Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,323

1 members and 2,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Hognose questions

How are these guys as pets?

I really like how they look and im thinking about getting one eventually.

What does their cage setup require?

if anyone could give me basic info on how to care for them, or reccomend a good caresheet, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

also: Whats the difference between Eastern and Western as far as size and care goes? Which makes a better pet?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: Hognose questions

I don't have any concrete answers for your other questions, but western hoggies make great pets. I'm hoping to pick up a pair in the near future!

Western are easiest to care for, easterns need to be fed on a diet of amphibs. Easterns supposedly can be kept on rodents, but it drastically shortens their life expectancy.. I've heard mentions of kidney problems or something.

Westerns are pretty tolerant of humidity and temperature, from what I understand do well with a "typical" ground snake setup in 10 gallon glass cages with heating, substrate, hide or two, water dish, and fed on mice.

Hopefully someone with experience raising hoggies will chime in soon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zackw419 View Post
    How are these guys as pets?

I really like how they look and im thinking about getting one eventually.
    Awesome! They have personality. They are diurnal. They can be handled pretty easily. They like normal house temperatures (between 70 and 80). They don't get big. They are super duper cute.

About that personality - people who are not familiar with a hognose might get intimidated at first because they have these crazy defense mechanisms - hissing, standing up with hood spread like a cobra, tail shaking like a rattler, and even fake striking (striking with mouth closed). Really scary stuff until you get used to them and realize they're a bunch of pansies! LOL! Our hognose would hiss when startled, then my son would go ahead and pick him up anyway and he would immediately settle down. Really cool snakes!

My 7-year-old son likes to brag that he owns a venomous snake. Hognoses have venom but they are rear-fanged so it requires a lot of chewing before the rear fangs can be engaged. And since hognoses are VERY reluctant biters (bites only to eat), you almost have to intentionally get bit and chewed on for a while before you can get injected with venom. The venom is not lethal. It can cause a lot of swelling on the affected area similar to a bee sting.

What does their cage setup require?
    20L reptile tank or similar size enclosure. Temperature gradient of 70 cool-side and 80 warm-side provided using UTH or heat lamp with thermostat or rheostat. 2 hides - one on the cool and another in the warm side. Water bowl big enough to soak in. Deep substrate (aspen is recommended - don't use cedar or pine). I don't put them in newspaper or paper towels because they like to burrow.

also: Whats the difference between Eastern and Western as far as size and care goes? Which makes a better pet?
    Westerns are much easier to care for than Easterns because of the dietary requirements. Westerns will take rodents, Easterns thrive on frogs. Other than the diet, they are pretty much the same in temperament and size.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by anatess; 03-23-2009 at 02:14 AM.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

zackw419 (03-25-2009)

Thanks

thank you so much anatess!!!

I will be deciding between one of these guys or a solomon island boa

Thanks

All I have to say is that since I have gotten my little baby hoggie I am HOOKED! They have awesome personalities and don't get too big. The appear to like being handled and tame up really nicely.

They are venomous tho (rear fanged) so if they bite you the bite can cause some swelling and redness. It's similar to a Garter snakes venom...only a little more potent. Tho I haven't heard of any serious reactions to their venom so long as you are healthy (don't have any major health issues) and don't have any other allergies to venom from other animals..like spiders or bees. I just wanted to make you aware of that b/c I don't want to see anyone get hurt needlessly.

Thanks

Bah!!..Now, I want to get a Hognose too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

thank you so much anatess!!!

I will be deciding between one of these guys or a solomon island boa
    SIB are great snakes but I wouldn't advise a baby SIB to a novice. I had to take care of new borns and they tend to be finicky eaters as babies, especially they are tiny. Subadults and adults are much easier to care for.
    They are very docile snakes and don't take up much room.

Hognoses have character and are active. They have that permanent smile.
    As far as bite info check this website out. It is an extreme case...
    http://www.herpnet.net/bite/
    A bite depends on how long they are biting on you and if you are sensitive.
    If you are allergic to bee stings then it may be a problem.

Anatess did a great job describing them and their care.

Both SIBs and hogs are beautiful snakes and both stay small as well.
    So which ever one you decide on you will enjoy them.
    Joseph
    Hyper Reptilia
    "Where our reptiles come first"

Thanks

Go for a hognose man you won't regret it! I've got a couple westerns and a tri and they are all so much fun to keep. Right now they're just babies so I've got them set up in 6qt tubs with paper towels. You just want to make sure to use a low, shallow water dish.

Like Anatess was saying their personalities are out of this world. My male western is just calm as can be unless there's food around but the female just loves to hiss and hood up and head butt til you get her out of her tub. I got them all from Jenea Woods (Floridahogs on bp.net)
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,