Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,958

0 members and 2,958 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: ASF Tell ALLS... Finally decided to reveal to my BP.net brothers and sisters....

Hog starter is higher protien, it just comes in a crumble instead of kibble.

Thanks

Re: ASF Tell ALLS... Finally decided to reveal to my BP.net brothers and sisters....

Most hog feed I have seen at TSC is right around 20%. Not horrible, but not recommended for males and non-nursing females that need lower protein. Too much protein causes an allergic reaction (scabs, itching) and can lead to kidney and liver disease.

Thanks

Just incase anyone needs to know, in my area the distributors dont have "country acres hog feed" but instead they do have "country acres all stock 16" which they recomend to people in our area for feeding swine. its also 16% protein.

...and to anyone in md, i found it at "Quality Lab Products, Inc" in Elkridge, md for $11 per 50lb bag.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks Mike. This post is a real keeper. I knew there must be a better way. I ditched the wheels and hoppers a long time ago, and now plan to follow your methods.

Anyone serious about keeping snakes knows that all the work is in the rodents. You have just made my day in a really big way!!!

Thanks

Hey Mike, i noticed that you use pine bedding for your ASFs. Do you find that it adversely affects them in anyway?

It is my understanding that pine and cedar are toxic to regular rats and mice (the same reasons you dont want to use them for snakes).

Or has this all been disproved? i see a lot of people keeping rodents on pine.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbird View Post
    Hey Mike, i noticed that you use pine bedding for your ASFs. Do you find that it adversely affects them in anyway?

It is my understanding that pine and cedar are toxic to regular rats and mice (the same reasons you dont want to use them for snakes).

Or has this all been disproved? i see a lot of people keeping rodents on pine.
    It is kiln dried pine. That makes it OK to use.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

so if kiln dried pine is ok for the feeders is it ok for the snake too? just curious...sorry a little off topic

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobbi View Post
    so if kiln dried pine is ok for the feeders is it ok for the snake too? just curious...sorry a little off topic

No, it still is in no way safe for the snakes. Snakes have a much more delicate respiratory system then rodents.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

thats what i though, i was just curious

Thanks

I argue against pine and soft woods being 100% safe to use. While kiln drying is effective in removing most of the tars, phenols and oils, the quality varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so choose a good brand.

I know most people get a head ache when I drop in pine convo's, but I think it's important to let people know that there is still residue left, and it varies from one brand to the next.

I recommend shopping for a bedding that doesn't have strong odor, isn't very dusty, and is light and fluffy. Apply that to both pine or aspen shavings.

It can be argued that no degree of kiln drying is effective in removing ALL of the harmful chemicals, but a good quality pine is better than a bag of raw wet thick shavings, in my opinion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

hoax (08-25-2010)

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast