Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,970

1 members and 2,969 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Are my hides too big?

I've been having trouble trying to get my snake to eat. My hides are
    12"L x 6"W x 3"H. My snake is a few years old, I adopted him. He's roughly four feet long and about 2" in diameter. I've tried rats and mice, live and f/t, but can't get him to take anything. Last time he ate was 2.16.09 by the person I adopted him from. Thanks for any help. I'm starting to get really worried. I actually thought about trying to force feed him tonight not a fun thought...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: Are my hides too big?

Your snake should fit snugly in the hides you provide, with a small opening(rather than the huge openings like in those log hides) just a little larger than the width of the snake.

They prefer snug and cozy hides to wide roomy ones.

Thanks

12x6x3 does sound too big.

I have a 4.5ft bp... full grown. He fits snug in 6Lx3Wx2H inches so like half the size of yours. And the openings are like 1.5x2inches. The key to a happy bp is snug hides with small openings. But also be sure to check your temps and humidity.

It was getting my humidity right that made my bp a better feeder.
    That and waiting till late at night so he's awake, and pre-scenting... he's picky.
    Last edited by truthsdeceit; 04-08-2009 at 02:13 AM.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

I kinda figured they are a little big. Does anyone have any suggestions for hides I could buy? I just got some organizer things and cut a hole into the side. the whole is just big enough for him to fit into, but ya, it seems it's big. Temps are usually pretty good. Warm side is usually around 90, or within 4 degrees. Cool side is usually around 80, within 4 degrees. Humidity is always within 10% of 55 RH. I have him in a 55 gal tank, but it has a couple pieces of wood and 6 plants with big leaves, so its definitely not really open.

I should also add that every time I try to feed him with a live mouse or rat, since thats what he's used to, he always goes up to it, but once the rat or mouse comes close to check it out, the snake snaps its head back like it's scared. Sometimes when I try to take him out of the enclosure, which I've stopped until he eats, he's out, but once I take the plexi off the top, he goes right back into his hide. I don't want a stressed out snake and wish I could have a better relationship with him.

3 out of 4 sides are insulated and have a nice background on the glass. I'm thinking of switching to a tub...

Thanks

A tub may well give the snake the security it needs in order to be a confident hunter. It's certainly worth a try and not an expensive thing to do at all. As far as hides, just hit the local dollar store. Look for plastic bowls that are about as big around as your snake is when he's coiled up. Make sure they are dark in color. Melt or cut a hole either in the "roof" or in the side to allow him entrance. Make sure the hole is just a bit bigger than he is with a full tummy and you're all set.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

You could always check out this online reptile store. I have had a lot of success making their hides, mostly because you can construct them specifically for the size of your snake. Check out this thread here.
    2.2 normals Lucifer, Herbie Hancock, Cruella De Ville and Lillith

*fingers crossed for pastel and spider*

Thanks

Don't try to force feed! If the snake is 4ft it means it is an adult and it could go for a year or more with out eating and only has been 2 months if your records are right. Put more attention in the enclosure tips that the other members mention (changing to a tub is a the best idea) and then your snake will probably start to eat again.

Good Luck!