Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,098

3 members and 3,095 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

DIY hoppers 4 deep tubs a rack DUW

DIY hoppers for deep tubs in a rack.

These hoppers hook to the lip of the tubs, have a hinged lid that locks automatically when you slide the drawer closed, and are easy to remove for cleaning.
    Instructions to follow.

The hopper:

In tub:

The lid is pinched down by the wood crossbar effectively locking it down.

Instructions:
    for the visual learner... sorry I didn't have any mesh laying around to make one from scratch so I drew visuals.
    These instructions are to make ones exactly like mine for a tub that is 6inches deep and has a 1cm lip to hook on, but they can be modified easily to fit any tub.
    Keep scrolling for close ups and step by step instructions.

Using 1/2inch hardware cloth.

For the back, bottom and lip piece you'll need to cut a 4squares X 17squares piece with extra overhangs which you will later use to attach the pieces together. My drawing shows where you need to leave overhangs and how the piece is bent. (If your tubs lip is bigger than mine cut your piece to be 4x20 or so, you can cut off the excess once you know how much you need.)

The 3 sides are one big piece. 12x10.

Make the bends as shown and attach the two pieces together using the overhang wires. (FYI it's easier to bend the 'lip piece' to fit after you've attached the sides, that way you can make it fit snug to the tub) A pair of needle nose pliers is very helpful to do this, and be careful the wire can be sharp. Here's a pic of the way I bend them over to attach. There will be more pics at the end if you don't get the idea.

For the lid you'll need a piece 8x4 with overhangs at one end for creating the hinges.

Make loops of the overhangs and fit to the front of the hopper. Then make bends in lid where needed to make it fit snugly to top and slide into your rack correctly. It's a little different for each one so I always do the lid bends after attaching it.

And you should be done. Let me know if you have any Q's.

Here's some more pics from diff angles that might help.

~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: DIY hoppers 4 deep tubs a rack DUW

Nice job,
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi