Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

3 members and 2,902 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: New to the game

Thanks

New to the game

I am new to the whole ball pythons business. I was looking around my area and found a well known breeder of these beautiful creatures. I am wonder ing though about housing 2 snakes together? Is this recommended? If both are pastels and one is male and female does this add any extra complications? Also what size tank should i use? Finally when can i start breeding them as this is what has started me into the whole python world the huge market for unique snakes?
    Thanks in Advance starnger

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New to the game

I wouldn't house 2 snakes together, neither would a lot of other people. It can be done since its a male & female, but what you're going to run into is they are going to each try to get the same spot, and that will stress them out. Reason I say this is because you want to provide a small hide, 1 on warm & 1 on cool side, so the snake fits snug in it, to feel secure, especially ball pythons, so if you put 2 snakes in there, this will end up stressing your snakes. Also for breeding, they have a well renounced sticky that has alot of information on breeding them.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Kay thanks alot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Slow down there cowboy!! First, if you are getting in it for the money, stop now. This is a very fun hobby but very few make money at it. Even if you breed and sell you will probally still be in the hole if you do it right. Second, from the questions you asked it is obvious you have done little research. Enjoy your pets, sit and read every care sheet you can find, especially the one on this site. Then ask the questions on here you can't find answers to. Have fun and good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FatBoy For This Useful Post:

stratus_020202 (04-07-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Slow down there cowboy!! First, if you are getting in it for the money, stop now. This is a very fun hobby but very few make money at it. Even if you breed and sell you will probally still be in the hole if you do it right. Second, from the questions you asked it is obvious you have done little research. Enjoy your pets, sit and read every care sheet you can find, especially the one on this site. Then ask the questions on here you can't find answers to. Have fun and good luck.
    LOL, I wasn't getting into that with him. Figure I would let somebody else talk to him about that subject.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

If you have a "well known breeder" in your area, If it is possible I would suggest deffinately trying to spend some time there and thoroughly educate yourself about the subject. I'm not sure what your experience level is as far as reptiles but have your knowlegde in place beforehand. This site has a ton of awesome info absorb it like a sponge.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks

Yup, like Neal said...do not house 2 snakes together. It is very stressful for them.

As far as tank size, there are varying opinions on this, but I'd say a 30 gal, one for each snake if you get 2. Definitely make sure you read up on the proper care and maintenance so you know everything you have to do to keep them healthy and happy (we have an excellent care sheet here http://ball-pythons.net/modules/Sect...warticle&id=59).

As far as breeding, females have to be pretty large (around 1200 grams) before they are considered breeding size. As far as I know, most breeders wait til the snake is around 2 to 3 years old before they try breeding it...although I guess males can be ready a little earlier than that. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

But, like another poster said, if you're only getting into it for the money then maybe you should reconsider. You have to really care about your snakes and be willing to put the time and effort (and money) in to do it right
    ~ Erin ~

somewhat damaged

0.1 normal ball "Karma"
    1.0 albino ball "Reznor"
    1.0 brazilian rainbow boa "Helix"
    1.1 corns - bloodred "Jambi", creamsicle okeetee "Aurora"
    1.0 striped california king "Nix"
    0.1 yellow tiger crested gecko "Ember"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blushingball419 For This Useful Post:

stratus_020202 (04-07-2009)

Thanks

thanks guys for the input. The main reason for me breeding them is to have the pleasure of knowing how it feels to have your own snakes that you have not bought. This would come in the next year or 2. Otherwise it is just cause snakes have always fascinated me and have always wanted a couple of snakes.