Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,112

2 members and 3,110 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Python ownder from the Philippines considering Hogs...

Hi guys,

I currently have 2 retics, 1 afrock, 1 ball and a leopard gecko. I'm still doing my research on Western Hogs, and while I'm at it, would like to ask a few questions.

1) I live in "retic country" (aka, retics are native in my country). Will I have any temp/humidity problems caring for a hognose, either imported (don't worry, not WC; some herpers here are generous to take our orders and then they order thru a reputable breeder such as BHB/Bobclark) or CB here?

2) Are captive W. hognoses known to have "quirks"? When I'm in quirks, let's take the retic for example. Most retic owners know that they are notorious for cage pushing. Do Western Hognoses have similar/other quirks?

3) Based on what I've read, nobody's been tagged by a Western hognose snake (except during feeding...but the link I once saw sorta FORCED the hog to tag him). I take it that I don't have to be say...as "defensive" when approaching my hog than say...when I'm approaching my afrock?

Thanks for the help in advanced. Go easy on me. We've never seen hognoses here coz until very recently, the Philippine herping community has always been "Burmese python territory"

Thanks

Re: Python ownder from the Philippines considering Hogs...

Quote Originally Posted by retic720 View Post
    Hi guys,

I currently have 2 retics, 1 afrock, 1 ball and a leopard gecko. I'm still doing my research on Western Hogs, and while I'm at it, would like to ask a few questions.

1) I live in "retic country" (aka, retics are native in my country). Will I have any temp/humidity problems caring for a hognose, either imported (don't worry, not WC; some herpers here are generous to take our orders and then they order thru a reputable breeder such as BHB/Bobclark) or CB here?

2) Are captive W. hognoses known to have "quirks"? When I'm in quirks, let's take the retic for example. Most retic owners know that they are notorious for cage pushing. Do Western Hognoses have similar/other quirks?

3) Based on what I've read, nobody's been tagged by a Western hognose snake (except during feeding...but the link I once saw sorta FORCED the hog to tag him). I take it that I don't have to be say...as "defensive" when approaching my hog than say...when I'm approaching my afrock?

Thanks for the help in advanced. Go easy on me. We've never seen hognoses here coz until very recently, the Philippine herping community has always been "Burmese python territory"
    I don't know anything about their availability in your area, but I can answer questions 2 and 3:

2) They can be very active at times, sometimes crawling straight up (like many snakes do). But the biggest Hogger (which would be about a pound,
    30"+ female) would not be strong enough to lift off the average cage-top. Make sure the bottom of the tank is also sealed off in every way, since Hoggers like to dig alot and could escape through holes in the bottom.

3) It is "less than lightning-striking impossible" to get bitten by a Hognose snake. The only time anyone got bitten by one was during a feeding session. During feeding, hold the prey with a long object (that's longer than the snake) when you feed the snake. That way, you won't get bitten by accident. Besides with that, you don't need to proceed with any caution towards your Hognose snake. Although Hoggers don't bite, they do have a terrific bluffing act that startles most people, but it's completely harmless (unless the person jumps so high that he/she hits his/her head on a stalacite, which would be harmful)
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

You don't necessarily have to be feeding to get bit. One of my Hogs will try to eat anything that moves, and goes for my hand even when there are no food items in the building. One of my other Hogs did that for a year or so too, but grew out of it.

Thanks

Thanks guys

Maybe I didn't phrase my first question correctly.

Basically, I live in a country where retics are native to. Meaning to say, our temp/humidity is perfect for retics. Will this pose any problems in maintaining a hognose?

Thanks

Thanks

This kind of depends on where you’re planning to keep the terrarium. If it will be inside of an air conditioned home, then the indoors of retic country will probably look a lot like the indoors here in hognose snake country. If you’re planning to keep the enclosure out in your yard, then you’ll have to make sure that your temps and humidity levels naturally fall within the needs of the species you plan to keep. My guess is that you’ll have to manipulate these variables indoors within a terrarium and artificially through heat/light, substrate, etc., and if that’s done, then a Hognose snake should like the Philippines just fine.

Hognose snakes commonly have no known quirks that I've heard of and bites are generally considered extremely rare, preventable, and harmless to humans.

Thanks

Thanks big time guys

I plan to keep it indoors but I intend to get CB stock. THey were a bit pricey before since they're relatively new to the Phil. market, but since their popularity has rather picked up, they're priced just like the ave. corn here.

Last question: Research tells me that Easterns and some S. American hognoses will have liver problems when kept on a rodent diet for a prolonged period of time. So far, not true for Westerns (at least CB ones), yes?

Thanks again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by retic720 View Post
    Thanks big time guys

I plan to keep it indoors but I intend to get CB stock. THey were a bit pricey before since they're relatively new to the Phil. market, but since their popularity has rather picked up, they're priced just like the ave. corn here.

Last question: Research tells me that Easterns and some S. American hognoses will have liver problems when kept on a rodent diet for a prolonged period of time. So far, not true for Westerns (at least CB ones), yes?

Thanks again
    EDIT: Scrap that question. Did a little more reading and read that generations of Westerns have quite adapted to a rodent-only diet.

I did read in a website (http://www.extremehogs.com/Terms.html) that hogs aren't "corns/burms" when it comes to feeding.

I recall my favorite retic accepting food on her 2nd day at her new home (mine..hehe). Will I expect the same kind of feeding enthusiasm? Or will he/she be like my leopard gecko, who only ate after a week of acclimation/adjusting?

Thanks again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
    You don't necessarily have to be feeding to get bit. One of my Hogs will try to eat anything that moves, and goes for my hand even when there are no food items in the building. One of my other Hogs did that for a year or so too, but grew out of it.
    Now that's an anomaly. But the difference is it wasn't threatened, it just thought that everything was food. My main point was that they don't bite in defense.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.