Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

1 members and 3,108 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Worried about bedding

I know a lot of you use the pine pellet equine stuff that comes from tractor supply. I can find no where on it where it says it is kiln treated much less double kiln treated that I have heard people recommend with pine. I know pine is bad for rodents and BAD for snakes. So, why do so many people use this? It must be safe, because so many people do. BUT WHY? I have heard horror stories of snakes being fed rodents that were kept on pine or ceder and that causing throat and stomach ulcers. Am I missing something? I must be, but what? And why does every post I make, make me sound like a noob? Ok, I am a noob to breeding my own feeders. I think I ask too many strange questions lol.

4.9 Balls, 6.7 Corns, 1.1 Black Milk Snakes, 0.0.1 Sand boa, 0.1 BCI, 2.0 Dogs, 1.0 Child, 0.0.? Fish

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Worried about bedding

I don't know why you didn't get a response to this yet...

Here is a quote from the Woody Pet website. Woody Pet is pretty much the same thing as Equine Fresh. I am pretty sure that I have read the same thing on the Equine Fresh site in the past, but I can't locate it right now.
    http://www.woodypet.com/horse.html

Raw White Soft Wood Shavings and Sawdust undergoes extreme processing which extracts most of the resins, oils, tars, acids and water from the wood fiber. Exiting the milling process the product is completely sterile in granulated form and has become an extreme absorbent. Looks like, but does not taste like Granola. We have eliminated the Dangerous Aromatic Hydrocarbons which cause Hives and Respiratory Irritation (Coughing) for horses.
    Casey

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kc261 For This Useful Post:

littleindiangirl (03-18-2009),stormwulf133 (03-20-2009)

Thanks

And just to add to that, not all pellets are created equal. I often experiement with different pellets, and from like the 10 different brands of equine pellets and wood stove pellets, I keep coming back to equine fresh as the best.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

stormwulf133 (03-20-2009)

Thanks

i've never heard of double kiln drying.the pine shavings i use (marth wood products,marathon,wi.) the mfg. told me is kiln dried to about 6% moisture,removing most of the harmful oils.the source of these shavings are mostly door and window mfgs. which require low moisture to prevent warping in there products.i'm sure the wood pellets are from similar sources.have fun!
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

" Do you really believe that what you believe is really real ? "

Thanks

"but does not taste like Granola."

Wow, LOL is over used on the internet but this really did make me laugh out loud! Something about it I just found as funny as heck. I have no idea why. It still has me giggling.

Anyway, thanks guys that puts my mind at ease, now an entire thing of aspen to go through so I can get some of that stuff.

4.9 Balls, 6.7 Corns, 1.1 Black Milk Snakes, 0.0.1 Sand boa, 0.1 BCI, 2.0 Dogs, 1.0 Child, 0.0.? Fish

Thanks
    We use a brand of aspen bedding called Premier Pet. The bag reads: "Naturally scent-free and absorbent, No Aromatic Oils, and Encourages exercise and nesting." We found it at our local Tractor Supply. A 4 cubic foot bag is $6.95. We use it for our breeder/feeder mice and our balls.

~ Michael
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Normal
    1.1 Lemon Pastels
    1.3 ASF Colony