get on the "definitely not ok" list. It starts out with those that are already declared injurious species. I believe that currently includes: the mongoose of the species Herpestes auropunctatus, the species of so-called “flying foxes” or fruit bats of the genus Pteropus, and the zebra mussel of the species Dreissena polymorpha. Yes, that's right, only 3 different species/groups of species.

The third group is the "everything else" group. Any nonnative species that does not get on the "ok" list would still be illegal to import, buy, sell, breed, and transport across state lines, EVEN IF THEY ARE NEVER PUT ON THE "NOT OK" LIST. This is what people are talking out with the "guilty until proven innocent" way this law is written. Unless and until someone spends the money and does the research and convinces the USFWS to put something on the "ok" list, it will become an illegal species.

This is why this bill is so very scary. There is nothing to say that even one species will be added to the "ok" list. And any and all species that aren't declared "ok" will become illegal.
    Casey

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kc261 For This Useful Post:

Smith285 (04-13-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

thanks for the feedback guys, clears up some things.

they sure did make this thing confusing... I'm by no means a genius, but I am a good student who usually understands texts and I can't figure this dang thing out I've read it 80 times and catch something new each time.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    The third group is the "everything else" group. Any nonnative species that does not get on the "ok" list would still be illegal to import, buy, sell, breed, and transport across state lines, EVEN IF THEY ARE NEVER PUT ON THE "NOT OK" LIST. This is what people are talking out with the "guilty until proven innocent" way this law is written. Unless and until someone spends the money and does the research and convinces the USFWS to put something on the "ok" list, it will become an illegal species.

This is why this bill is so very scary. There is nothing to say that even one species will be added to the "ok" list. And any and all species that aren't declared "ok" will become illegal.
    that is scary, didn't even think of that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12