Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,490

2 members and 3,488 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New to the site: any idea if this pattern is unique?

Hi! I am new to the forums so sorry if I do something wrong. I have owned a few snakes before and just recently got a new ball python. I've had him for a little over a week, so he's ate once and I took him out of his terrarium for the first time today. He is about 4 years old and 3 feet long. I was told by the person I got him from that his pattern was "unique," but not exactly sure what she meant by that. Anything special about his pattern?

He is in a 55 gallon tank, but I'm hoping soon to make him a new terrarium- one that isn't so tall, but has a lot more ground space (probably around the size of a 30 gallon breeder tank. I plan on spending a lot of time on here trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing exactly (I've never built anything before )!

Still trying to think of names. . .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: New to the site: any idea if this pattern is unique?

, looks like a nice normal
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Well every pattern on a BP is unique to that BP. Like how every person looks different.

That normal in particular has a nice reduced pattern though!

I hope when you make some changes you will invest in some new hides Those half logs are pretty much useless and don't provide the BP with any security. I would try and find some tight fitting rock cave like hides.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

He looks to have some really nice banding though - I'd definately like to see some more pictures of him once he has all settled in for you.

When looking to identify some of the morphs people find it easier with nice clear photo's of the head and eyes, the belly and nice clear full pattern shots.

And to the site.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

BP pattern is moreless like a finger print. No 2 snakes have the exact same pattern. Like Kaorte said though, it does have a more reduced pattern to him.

Are you sure its a male? The person sounds like they had no clue what they were talking about, as far as the tank size, you want something no smaller then half the length of the snakes body. Also check out the Hides, my way thread, as that shows you hides you can make for cheap.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

I'm pretty sure he is a male

He has the short, wider head versus the elongated-ish head and has a VERY short tail. Also he has quite large spurs. I am planning on taking him to a local herp store (luckily I have two right down the street from me- one being the one that the girl actually got the ball python from) and having them check the sex. I'm scared to try.

Here is a picture of the whole tank.

He is only 3 feet (and already four years old) so I'm not thinking he is going to get too much longer- but I could be wrong. I'm thinking about a 36"L x 18" W x 12"H. I just don't like how tall the 50 gallon is. I am a short girl, therefore having me reach in that tank is suicide each time, hahah. Do you think 12" is too short of a tank for a ball python? I really want to make it a comfortable, safe environment for him. They also only have him with a red light. I plan on getting another light soon and having a white light as well. I just don't want to change too much at once.

Also, one other question: my previous ball python I always fed in a separate enclosure. It also had a hide in it and was still comfortable for the snake to sit in for a couple hours. I did this because I'm scared to death of getting striked at every time I stick my hand in the cage. . . Well the previous owners fed this snake in his enclosure, so when I open it he gets in a 45 degree angle looking like he wants to eat my hand. Do you think it would be bad if after time I switch him over to eating in a separate enclosure . . . so that he doesn't think every time I stick my hand in there he is getting fed??

The people who previously had him, had him for almost all four years of his life (give or take a couple weeks) and told me that since they got their dog they haven't been able to handle him as much. So, he hasn't been handled a lot for a good few months.

Thanks

Nice! I would however recommend going to the store without the snake first. Check the conditions very carefully for signs of neglect or improper sanitation. It is to easy to get mites or parasites from a store that doesn't take proper care of their animals or the conditions they are living in. If all is well then you are very lucky to have such a nearby resource to go too. Good luck
    1.0 Spider Ball Python (Roscoe)
    1.0 Cali-King (Prince Albert )

Thanks

Ty

Thank you for the advice. One of the herp stores I'm not so crazy about- they seem to be all about the money and not so much about the pets. They have pictures on their site of THOUSANDS of snakes crammed into two boxes being transported from Africa to their store. All wild-caught according to them. I have had nothing but bad experiences with the animals I've gotten from here. They do tend to have more of a selection of things though than the other place.

The other store I love. The staff is really helpful and most of their animals come from reputable breeders or they do the breeding themselves. I'll definitely be going there for sure.

Thanks

Yeah, I would avoid the first place and act like they don't exist. I have a pet shop that is on my way home everyday and less than 3 miles from my house. I actually got my Kingsnake from them, not because of anything they did, I just loved his pattern and temperament. But they are rude and gave me a hard time about some stuff they sold me, so I will drive 30 miles one way to another shop just to avoid giving them any business.
    1.0 Spider Ball Python (Roscoe)
    1.0 Cali-King (Prince Albert )

Thanks

Re: I'm pretty sure he is a male

Quote Originally Posted by Lesto View Post
    He has the short, wider head versus the elongated-ish head and has a VERY short tail. Also he has quite large spurs. I am planning on taking him to a local herp store (luckily I have two right down the street from me- one being the one that the girl actually got the ball python from) and having them check the sex. I'm scared to try.

Here is a picture of the whole tank.

He is only 3 feet (and already four years old) so I'm not thinking he is going to get too much longer- but I could be wrong. I'm thinking about a 36"L x 18" W x 12"H. I just don't like how tall the 50 gallon is. I am a short girl, therefore having me reach in that tank is suicide each time, hahah. Do you think 12" is too short of a tank for a ball python? I really want to make it a comfortable, safe environment for him. They also only have him with a red light. I plan on getting another light soon and having a white light as well. I just don't want to change too much at once.

Also, one other question: my previous ball python I always fed in a separate enclosure. It also had a hide in it and was still comfortable for the snake to sit in for a couple hours. I did this because I'm scared to death of getting striked at every time I stick my hand in the cage. . . Well the previous owners fed this snake in his enclosure, so when I open it he gets in a 45 degree angle looking like he wants to eat my hand. Do you think it would be bad if after time I switch him over to eating in a separate enclosure . . . so that he doesn't think every time I stick my hand in there he is getting fed??

The people who previously had him, had him for almost all four years of his life (give or take a couple weeks) and told me that since they got their dog they haven't been able to handle him as much. So, he hasn't been handled a lot for a good few months.
    Get a 20 gallon tank. That will suit him for the rest of his life.
    He won't get more than a foot longer, especially if he's a male.

Spurs and tail length have little to nothing to do with sex of a ball python. A shorter tail would actually lean towards the indication of a female, not a male.

He seems a bit small to me for a 4 year old snake. And slightly skinnier than I would like. Get a couple small rats into him. Handling is not that important, and usually balls are no trouble to handle even if they aren't handled for a long time.

Cage/food association is a myth. The only reason a snake will bite you in his enclosure is if he feels threatened or you have scent on your hand. Feeding inside the enclosure is recommended, and decreases the chances of being bitten by a lot. It looks like you have aspen bedding, which is harmless and a good type. Stay away from sand, cedar, and pine.

Get rid of the log hide. Get two smaller identical hides that the snake can only barely fit into. I don't recommend taking your snake to the petstore ever, because of the possible bugs it could pick up there.

Also, I suggest getting rid of the heat lamp and getting a more suitable UTH with a thermostat for your ball python. Under tank heaters help digestion better and don't suck humidity nearly as badly as heat lamps.

Get some digital thermometers with probes and a digital hydrometer for humidity. Dial thermometers are extremely inaccurate and useless.

Good luck and welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast