Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,556

0 members and 2,556 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Talking New male Veiled Cham is here!

The pretty fella arrived this morning, freaked out and still with some loose skin from shedding, but otherwise fine.

The cage is giving me some temp and humidity issues, but looks nice at least.

And here's the new little guy! From Chad and Darci at TikiTiki Reptiles - Morpheus!

That was just after getting him out of the bag and just before putting him into the cage. He was VERY eager to enter his cage. He slipped a bit and actually slid down a vine to the floor earlier, but climbed back himself and is sitting on the highest perch currently.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

DutchHerp (03-24-2009)

Thanks

Re: New male Veiled Cham is here!

Yeah he finally arrived! Isn't it cool to open up the container and see a cham inside?
    Chad is a good guy and I am sure you got a really nice Veiled. He looks great in the pic. How old is he?

What kind of issues are you having with the cage? The very top branch underneath the light should be around 95 F and get less from there. He looks big enough to thermo regulate fine on his own. Humidity is always a challenge with all screen cages. The higher humidity will be around and inside the plants while the rest of the cage will be drier. Based on your pictures the plants are still small and spaced out some to keep a large spot humid in the cage. It looks like you have a humidifier next to the cage. Not sure of the design but you could try to hook up a flex hose to it and pipe in some moist air into the cage.

Everyone will have different "thoughts" on what a perfect humidity % is. In reality (wild) Veiled chameleons have a wide range of habitats and humidity. So unless it is way dry try not to stress too much

Congrats again on getting him.

Jim

Thanks

Well you've been waiting long enough for him! Glad he's finally there! Congrats!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

He's about 8 months old.

His basking spot under the light gets to about 87-90 and the rest of the cage won't go above 74. I believe the main culprit is that the cage is located across from the front door. Only place I could put it.
    Yes, that's a humidifier and it's a mist or vapor model I was given for the cham by my neighbors.

I figured out that I could move the cage to the 'office' which is much more stable temp wise and quieter with less constant movement. However, I have two questions about that:
    1 - WHEN could I move it?? Should I wait a few days to a week to let him settle down before moving? Or should I do it in the next day or two to "get it over with"? I have a holding cage for him, so a place to go while the cage is moved isn't a problem. I just don't want to stress him out any more than he already is from the shipping.

2 - The office is where the computers are. I would hang a thick curtain in front of the cage to block the light at night (since my BF is a night owl with the computer), but would having him in here cause any other problems? The cage would be on the opposite side of the room from said computers.

Any suggestions or comments on this are much appreciated.

Thanks

In my opinion I would move him right away to the lower traffic area. The move would be less stressful than keeping him where he is at.

All my cages used to be in the living room. Although I was never up all hours of the night, I used to cover their cages once their lights went out because I was still up etc. They adjusted fine and never seemed to have a problem.

The fact that they will be in the same room as computers shouldn't be a problem.

If you are having challenges with the hot spot just raise the wattage of the bulb you are using. You can always adjust any branches to get the right temp you are looking for.
    Not sure if it was mentioned in earlier posts but they need a good 10-15 degree drop in temp at night.

Hope this helps . . .

Jim

Thanks

Good to know that covering the cage should do the trick. I'm preparing now (i.e. rearranging furniture and such) for the move, which should take place once my BF and neighbor are both home from work this evening. I need them to move the cage since it's a) huge, and b) the ficus will still be in there since it's kind of wedged in.

I started with a 60w bulb for the basking spot but it didn't even reach 82. Up to a 75w - didn't pass 85. So, I broke down and used the spare 100w and even with that it has trouble reaching 90. I think once it's away from the door things should improve...though there will be a window right in front of the cage in this room. But windows can be covered and remain closed, doors can't.

And he does get a drop at night. The lights are all that keep temps in there, and they're on a 12/12 timer. The apartment sits at about 69-70 at night.
    Thanks for the advice. I always appreciate the help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    The pretty fella arrived this morning, freaked out and still with some loose skin from shedding, but otherwise fine.

The cage is giving me some temp and humidity issues, but looks nice at least.
    I had the same problem with humidity, no matter how much I misted before I left for work, by the time I got home his humidity was always too low. I ordered the MistKing and it took care of that problem, it mists 8 times while I'm gone. Here's a quick video of mine:

YouTube - My Chameleon Enclosure
    1.0.0 Normal Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    0.0.1 Normal Pacman Frog
    1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon
    0.0.3 Hermit Crabs
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat
    0.1.0 Basset Hound Puppy

Thanks

nice looking chameleon

Thanks