Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,974

2 members and 2,972 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: ASF Tell ALLS... Finally decided to reveal to my BP.net brothers and sisters....

The pine debate is always a large one it seems. I recently found a research study done that found no detremental affects to using pine and I switched to standard pine bedding at that time and have not had any issues thus far. Many labs use just pine as well. Ill see if i can find studya and post at some point. I forget the main point of how the cliched anti-pine statement is wrong.

Thanks

Re: ASF Tell ALLS... Finally decided to reveal to my BP.net brothers and sisters....

Is 14% protein hog feed ok if I a supplement with extra protein? Like at but of cat or dog food has been suggested. If those options work can I get the stuff at a box store like petsmart? Or is the stuff there not of the best quality?

I also feed all my rats a bird feed mix with a lot of millet.
    6.21 ball pythons
    0.1 Suriname BCC, Florida Redtail line
    Lots of ASFs

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Bump. headed to get more hog feed and couldn't remember the right protein %.... lol took me forever to find this thread!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Just read through the origional thread and the only real change I have made since then is that I got rid of the food hoppers for the grow out tubs. Now I just dump the food on the substrate with those as well. A little harder to measure the food because there is always a different number of rats in them... but after a while you get a feel for how much food they need without the waste.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Thanks again for the information, Mike, but after having been using the hog feed for a few months now, I have a problem and was seeking suggestions.....

I don't own a separate freezer for FT rats, or anything large enough for a bag. I've been experiencing problems with the dust mites. I know U can freeze the feed for a day or two to kill 'em, but I don't have the facilities for it. Some of my ASF now have bare spots on their backs or tummies from (I believe) scratching. I'd very much like to NOT change back to the Mazuri blocks.

I've even gone so far as to change the bedding even more frequently, and have sprayed the P.A.M in the lidded feed container to try and stop the problem, w/o success.

Any suggestions??? Is freezing the only method to get rid of them???

FWIW: RE: Pine....I'm using pine for the ASFs, but found with our fancies, that pine bedding, or even the pine pellets, caused respiratory problems, and they don't do as well. The ASFs, it doesn't seem to matter that much.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You could always try freezing in smaller quantities...? Fill a container (that can fit in your current freezer) with the feed, freeze it for a few days, give to rats, repeat...

I used the hog feed for a while but gave up on it and went back to Mazuri. I had SERIOUS mite problems that came with the hog feeds. The mites would be CAKED on anything within a 15ft radius of the food supply. I tried everything. Oven cooking 10lbs at a time on super high heat for hours; freezing; using water trays to inhibit the mites from spreading. Nothing was a permanent fix so I just went back to expensive old Mazuri.

Goodluck and let us know how your mite adventure goes!

Thanks

This is what I was using from a local feed and supply store. It was about $14.

Now it just sits inside the sink cabinet. I dont breed ASFs anymore. I use it to keep feeders alive from pet shops when the snakes dont feel like eating.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

Never have had a problem with the mites... maybe get your feed from a different store?

For feed storage, I open and use one bag at a time.

I dump the entire contents of the bag into a big storage tub that I keep covered at all times. I don't open a new bag until the storage tub is completely empty, sprayed clean with water, and dried.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

also wanted to add that scratches and bare spots on the back are common on females and are caused by an aggressive breeding male... (aka stud!)
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Thx to all 4 the info....I'm only opening / using one bag @ a time, but with only 5 tanks of rats, I'm probably not using it "fast enough" and that's why the dust mites. I'm also storing it in a sealed (but not airtight??) container, and since all the rats are in the house, that might be a contributing factor.

One tank had 3 litters of a total of about 30 babies (now hoppers), but the other tank has brained all of the 3 litters (born separately) that they've had. I've managed to get only 3 pinks, but euthanized them, rather than have them brained. I think with these, I'll just feed off the adults, and keep some of the other's hoppers as breeders.

I thought maybe having 2 tanks of 1.3 would be enough, but I'm STILL feeding off ASFs faster than they're breeding and growing. *sigh* Guess it's time to start another one or two breeding tanks.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast