Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

3 members and 3,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: No Car Sense!

Thanks

No Car Sense!

Well I almost had a heart attack yesterday when our 2 year old yellow Lab, Bella, got loose and ran into traffic in front of my eyes. The situation was this:

We don't have a fenced yard unfortunately so to give Bella time outside (other than walks) we have a very long tie out cable in the front yard. I take her out, tie her up and sit on our front porch with a coffee and a book while she plays. I used to put her on her lead, take her out and then transfer her to the cable but over the past few months, as she's finally matured, I've been able to simply take her out to the cable holding her by her collar. She's been very good for me about that.

Yesterday, for no apparent reason (no dogs nearby or squirrels or whatever), as soon as I opened the door she yanked hard, almost pulled me over and got loose. She ran right into traffic which was quite busy at the time. I have no idea how she managed to not get run over other than good drivers who braked fast. I had to run and wake up my husband, who works nights, to help me get her back.

Bella is the 3rd Lab I've owned and I was raised with lots of dogs. She's the first one that I've met though that is this plain bullheaded and just stupid about stuff. She was raised in the city so I'm just baffled at how she can have absolutely no car sense at all. She also is VERY resistant to learning to come when called. It's funny because she will do almost anything else you tell her and is quite smart about understanding human language. When it comes to the "come" command though (and to getting her nails trimmed) it's a flat out struggle. In this case it almost got her killed in front of my very eyes.

Is there a training method anyone knows to teach a very thickheaded dog that running into the road will get you killed? I can't teach her to completely avoid the road since we have to cross it when we go for walks.

I had a vet tell me years ago that if you were going to get a "difficult" Labrador it was almost always a yellow one. I think I get that now as my previous Labs, both blacks, were much easier dogs to train.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: No Car Sense!

Awww Jo! I'm glad she's ok. I hope someone has a tip for you about the road... because you haft to cross it... How do you explain that's it's ok with you there, but not without? As for the bolting, I had a friend tell me that she had good success with a lunge line for horses. She knew her Golden would bolt, and let her *while attached to the line*... She would call out "HEAL", and when the dog ignored the command, she lifted the line. Not to the point that it whipped the dog around, or caused injury I'm sure... but kind of long distance training. She said that it eventually worked! Hope someone has some other advice!
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

I was watching a show on tv, where they had a similiar problem and they chose to teach the dog to sit when the dog reached the end of the sidewalk. Maybe that might work for you. They started with walking the dog only a couple feet as they approached the street, and then stopped and had the dog sit.

I don't know if that will work for you or not, but it's the only thing that comes to mind.

Also, I'm sorry for the years that experience must have taken off your life. I'm sure Bella came back with that innocent and goofy look that says ... 'What? ' Just sit down, take a deep breath and then grab a nice margarita.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

I swear if I could afford it I'd do an invisible fence thing, she scared the life out of me this morning.

Yes Christie, when Mike caught her on the next street over she was all prancy and "hiya daddy!" attitude. Didn't even seem to have a clue she'd just been seconds from being under a set of car tires.

We do teach her to sit at crosswalks since when she was a pup she tended to want to pull me into traffic. Unfortunately Bella has the instincts of a runner so I've never in all the time I've had her been able to take her offleash in an unfenced area. My other Labs were easy to teach to heel off leash and to come when called or stop when I hollder stop. Not Bella though, she's a dunderhead and very "Marley-like".

The crazy thing is this is perhaps the smartest dog when it comes to human language that I've ever owned. She picks up and responds appropriately to conversation that's not even directed at her. Her comprehension of words is immense, her willingness to do what she doesn't want to do....not so much.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mira is being stubborn about the recall lessons, too. When she's motivated (as in "very hungry" while I've got yummy treats)...then it's no problem...she's a rocket at the recall. But pretty much any other time...it's just whenever she feels like it, which isn't often.

I'm awfully glad to hear that Bella survived her little adventure...and that you and Mike did too! I guess you just can't trust her off leash even for the short distance to the tie-out.
    -- Judy

Thanks

I thought she was controllable just with my holding her by her collar, Judy. She's been so good about that for months now but something caused her to just haul away from me and bolt like that. Maybe a bit of spring fever with the weather being so nice and all.

I so wish she'd come when called. By this age I was able to have my other Labradors off lead and controllable. I'd love to take Bella swimming for instance but I dare not try, I'm scared I'd never get her back. She'll do anything for treats, like Mira, but it's pretty much impossible to always have a treat on you isn't it.

I just don't know why Bella's so boneheaded. I've never had this much trouble with this breed before (which is why I wanted another Labrador, they are generally so easy to train).
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

ARRRRGH she did it again! This time she decided to go bonkers, flipped herself around and managed to pull out of not only her Halti head collar but her neck collar as well! I guess they both weren't quite tight enough and my 17 year old son didn't react and back off the tension on the leash so Bella got enough twist going to yank herself loose.

We all just got back from racing around the neighbourhood chasing that fool dog. She's fine, we're tired and Mike's lucky if he's not going to be late for work tonight.

Tomorrow I'm buying a new training collar. Bella and I are going to have to work this out.
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

and I hope you have worked it out. sending (((working out))) vibes your way if you haven't already - since this is an old thread.

love you jo (((hugs)))
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Nope Aleesha the dunderheaded dog doesn't have this figured out yet. A tighter collar and halti are keeping her from getting loose but she's still as dumb about traffic as ever.

We're looking at moving soon specifically searching for a house with a very solid fence so Ms. Bella can be safer. Some dogs I guess, even though raised around cars, just never get that running into traffic isn't a very bright idea.

Anyone seen the movie Marley & Me yet? I think I must own Marley's sister LOL.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I have had two labs in the past 15 years, and presently own a Bichon Frische (sp), with a LOT of success in training them not to go into the street. All three of them could be in full, all out squirrel of cat chase mode, and come to a complete stop when they hit a street.

I really do not have a secret, I think it comes with consistent training and strict discipline (not violence). First and foremost you MUST teach your dog to sit and then to heel properly. From a good heel, anything can be taught. Labs love to please and love to learn. In a heel, the dog must sit everytime you stop walking, leashed or not. So when on a walk and you have them in heel mode stop at the curb. Make sure they sit and are still. Command heel again and then proceed across the street. Stop on the other side and make sure they sit and stay. At this point you can "release" them or continue the heel. You MUST do this each and EVERY time you reach a street or ANYTHING that looks like one (curbed drive way, etc.). NONE of this needs to be done with any kind of punishment. I found that a pocket full of treats works the best.

Good luck. I have had no luck with my BP with any training, although she looks pretty cute doing nothing but lieing around!!!

Good luck.
    You want me to share a cage with what?