Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,958

2 members and 1,956 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: ASF Tell ALLS... Finally decided to reveal to my BP.net brothers and sisters....

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    Mike, that's fantastic news--thank you for that information, I had no idea copper levels in rodent block were so high. Looks like I'll be switching to hog feed as well, in that case--the composition is pretty similar, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper.
    Your welcome.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: ASF Tell ALLS... Finally decided to reveal to my BP.net brothers and sisters....

I tried a local feed store and the only thing they had for hog (swine) was Nutrena PorkTrack. It didn't look too far off from the other listed. But what do you guys think?

Country Acres Hog Feed
    Protein 16.00% min.
    Lysine .65% min.
    Crude fat 3.00% min.
    Crude fiber 7.00% min.
    Calcium .60% min.
    Calcium 1.10% max
    Phos .70% min
    Salt .25% min.
    Salt .75% max
    Selenium .300PPM min.
    Zinc 100.000PPM min.

Nutrena PorkTrack Whole Herd
    Protein 16.00% min.
    Lysine .82% min.
    Crude fat 3.00% min.
    Crude fiber 9.00% min.
    Calcium 0.8% min.
    Calcium 1.3% max
    Phos .55% min
    Salt .15% min.
    Salt .65% max
    Selenium .3 PPM min.
    Zinc 98 PPM min.

Do you see anything that is either too high or low? If it doesn't look bad I'll get it. It is 9.49 for a 50lb bag.
    Thanks!
    REPTILES: Ball Pythons, Bearded Dragons, Blue Tongue Skink, Corn Snakes, Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Mali Uromastyxs, Sulcata Tortoise, Tokay Geckos, Veiled Chameleons.
    FISH: African Cichlids, Rhino Pleco, Silver Dollars, Tiger Oscars
    MAMMALS: Miniture Pinschers, Cat, ASF's, boyfriend, me

Thanks

Whats the ingredients looking like?

Thanks

Grain Products, Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By Products, Animal Protein Products, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadiance Dimethylpyrimidinal Bisulfite, Thiai0mine, Biotin, Folic Acid, L-Lysine, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Manganous Oxide Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium lodate, Glycerin.

Dang that was hard to type, not only tiny lettering but I don't know what half that stuff is. lol
    REPTILES: Ball Pythons, Bearded Dragons, Blue Tongue Skink, Corn Snakes, Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Mali Uromastyxs, Sulcata Tortoise, Tokay Geckos, Veiled Chameleons.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWolf View Post
    Dang that was hard to type, not only tiny lettering but I don't know what half that stuff is. lol
    LOL!

I have no idea what the ingredients mean. I lucked out with the stuff I found I guess.... But I am sure connie (the little scientist she is) will chime in with your answer...
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I ask just to see, looks normal. When I was dealing with Nutrena customer service, they didn't mention a 16% grower, but did say that the 18% was medicated, which should always be avoided. I am surprised he never mentioned what you posted, they we're pretty loath to hand out guaranteed analysis PDF's.

If the 'pork track' is more of a general program than a specific formula, it sounds like that one would work, since it does follow closely to Mike's feed.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. And didn't mind typing the ingredients, just made me think I might need glasses. lol

I tried taking a picture of the label but it wouldn't come out very well. So the lady at the feed store let me take the label from a punctured bag.

The label says: This product is designed to be fed to all classes of swine. And under feeding instructions is says: Provide full feed to growing, finishing, and lactating swine. Hand feed 5 to 8lbs per head per day to gestating sows.

So I guess I'll just go back tomorrow and get a bag.

Thanks again!

Thanks

Re: High Copper

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    The hog feed Mike feeds is ONLY available in the south eastern U.S.
    Most hog feeds do contain high supplemental copper, but there are formulas out there that don't.

I would not feed rats something that can be fed to any ruminants like cattle, they require HIGH fiber and roughage being herbivores, that is not something a pig or rat would thrive on.
    I'd have to disagree. I'm in Oregon and I found out that "Country Acres" is indeed a Purina product. It's just that the 16% hog feed has been renamed Sow and Pig Grower ( at least in THIS distribution area.) They no longer medicate as many kinds/types of hog feed whereas (when I was in FFA 20+ years ago) everything for hogs was medicated. But be sure to ask your feed store, JIC.

As of today, a 50# is 9.99, vs. the 17.99 (or so) for 25# of Mazuri. Did I see somewhere that the 50# CAN'T be fed to the fancies???? It would sure help the budget if the pets raising food, AND the ASFs can eat the hog feed!!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

Is this the Bedding you were using Mike?

http://www.suncoastbedding.com/content.aspx?id=204

Just making sure I'll find the right one when I go buy it.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

I was wondering if this feed would be ok since I couldn't find the country acres at our local TSC. All they seem to have is Producers pride. Sorry this is all the info they have on the details of it.

Appearance: Pellet
    Ingredients: Protein 15.0%, Fat 3.0%, Fiber 5.0%
    Applications: Used for Growing, Breeding and Maintaining Pigs

Here is the link for the TSC maybe a different one on their list is better?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-feed/

Thanks Guys for the help!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast