Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,379

2 members and 3,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Can you help me out with this? (NOT A FEEDING ISSUE)

My WHS went into shed more than a month ago and he still hasn't shed. I frequently see him rubbing against things but nothing happens. Do you have any ideas/advice to help solve this problem?
    Before you ask, there are many things for him to shed on (including a sharp rock).
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

Re: Can you help me out with this? (NOT A FEEDING ISSUE)

Pardon me.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Is there any sign of it even beginning to seperate? Does it seem to be drying out and constricting the way it does on a BP?

How do his eyes look?

Got any pics?

Just trying to get the info out beofre the people who know what they're talking about arrive.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Did you provide a wet hide for him?

If he indeed go through "blue" and it's been more than 2 weeks of not shedding, you could end up having a significant problem as unshed skin will dry up and shrink upon the snake causing limited movement, lethargy and sometimes even death. While Westerns can appreciate less humid environments than some other colubrids, they do need a certain amount of humidity during their shed cycle so as to provide enough moisture to allow the old skin to slough off without any undue stress on the snake.

If he really is past due for shedding his skin, the best course of action is to put him in a closed container (with breathing holes of course) full of moistened sphagnum moss and leave him there for several days. Remember to keep the container in an area that has a stable temperature relative to what he would have on the cooler side of his tank. You can also put him in a closed container filled with very low temperature lukewarm water that is half the height of his body. But using the water containment method can be a little stressful and probably should only be used as a last resort, it should also be carefully monitored and never left overnight unless the water level does not pose any threat of drowning the snake. The moistened sphagnum moss containment method has worked the best for me for several years.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rextiles For This Useful Post:

Adam_S (04-03-2009)

Thanks

What Rextiles said is great!
    One thing i found that worked for me is just a daily soaking. I soak my hog every other day when i notice them starting to shed, only because my furnace keeps the enclosures very dry.
    So far it works well, i need to soak slightly longer for my Ball Pythons but it works well for me.
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis