Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,152

2 members and 3,150 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Do NOT feed Goldfish. A Must read for fish-eating snake keepers!

Problem is, Levi will only eat out of his water dish (he's not exactly what one would call tame). So, unless it doesn't dissolve in water, I'm still at square one.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

You'd probably have to ask to be certain but I don't think the set gelatin would dissolve in cool water?

I would however feed and test it in a seperate bowl to the water supply to prevent contamination of the drinking water.

But asking the chef would be my next step.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Haha. Feeding in any other container but the home cage results in no eating by Levi. He's a picky little thing. Once he finishes his shed, I'll be seeing if I can get him to eat by hand using some guppies.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I meant just placing a feeding bowl in his normal tank.

Have you shared any pictures of him with us or are you waiting till after he has shed?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

I'll try the feed bowl bit as well. I don't have any pictures up of him, but I'll go toss some up of him from when he shed last month.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Raptor For This Useful Post:

dr del (07-14-2009)

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Do NOT feed Goldfish. A Must read for fish-eating snake keepers!

I have a Checkered Garter Hatchling and had been told By The Pet Store that Rosy Reds were safe! I searched to be sure and bam! They aren't! Thanks for the help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    eds, a.k.a "tuffies", fathead minnows... etc... they are NOT SAFE for your snake.
    I've used this thread a lot and love it but at the pet store, a lady had had garters for over 15 years and fed them on tuffies and they live for a long time on them. Also, garters only live for around 8 years and it can take that long or longer for a lack of Vitamin B1 to take effect.

Thanks

Tto Raptor

As for your problem with your snake, mine will only eat if I put the pinky on his feeding rock and leave him alone for a few hours or so. He also might not take to whatever your feeding him. We tried earthworms, fish fillet, and feeder fish before we tried a pinky. The first food he actually took.

Thanks

Question Re: Do NOT feed Goldfish. A Must read for fish-eating snake keepers!

I am a bit confused to tell you frankly
    But the post is very informative ..

My situation is this , I own a female corn snake , she eat defrost mice i store and give her once a week
    My problem is that I usually buy a stock of those (say 10 or so) once those are finished I need to drive a bit far to buy another stock for the future
    As local pet stores in my area do not hold small mice or rodents fit for my snake size (only big grown ones which are way to big)

Has it happened I was searching for a comb for my dog and was in such a store that did not hold rodents of any sort fit for my snake , so I generally asked a girl there which was very nice if they have mice or rodunts and she said they do not hold them , but... guppies (fish) can do fine for my sort of snake...so I bought one (the price is equal to the price I buy small rodents ) and took it home.

I then tried to give it to the snake in a small flat bowl but she (the snake) did not seem to understand it was food...so I took it out...and she smelled it but did not eat it
    So..I took it back to the snake water dish , and left it there, when I came back the fish was gone , I am quite certian she ate it as it was shown on her and the fish was gone..

That led me to think ... why not breed guppies ? and be done with the endless and useless runs to the pet store?
    But I did see that guppies contain "presumed to be low thiaminase content." so they do? or not?
    I saw this at those searches:
    http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co...p/t-89249.html
    And in here it says: "Bacteria producing Thiaminase have been found in Guppies - Poecilia reticulata."
    If you search this Url for key word:'Guppies' : http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Thiaminase
    And this one said it is in small doses: http://www.gartersnake.info/articles...thiaminase.php
    so searching on and on...my question is:

Is it safe to give my corn snake > Guppies (fish) for the long run ?
    Can you or any one let me know?
    Would appreciate a direct feedback with an educated and studied answer..
    thx
    Last edited by mor; 01-01-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks

any update?

Quote Originally Posted by mor View Post
    I am a bit confused to tell you frankly
    But the post is very informative ..

My situation is this , I own a female corn snake , she eat defrost mice i store and give her once a week
    My problem is that I usually buy a stock of those (say 10 or so) once those are finished I need to drive a bit far to buy another stock for the future
    As local pet stores in my area do not hold small mice or rodents fit for my snake size (only big grown ones which are way to big)

Has it happened I was searching for a comb for my dog and was in such a store that did not hold rodents of any sort fit for my snake , so I generally asked a girl there which was very nice if they have mice or rodunts and she said they do not hold them , but... guppies (fish) can do fine for my sort of snake...so I bought one (the price is equal to the price I buy small rodents ) and took it home.

I then tried to give it to the snake in a small flat bowl but she (the snake) did not seem to understand it was food...so I took it out...and she smelled it but did not eat it
    So..I took it back to the snake water dish , and left it there, when I came back the fish was gone , I am quite certian she ate it as it was shown on her and the fish was gone..

That led me to think ... why not breed guppies ? and be done with the endless and useless runs to the pet store?
    But I did see that guppies contain "presumed to be low thiaminase content." so they do? or not?
    I saw this at those searches:
    http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co...p/t-89249.html
    And in here it says: "Bacteria producing Thiaminase have been found in Guppies - Poecilia reticulata."
    If you search this Url for key word:'Guppies' : http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Thiaminase
    And this one said it is in small doses: http://www.gartersnake.info/articles...thiaminase.php
    so searching on and on...my question is:

Is it safe to give my corn snake > Guppies (fish) for the long run ?
    Can you or any one let me know?
    Would appreciate a direct feedback with an educated and studied answer..
    thx

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast