Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

0 members and 3,197 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

HR 669: What Are the Chances?

Hi,

I noticed there's a lot of HR669 threads all of a sudden.

How unlikely is it, however, that this bill gets passed? How could the United States government, a government of a country that is the "Land of the Free", possibly allow such a law that bans all animals apart from cats and dogs?

I'm not trying to say that we shouldn't oppose the bill at all. I indeed am very worried that it may get passed, however unlikely it is, because I'd hate to see thousands upon thousands of animals die -- which will probably happen if the bill is passed.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Re: HR 669: What Are the Chances?

To be completely honest, the chance is slim to none.

But that doesn't mean we should ignore it either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

While it might seem really unlikely that the US Government would pass a bill into law that would cripple the pet industry, don't forget that the intent of HR669 isn't to hurt pet owners ... it's to save the environment and unless your Representatives are educated about the other side of the coin so to speak, how will they even realize how saving the environment can be a bad thing in this instance.

HR669 is very similar to many "feel good" pieces of legislation that have been fast tracking trough congress lately. Anyone that thinks it's "impossible" for this bill to have an impact on the pet trade might want to talk to people into 100cc and smaller motorcycles for their kids ... this past Tuesday they became illegal to manufacture and sell due to another piece of "feel good" legislation that bans selling anything that contains lead at levels greater than 600 parts per million. The motorcycle community is in complete shock and is now scrambling trying to get exceptions passed. It's not only the motorcycle industry that took a hit over the new lead regulations ... it's book stores that sell childrens books, the toy industry, libraries, consignment stores, and on and on. The intent of the law wasn't to hurt those businesses, but rather to protect children ... the bill slipped trough Congress with little opposition and now the impact could damage the American economy to the tune of over a billion dollars.

Google "Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act" and read for yourself.

Don't sleep on H.R. 669 because it seems crazy ... crazy legislation can absolutely become a law ... information is coming on what exactly you need to do to prevent this bill from going anywhere ... keep an eye out for www.nohr669.com.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Adam_Wysocki For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

771subliminal (04-09-2009),aaronjones (04-08-2009),Alice (04-13-2009),cinderbird (04-13-2009),DSGB (04-09-2009),Kysenia (04-08-2009),Ladydragon (04-10-2009),OhBalls (04-08-2009),rabernet (04-08-2009),RoyalGuardian (04-09-2009),stratus_020202 (04-08-2009),The Beast (04-17-2009)

Thanks

VERY well said, Adam

Thanks

Adam,

I completely agree with your post. However, what is the ratio of people keeping guinea pigs and the like compared to people having motor cycles? I bet a bunch of the Representatives themselves keep any of the pets that will be banned.

I don't think we should ignore the bill at all. Like I said, I am worried about it. However, I doubt it should get to the point of people giving up their hobby already (even though this is probably not happening).

Thanks,
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Adam,

I completely agree with your post. However, what is the ratio of people keeping guinea pigs and the like compared to people having motor cycles?
    the better question is how many of those keepers are even aware their rights are being threatened. Had the motorcycle industry been made aware do you think that bill would have passed? The odds that this will pass if unopposed 100%[/B]

I bet a bunch of the Representatives themselves keep any of the pets that will be banned.
    True how many of them are willing to just get a dog and not worry about fighting it for their one pet.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    what is the ratio of people keeping guinea pigs and the like compared to people having motor cycles? I bet a bunch of the Representatives themselves keep any of the pets that will be banned.
    Many of the Representatives that will be voting on the bill do not even realize the full impact of what will happen if it is passed ... mine certainly didn't when I spoke with him. Many do not even know that their pets could potentially be banned. That is exactly what happened in the case of motorcycles ... there are certainly Congressmen and women that have kids, grand kids, nieces, nephews, that ride 100cc and lower dirt bikes ... but the bill they voted on was a child safety bill ... it said nothing about banning motorcycles ... so they voted for it thinking that it would protect children.

They have literally minutes sometimes to make yes or no decisions about legislation that they are voting on and rely heavily on what their aides and fellow Congressmen tell them. The text of H.R. 669 doesn't say that it will ban guinea pigs or any other specific pet, it says that it will protect the United States environment from non-native species ... if no one told you anything else, why wouldn't you vote for it? That's why it's so critically important for each of us to contact our Representative in Congress and tell them what H.R. 669 will really do and that you do not want them to support it.

Don't assume that your Representative in Congress has researched every aspect and every possible outcome of every single piece of legislation that they vote on ... because they haven't ... 100% guaranteed. It's our job as part of a democratic society to make sure that they represent our views on the issues put before them.

Without our voices, all they will hear are the people that want the H.R. 669 to pass and that is where the danger lies ... because those people aren't talking about banning pets, those people are telling them that they're saving the environment.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Adam_Wysocki For This Useful Post:

Alice (04-13-2009),Kysenia (04-08-2009),stormwulf133 (04-08-2009),temec (04-08-2009),Wh00h0069 (04-08-2009)

Thanks

(Not meaning to thread jack) but what if it gets passed, how do they plan on getting rid of the animals that make the "bad" list? Knock on doors and search houses or something?
    Steffen, pronounced with f's, not v's
    1.0 Normal BP, Oakley; 0.1 Normal BP, Hissy Fit; 1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas, RIP 2-1-09; 0.0.1 Pacman Frog, Twoey; 1.0 BCI/BCC Cross, Quetzalcoatl "Q"; 0.0.1 Crestie - Flametail; 0.0.1 Crestie - Nuala; 0.1 Emp Scorpion - Black Arachnia; 0.1 ATB - Cortana; 0.0.1 Savvy - Lohe; 0.1 Colombian RTB, Queen Zida; 1.0 Common Boa; 0.0.1 Beardie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little B-Py View Post
    (Not meaning to thread jack) but what if it gets passed, how do they plan on getting rid of the animals that make the "bad" list? Knock on doors and search houses or something?
    That's one of the huge problems with the H.R. 669 as it's written. Without clear guidelines as to how to deal with issues like this one, the power is placed in the hands of the US Fish & Wildlife service to handle it as they see fit. Appointed officials with the power to have the FBI raid homes over parakeets and leopard geckos if they wanted ... the example is a little extreme of course, but it's still a scary thought.

-adam

Thanks

Many times when I try to send an email through their sites, I get the message that they can't respond to me. Hopefully, the email goes through and there's no filter that keeps an email with my zip from being trashed.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast