Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,136

3 members and 3,133 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Pets in Peril!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Say no to HR 669

Quote Originally Posted by yotaman View Post
    Emails can be deleted and ignored, thousands of letters are much harder to ignore.
    That's a myth that really needs to be cleared up.

Emails to, along with phone calls and in person meetings with your Representative in Congress are by far one of the most effective ways of having your voice heard in the US government process. Your Congressman/woman is in Washington D.C. to serve your interests. They will listen.

Letter writing is also very effective, but make no mistake, letters can be thrown into a shredder just as easy as an email can be deleted.

The confusion and mis-communication over this issue stems from WHO you are trying to contact. Unless one of those subcommittee members is your direct Representative in Congress, there's very little chance that they will listen to anything you have to say whether it be email, fax, letter, or phone call. They are their to represent THEIR constituents, not you. On the other hand, your Representative in Congress is there to work for you and your interests ... including your views on HR 669 ... you have the right to ask him or her to go speak to those committee members on your behalf in person. They have a responsibility to listen to you and take your concerns into consideration in their day to day responsibilities. That's how the democratic system works in this country.

The letter writing campaign to the subcommittee members is an EXCELLENT idea and highly recommended by members of the House of Representatives that are friendly to our efforts ... but, without the support of USARK's lobbyist hand delivering the letters, most of them would never even make it to their final destination. The effect of Tom Wolfe carrying stacks of letters around the halls of Congress will without a doubt help us on the day he drops them off, but every person that will be affected by this bill emailing and calling their direct Representative in Congress each and every day from now until the 24th will help us EVERY DAY.

I'm not saying do one and not the other, I'm not saying do one first and then the other, I'm not saying one idea is better than the other ... I'm saying DO THEM BOTH, and ENCOURAGE everyone you know to do BOTH as well.

This link might provide an interesting read for you ... http://nohr669.com/blog/?p=25

Thank you for all of your efforts.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Adam,

I agree completely with you. People should do everything they can and not just one thing. I'm just trying to do everything I can to stop this. I'm calling, sending emails, letters, you name it. Whatever I can do I will do.

I'm also trying to get other people to do the same.

I have other hobbies that are in jeopardy because the people that participate in those hobbies just sit around and do nothing to protect them.

I do not want the right to keep and breed reptiles to be gone because people just sit around and think there rights are protected just because. So I'm just trying to speak out as much as I can about this.

Plus, I kind of showed up late in the game. I don't hang around on the boards much.

Hognose, Sand Boa & Ball Python Morphs

Greg Bennett | http://www.hognose.com

Thanks

Is the email link blending into the background for anyone else? If I didn't know it should be there I would have missed it.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

I'm cold calling all the vets in my area, and later today will fax the fliers out to them. So far, half a page has agreed to receive the fax.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I have been cold calling pet stores in my area as well. Most seem interested but Aquarium Adventures told me point blank that they are not concerned and this won't affect them
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

I just did a search (it's a contest thing, I have to search something) and got this result!!! yes, it's old, but the same number.

http://www.house.gov/baca/hotissues/video_factsheet.htm

if people get that link, they are going to support this bill, video sex and kids?

Thanks

Here is another e-mail I have just received this morning from my state rep:

Rep. Scott Garrett

Dear Mr. Rybak:

Knowing of your interest in the Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act, H.R. 669, I would like to provide you with an update on this important legislation.

As you know, H.R. 669 was introduced by Congresswoman Madeleine Bordallo (Guam) on January 26, 2009. This legislation would require the Secretary of the Interior to establish a process for assessing the risk of importing nonnative wildlife species into the United States. It sets forth factors that must be considered, including the native range of the species and whether or not the species has caused harm to the economy, the environment, other animal species, or human health in similar ecosystems. H.R. 669 has been referred to the House Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife, where it awaits further review.

Like you, I understand the importance of protecting the unique biodiversity found in nature here in the U.S. While I am not a member of the House Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife, please be assured that your views are important to me, and as legislation concerning the environment comes before the House of Representatives, I will consider it with your thoughts in mind.

Thank you for contacting me. Should you have any further questions or comments about this or any legislative issue, please do not hesitate to contact me in my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 225-4465. Also, please visit my website at www.house.gov/garrett, to sign up for my e-newsletter for the latest updates.

Sincerely,
    Signature
    Scott Garrett
    Member of Congress

Thanks

Where can I find the list of approved species and non approved species

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grimm View Post
    Where can I find the list of approved species and non approved species

Well they haven't released the list of over 10,000 non exempt yet that I know of.

Basically if it ain't a dog, cat, horse, rabbit, duck or goose its on the list.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

The approved species are very basic, of Dog and cat, and a bare handful of domestic farm animals(horse, cow, pig, rabbit, chickens, etc).
    I'm almost at the end of my list of vets in the area.. and encouragingly... while only ONE had heard of this, all but one were concerned and will recieve the fax, or went to the website to look into it.
    This is good! Keep calling! Don't let one fish store get you down! If you tell all the other fish stores, maybe one of them will tell them in a manner that makes THEM concerned too!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast