Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

1 members and 3,227 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Future herp

Thanks

Future herp

So I want to eventually add an arboreal boa to the Herp Closet and was wondering which ones you suggest. I know they aren't the friendliest so I guess which ones do you prefer that look good. If I get him I want to put him in a nice vivarium so he is more visible.
    Steffen, pronounced with f's, not v's
    1.0 Normal BP, Oakley; 0.1 Normal BP, Hissy Fit; 1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas, RIP 2-1-09; 0.0.1 Pacman Frog, Twoey; 1.0 BCI/BCC Cross, Quetzalcoatl "Q"; 0.0.1 Crestie - Flametail; 0.0.1 Crestie - Nuala; 0.1 Emp Scorpion - Black Arachnia; 0.1 ATB - Cortana; 0.0.1 Savvy - Lohe; 0.1 Colombian RTB, Queen Zida; 1.0 Common Boa; 0.0.1 Beardie

Thanks

Re: Future herp

Amazon Tree Boas (Corallus hortulanus) are probably the best beginner arboreal. They are a bit smaller, with much smaller heads. It'll get you used to a possible "temperamental attitude". Seeing as ATBs are generally more aggressive than GTPs and ETBs, it will get you used to dodging.

They also have less of a strict care requirement and come in a rainbow of colors and patterns.

Thanks

Emerald Bay has a pair of adorable little brown (not sure of morph/locale) that I wouldn't mind owning. What is a good site to look at morphs/locales?
    1.0 Normal BP, Oakley; 0.1 Normal BP, Hissy Fit; 1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas, RIP 2-1-09; 0.0.1 Pacman Frog, Twoey; 1.0 BCI/BCC Cross, Quetzalcoatl "Q"; 0.0.1 Crestie - Flametail; 0.0.1 Crestie - Nuala; 0.1 Emp Scorpion - Black Arachnia; 0.1 ATB - Cortana; 0.0.1 Savvy - Lohe; 0.1 Colombian RTB, Queen Zida; 1.0 Common Boa; 0.0.1 Beardie

Thanks

They are probably Garden Phases.

Here are some links I usually post concerning Amazon Tree Boas.

http://www.urbanjungles.com/atbbasics.htm One of the better care sheets and has an awesome color/pattern phase guide.

http://www.boakingdom.com/treeboa.html Nice care sheet, neat example of how ATBs change throughout the aging process.

http://www.corallus.com/ Packed with information of all kinds. From care sheets (neonate and adult), to Natural History, Habitat, etc. Very nice web site for all Corallus species.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

Little B-Py (03-08-2009)

Thanks

the corallus.com site doesn't work, but the others did fine. Thanks for the help!

I think I will be going with the Amazon for now. Not sure when I will be getting them or what colr. I love the red ones though. I have decided though to keep it in a sterilite tub while it is small and then move it up to an AP cage. I assume they cannot be kept in the full 2'x2'x2' cages from a juvenile?

Thanks

I want an amazon personally...just throwing that out there.

1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas R.I.P. 2-1-09 I miss you little boy
    0.1 Ball Python, Hissy Fit
    0.1 Am. Staff, Marry
    0.1 Beagle/Fiest, Halo
    1.0 Ball Python, Oakley
    0.0.1 Pac Man Frog, Twoey
    1.0 Red Tailed Boa, Quetzalcoatl AKA Oatl (waddle)
    0.1 Dumbo Rat, Wombat
    0.1 Hooded Rat, Twinkie
    1.0 Rat, Alfred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little B-Py View Post
    the corallus.com site doesn't work, but the others did fine. Thanks for the help!

I think I will be going with the Amazon for now. Not sure when I will be getting them or what colr. I love the red ones though. I have decided though to keep it in a sterilite tub while it is small and then move it up to an AP cage. I assume they cannot be kept in the full 2'x2'x2' cages from a juvenile?
    I guess his site went down, that's a pity.

2'x2'x2' is a little large for a neonate. Most people keep them in a shoe box size (with perches) for the first few months.

For a Juvenile (1 year plus), 2'x2'x2' is acceptable. Just remember, they need room to thermo regulate, and the enclosure also needs to be able to hold humidity very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas's mom View Post
    I want an amazon personally...just throwing that out there.
    They are a wonderful choice!

Thanks

The random comment is my fiancee...lol

I think the one at Emerlad Bay is around 2'-2.5'. I'm not exactly sure and I don't see stretching him out being an option to see. Is that still considered a neonate?

Thanks

I would probably guess it's a yearling at that size. ATB's are cool, just make sure to get CBB (I preach that enough, huh?) Terry Phillips is selling some for 175 on the Morelia Viridis forum. He's a reasonable guy with usually reasonable prices, not selling his stuff, just saying if you find one for 50 or 75 it's probably a WC.

Thanks

Anyone know an online breeder site? I was looking at GHI and am REALLY diggin the Red Hot and Candycane...heck, I like all of his but he doesn't have any available. That is going to be the biggest issue is deciding on a color because i'm bound to find one I like and then end up finding one I like more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast