Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

3 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Cleaning mice pans

Is there a secret to cleaning mice pans LOL it takes me forever cleaning my 24 tub rack the hoppers and weans get everywhere? Do huge rodent breeders really pick each individual hopper up, for cleaning every week?

Thanks

Re: Cleaning mice pans

When we had a bunch..depending on the age....we either scooped or gently dumped the whole cage (after hand picking out the adults).

For instance, if they are still fuzzies, etc...just scoop them up and put them in the new tub with mom. For hoppers/weans, scoop if they are all clustered, then either dump or pluck out the rest....or just dump the thing to start. As long as you are gentle about sliding them around and such, it wont hurt them.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I use cleaning day as my chance to pick up every mouse individually and make sure it looks healthy. This also helps keep them a little tamer. The exception is pinks; I try to avoid touching them to avoid giving the parents any excuse to make a snack out of them.

I am starting to notice my colony is getting big enough that this is getting impractical. I'm not yet sure how I'm going to handle it to make it quicker.
    Casey

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Every week I remove each pan from the rack, scoop out all the mice into a holding bin, dump the dirty litter, scrape the pan out with a putty knife, replace with fresh litter and move the mice back in. I don't even wash the pans and haven't in years. Mice live in a world of scent, they need their homes to smell familiar otherwise they don't feel as comfortable. I've found that if I wash the pans they actually smell worse after a few days because the mice will be extra busy re-marking their territory.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Every week I remove each pan from the rack, scoop out all the mice into a holding bin, dump the dirty litter, scrape the pan out with a putty knife, replace with fresh litter and move the mice back in. I don't even wash the pans and haven't in years. Mice live in a world of scent, they need their homes to smell familiar otherwise they don't feel as comfortable. I've found that if I wash the pans they actually smell worse after a few days because the mice will be extra busy re-marking their territory.
    We wash out our rat's cement tubs probably every 3 weeks to a month, depending on if it is gross or not. Usually it is just dusty so we either wipe it off with a damp sponge or nothing. Sometimes the rats like to male bedding piles and go pee/poo on the now bare part of the cage...that is when it has to be cleaned.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocko2527 View Post
    Is there a secret to cleaning mice pans LOL it takes me forever cleaning my 24 tub rack the hoppers and weans get everywhere?
    I've found having an extra tub for the rack makes a huge difference. You can just start with a clean, prepared tub, move the mice to it, clean and prepare the next, lather, rinse, repeat. Keeps from having to move groups more than once, and imposes a rather organized assembly-line mentality to the process.

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Thanks

I walked into a rodent breeder’s shed that did not use cleaning solution while cleaning his rodent tubs, and I about passed out. The ammonia was so strong.

I use cleaning solution while cleaning out all of my tubs, and there is no buildup of ammonia. I start to notice a smell in the rodent room a couple of days before cleaning day. I clean once every seven days.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    I walked into a rodent breeder’s shed that did not use cleaning solution while cleaning his rodent tubs, and I about passed out. The ammonia was so strong.

I use cleaning solution while cleaning out all of my tubs, and there is no buildup of ammonia. I start to notice a smell in the rodent room a couple of days before cleaning day. I clean once every seven days.
    Well then he just doesn't clean often enough or have very good ventilation. All rodent colonies will have a build up of ammonia no matter how often or well you clean. Proper ventilation is a must. If it's unpleasant for you, it's not doing the mice any good either.

If you scrap the pans well and don't leave any crusty stuff behind, the smell is very minimal. It's worked well for me for many years.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Wh00h0069 (03-12-2009)

Thanks

I use a much larger and taller bin as a kind of holding area for them. I hold their cage close over the substrate, scoop them onto it, then clean their home cage. I like to use all equi-fresh pellets in their cages as bedding, since they urinate so much and just generally stink.
    `*`

Thanks

Well then he just doesn't clean often enough or have very good ventilation. All rodent colonies will have a build up of ammonia no matter how often or well you clean. Proper ventilation is a must. If it's unpleasant for you, it's not doing the mice any good either.

If you scrap the pans well and don't leave any crusty stuff behind, the smell is very minimal. It's worked well for me for many years.
    Your correct, he didn't have very good ventilation.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast