Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,317

1 members and 3,316 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Rant: Free Websites

If you are trying to sell a product please go ahead and buy a domain and hosting, most hosting comes with a free site builder!!!!!!! Most people will not buy from a free website (freewebs or any of them) because they look shady. Go ahead and invest a few bucks in the website! Treat your hobby like a business!!!!! You can get hosting for $5/month and a domain for less than $10 a year. You can buy templates for under $100 or use a free site builder or even do a trade for a site!!!!

I am one of those who will not even think about buying from a website that is a free site. They look cheap, and it makes me think about how cheap of product I am buying.

Sorry had to get that off my chest, I hope I put this in the right location.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clear For This Useful Post:

PythonAddiction (05-09-2009),Wh00h0069 (03-30-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: Rant: Free Websites

Quote Originally Posted by Clear View Post
    If you are trying to sell a product please go ahead and buy a domain and hosting, most hosting comes with a free site builder!!!!!!! Most people will not buy from a free website (freewebs or any of them) because they look shady. Go ahead and invest a few bucks in the website! Treat your hobby like a business!!!!! You can get hosting for $5/month and a domain for less than $10 a year. You can buy templates for under $100 or use a free site builder or even do a trade for a site!!!!

I am one of those who will not even think about buying from a website that is a free site. They look cheap, and it makes me think about how cheap of product I am buying.

Sorry had to get that off my chest, I hope I put this in the right location.
    Yeah, damn the little guy just getting started and on a budget. He doesn't deserve your hard earned money if he can't even look like a bigtime breeder.

Yeah, you show em boyo, you just go right out and support the guys who have enough money that they don't have to worry about spending a hundred bucks on a template when they aren't sure what they're getting.

Yeah, you let those folks who may not be computer savvy that they are doing it all wrong and are losing valuable customers like yourself.

Yeah, you make sure to .....wait, what are you making sure of again?

Dude, have you ever pondered the possibility that someone may have a good reason for doing things differently than you and that not only may they have a good reason but one that, by subsequent success, proves that they too were correct?

Eh, whatever.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Jerhart (03-29-2009),Kristy (03-29-2009),monk90222 (03-29-2009),Patrick Long (03-29-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

You know, the person's ability on the web doesn't concern me nearly as much as their ability to breed quality animals and be honest in representing and selling the animals.
    Why not use a free website? I have bought my hosting and such.. but I still have no site up, because I have not taken time to learn about it, and haven't taken time to sit down with one of my friends that do know.
    I wouldn't count a free website against someone at all. I'm not fooled by a slick website and shiney pictures, when the person selling isn't a quality dealer. To me a website is nothing more than a contact for the person, not the representative of the snakes.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Jerhart (03-29-2009)

Thanks

Those saying that the site doesn't matter are crazy. They also have never owned a business or worked any sort of management position at one.

Image is EXTREMELY important. If your business is to shanty to pay a hundred or so bucks to make a decent website, I'll probably pass on you too.

Look at the ads at the top of the screen and tell me I'm crazy.
    -Paul-

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soterios For This Useful Post:

Clear (03-29-2009),Wh00h0069 (03-30-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
    Those saying that the site doesn't matter are crazy. They also have never owned a business or worked any sort of management position at one.

Image is EXTREMELY important. If your business is to shanty to pay a hundred or so bucks to make a decent website, I'll probably pass on you too.

Look at the ads at the top of the screen and tell me I'm crazy.
    You're crazy.

What else ya got?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

llovelace (03-29-2009)

Thanks

I am going to side with Wes on this one.

I have some animals on a 'freewebsite'....am I a shady character? I don't think so.

I am on the brinks of my final year of Graduate School. Working at 2 internships, take care of my animals, and I am also a newlywed who plans on starting a family soon. Any free time I can find I use to take care of my animals. My animals the their health comes first...not a website.

I also am not very website savvy...did I say I was a graduate student? There goes any funds to pay a stranger to build a site for me. I would rather learn how to myself. But it takes time...time is something I have very little of.

I also don't judge an animal from a breeder on the quality of their website. I will do my research on the breeder before making a purchase.

Like Wes said...not all of us are in a situation to host our own websites...I have a desire to learn how to build my own website one day. I have PM'd a few people from the forum on good places to start.

...don't judge a breeder on the quality their website. Go check the BOI, I bet you can find some nice websites where the breeder has received negative feedback....and vise-versa.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    You're crazy.

What else ya got?
    You slay me!
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

No your not a shady character but cheap websites are just that, cheap. Skip on one cheeseburger from MCD's or BK or where ever and pay for your website. No you dont need to spend $300 for a site. There is site builders that come with hosting packages, you can get hosting dirt cheap!

Like the other user said, Image is everything, you dont need flashy, just professional. Yes you can find crooks who have a nice website, you will find great people with a free site. But the professional site will get more traffic than the free ones, thats a given.
    Last edited by Clear; 03-29-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clear View Post
    No your not a shady character but cheap websites are just that, cheap. Skip on one cheeseburger from MCD's or BK or where ever and pay for your website. No you dont need to spend $300 for a site. There is site builders that come with hosting packages, you can get hosting dirt cheap!
    So basically free is too cheap? But it is okay to go dirt cheap?

...websites are like cars. Some look nicer than others, and some run better than others. No matter how nice it is, I ALWAYS look under the hood. I've seen some nice cars with shady carfaxes.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

$5 is dirt cheap, most of your common web servers charge that amount.

Free sites will put 500+ users on one server. 150 is a huge load on one server.

$5.99/month https://signup.dreamhost.com/
    $4.95/month http://www.hostgator.com/
    $4.95/month http://www.innohosting.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast