Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,492

2 members and 1,490 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Pets in Peril!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Say no to HR 669

i think they got their bills crossed somewhere here.
    most of this bill should be part of the immigration bill

Thanks

Can anyone point me to a version of the Flyer that isn't a PDF. I do have adobe but it doesn't want to open it.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

Here you go...click on full text link...

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-669
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

I just wanted to take a moment to thanks Brian and Adam for their hard work. Thanks Guys, you are the best. I also wanted to stick in here a little blurb that I wrote today while doing some research.

I know nothing else needs to be said about the importance of us rallying together as a community to fight this latest bit of proposed legislation. However, while reading over some of the documents available at PIJAC’s website (including the actual proposed bill), I noticed some very coincidental verbiage. If you have any doubt as to the desire of these individuals and/or organizations to get legislation like this passed, or to the desire for them to make it more and more difficult as time goes on for us to beat down these absurd potential regulations, then see the two excerpts that I have included below.

If after reading the excerpts below, you don’t think that they will use our experience and our knowledge of our industry to try and stop what we love, you are sorely mistaken. The drafters of this bill, did there research, and have made the best attempt possible at covering all of the holes that Marshal shot in their last attempt. They are getting smarter. It will get harder and harder for us to win, but by shear perseverance, we will win. We need to continue to fight, and to support those that fight for us.

Just my .02,

Excerpt #1 taken from the testimony of Marshal Meyers (PIJAC) before the Subcommittee on Fisheries, Wildlife and Oceans House Natural Resources Committee on June 26, 2008. This was a response to H.R. 6311
    “Definitions (Section 11)
    Failure to provide a clear definition of “wildlife” further adds confusion to HR 6311. As
    crafted, “nonnative wildlife species” includes “any species that is not a native species.”
    The definition goes on to specifically cover the entire animal kingdom including insects,
    mollusks, crustaceans, arthropods, coelenterates, and all other invertebrates.
    By this definition, many species of animals that are longstanding staples of the pet
    industry, food aquaculture, sports fishing, and livestock would have to go through the
    process to ascertain if they pose the “likelihood” of harming the environment or other
    factors set forth in HR 6311. These would include cattle, cats, dogs and numerous
    animals considered “domesticated.” A clear definition of “wildlife” is essential.”

Excerpt #2 taken from the 111th Congress, 1st Session proposed H.R. 669 Document
    SEC. 14. DEFINITIONS.
    (5) NONNATIVE WILDLIFE SPECIES.—The term
    ‘‘nonnative wildlife species’’—
    (A) except as provided in subparagraph
    (C), means any live species or subspecies of
    animal that is not a native species or subspecies,
    whether or not born or raised in captivity;
    (B) except as provided in subparagraph
    (C), includes—
    (i) any such live, wild species or sub
    species of mammal, bird, fish, reptile, amphibian,
    insect, mollusk, crustacean, arthropod,
    coelenterate, or other invertebrate, and
    (ii) any viable egg, sperm, gamete, or
    other reproductive material or offspring
    thereof;
    (C) does not include any species that is—
    (i) specifically defined or regulated as
    a plant pest or approved for biological control
    purposes under the Plant Protection
    Act (7 U.S.C. 7701 et seq.); or
    (ii) defined or regulated as a threat to
    livestock or poultry under the Animal
    Health Protection Act (7 U.S.C. 8301 et
    seq.); and
    (D) does not include any cat (Felis catus),
    cattle or oxen (Bos taurus), chicken (Gallus
    gallus domesticus), dog (Canis lupus familiaris),
    donkey or ass (Equus asinus), domesticated
    members of the family Anatidae (geese), duck
    (domesticated Anas spp.), goat (Capra aegagrus
    hircus), goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus),
    horse (Equus caballus), llama (Lama glama),
    mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus), pig
    or hog (Sus scrofa domestica), domesticated
    varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus), or
    sheep (Ovis aries), or any other species or variety
    of species that is determined by the Secretary
    to be common and clearly domesticated.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

I just sent off my stack of letters to all 22 committee members. If you have not done the same then GET UP AND DO IT RIGHT NOW! If you are on the mailing list you know what I'm talking about. If not then go here. We have until the 23rd, that is NEXT THURSDAY. So basically if you don't get your stuff in the mail by the end of this week then that is one less voice for the cause.

Thanks

I got off work an hour early today and ran around to some vets and a few reptile specialty shops here. Let me say that I'm almost disgusted by some of the reactions I got. The owner of one reptile shop said "Ehhhh It will never pass" and threw my handouts onto the floor. When I tried to get it across that this bill was serious he went on to tell me how pot is illegal and people can still get that. Are you serious? You would think owning a store that would be illegal to operate if this bill was passed you would actually give a damn. I hope others are having better luck spreading the word than I have. Friends and family have been great but people that should actually care seemed unphased.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    Is the email link blending into the background for anyone else? If I didn't know it should be there I would have missed it.

Christie - it was for me - Adam said it was because I was on IE. But he's tweaked it, and if you clear your cache - it should stay up for you. It worked for me.
    Last edited by rabernet; 04-13-2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: errr...it's Christie, not Emily.....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I got off work an hour early today and ran around to some vets and a few reptile specialty shops here. Let me say that I'm almost disgusted by some of the reactions I got. The owner of one reptile shop said "Ehhhh It will never pass" and threw my handouts onto the floor. When I tried to get it across that this bill was serious he went on to tell me how pot is illegal and people can still get that. Are you serious? You would think owning a store that would be illegal to operate if this bill was passed you would actually give a damn. I hope others are having better luck spreading the word than I have. Friends and family have been great but people that should actually care seemed unphased.
    That's unfortunate!

I've had a very good response from my pet stores - but most especially, those that cater to salt water fish. Don't give up the fight!

Thanks

Hey Robin,

I'm certainly not giving up, the vets have expressed lots of concern so far and I'm hoping the other places I haven't had a chance to go to will be more responsive when I try again tomorrow. At least my conscience is clear and I have done what I can to fight this and will continue to do so until we beat it.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    i got the we dont care about animals. well aslong as cats and dogs are not on the list then it will not matter to us. that was the general manager for pet supplies plus.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast