Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,720

3 members and 2,717 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Blue rat-birthing probs-urgent

First of all, this blue girl is from Connie's colony, and she let us know about a month ago that she lost one of her blue girls during birth. This is our blue's second litter, and she had no problems with the first one.

This morning we noticed a little bit of blood in the tub with our two expectant moms, a beige and blue girl. Both are on their second litters, and both had strong healthy litters the first time around. We didnt think much of the blood this morning since all of girls spotted a little bit about a day before giving birth last time around. Just now we checked on them again, and there is significantly more blood, a still born pink, and the blue girl is very lethargic and still has some blood on her tail and rump. We separated the moms into their own tubs to keep a closer eye on them. The beige girl is still as active as can be and shows no signs of having started giving birth.

We are worried about losing our blue girl, but we don't want to jump the gun on euthanasia if it is just normal tiredness from labor starting, and that she may have some stillborns in her litter. She is much bigger than she was last time (9 pinks), and she still looks huge. We keeping a close eye on her, but wanted to see what you all suggested. How long should we wait before we decide if we need to put her down, assuming she doesn't show more signs of having serious birthing problems?

Edit: Taking/posting pics in just a few. Realized pic's really wont help much in this situation, but I have one of the pink ready if you all deem it necessary.
    Last edited by ThyTempest; 03-22-2009 at 07:55 PM.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: Blue rat-birthing probs-urgent

I hope things work out for you and her, poor thing
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

As it is right now, I would give her peace and privacy and leave her alone.

I had a rescue come into my house that wasn't fit to deliver at all. She spotted for 36 hours, and bled quite a bit. Eventually she did go into full labor and all of the pinks were stillborn. She recovered completely.

There is a chance things can go south for your little girl, but for now..just keep your fingers crossed for her.

Thanks

I agree with Michelle. Let her rest. You could try throwing in a piece of fruit with her. If she eats it the glucose will give her a little boost.
    "I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful." ~Marilyn Monroe

Thanks

I agree as well, give her some peace and privacy.

Recently, I too had one of my new "holdback" female breeders give birth to her third litter. And she was rather lethargic and there was alot of blood (way more than usual.) She ended up pulling through just fine, and had some massive sized pinkies.

Hope This Helps.

Thanks

One of my girls last round of breeding had a miscarrage bled lots and that was it, a second one bleed but ended up with a litter of 15! leave her alone since I found out rats reabsorb babies so no sepsis can occur unlike lots of other animals. Feed her energy foods and make sure she gets rest.
    Too many pets to list!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccabecca View Post
    One of my girls last round of breeding had a miscarrage bled lots and that was it, a second one bleed but ended up with a litter of 15! leave her alone since I found out rats reabsorb babies so no sepsis can occur unlike lots of other animals. Feed her energy foods and make sure she gets rest.
    No, they can easily get septic and die if you allow them to go too long. Their uterus may rupture if the strain is too great and they can easily die from hemorrhaging or sepsis.

Any animal can reabsorb a fetus if conditions aren't correct, and rats are no different. Fetal size/age determines whether or not it can be reabsorbed.

Do not let her go very long. If after about 12 hours, she's still uncomfortable, lethargic, dehydrated, etc, then you need to start her on antibiotics and let the babies either be passed or take her to the vet(or just euthanize her).

This is why I don't like breeding American Blues, even if they come from a good line. There are always risks with them because of the inbreeding. They are just very poor candidates for breeding...
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I sent you an email Austin, please let me know how it went. If she pulls through and recovers, think about retiring her. I always retire females if they have a hard or prolonged birth, I can't justify putting her through it again and possibly losing them because of my actions.

Since those first american blue girls I've had, I don't believe I have had anymore; I still wouldn't be keeping them for breeding after what happened with my girl.

Thanks

Thanks everyone, especially Becky, Connie and Crissy.

I replied to your email Connie, thanks again.

She seems to be pulling through, and will most likely be retired. If she does well in recovery, we may consider breeding her a final time in several months, but I really doubt it. We are just sad to have not produced any other blues to keep the color in our colony Poor girl. Pretty colors < health.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

Heck Austin I've always got tons of blues (some dumbo eared but mostly top eared). I've been really blessed or just lucky maybe, but I don't have a bit of trouble with my blues at all anymore. They act, breed, whatever just like any other color rat. If I can help you with a couple of nice weanling blues let me know.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast