Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,404

3 members and 1,401 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Taborri Our little survivor

Introducing Taborri (it means voices that carry) She is a Turkish Angora mix who came to us in a random cruelty case I was working on about 2 years ago. She has peca (randomly eats odd things she shouldn't) and while we were spaying her we also came across an emergency foreign body removal surgery (we pulled coins, paperclips, sponges and unidentified objects) She sadly had a reaction to the anesthesia and her blood pressure dropped, in turn here temp dropped dangerously low. After getting her all stitched up we were unable to raise her body temp high enough (she was a 91!, very low for cats, they should be at least ten degrees higher then that) to be able to give her the reversal.
    Our poor girl was in a coma for two + hours. Luckily with the whole vet hospital staff we were able to get her to warm enough for the reversal.
    That night she was back to her own ways trying to eat random objects...
    She's been doing fine since other then a large stomach scar. She loves talking and loving everyone who comes over.
    Ok, just thought I'd share.
    Thanks
    Rusty

Thanks

Re: Taborri Our little survivor

I meant to ask if anyone else has a cat or dog that may have peca?
    Rusty

Thanks

That cat is AMAZING! I LOVE animals with different colored eyes.

Thanks

Oh Rusty she's so lovely. Those eyes of hers are gorgeous!

Well I have a dog with peca. Bella the Labrador but somehow I think that's just part of being a Lab. This is the third female Labrador I've owned in my life. First was Shadow, a black Lab, then Maggie, another black Lab, now Bella, a yellow Lab. Everyone of them was very bad for eating anything that they could snatch up. I think it's part of this breed LOL.

I've found using our Haltie headcollar at least helps somewhat on walks. Gives me half a chance to wrestle a determined 75 lb dog and get back whatever she's managed to snatch up off the nasty city sidewalks. Around the house we just have to be super careful. Her current fascination is raiding the cat litter boxes (YEWWWW). Covered cat boxes at that, I don't know how she manages to get her big head in there! No NERF toy is safe from her and gawd help young Michael's Star Wars figures - she's addicted to their taste apparently.

Years ago when we owned Shadow we lived 5 hours round trip to the closest vet. When you own a Labrador that will quite happily eat anything that can't get away from her, you learn just how long 2.5 hours in a car with a dog with a bellyache can be.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Oh, I can imagine, I've done more foreign body removals out of labs than any other breed, so as far as dogs you're doing great, (w/ the breeeding of labs these day) I'm sure you've seen it in the media about the biggest "breed" eating foriegn bodies.... (do you recall that european lab ingesting a Butcher Knife?) I just couldn't imagine..I'll go into my fav, dog breeds later but I do know that those dang labs will eat anything under the sun, glad your kids fared well...
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

Your Kitteh is STUNNING! Those eyes could make you melt!!!

I too, have a lab (lab/shar pei mix) that will eat ANYTHING he can get in his mouth. He is fascinated with cat turds and even his own turds (YUCKY!!) I was shocked one day while on a walk with him, there was shiny stuff in his poop - since we bag it anyway...I brought it home instead of tossing it out in the garbage, and made the hubby take a closer look. Boner had eaten and passed 3 quarters, 1 bolt, 2 nuts, and 2 other unidentifiable shiny metal objects. I took him to the vet, they checked him out and all was good. I was told to keep a very watchful eye on him. I am constantly pulling the weirdest crap out of his mouth. He has a plethora of chewies, bones, etc., but yet he prefers pens, money, tools & turds.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Awwww! Taborri is gorgeous!!

Quote Originally Posted by CTReptileRescue View Post
    I meant to ask if anyone else has a cat or dog that may have peca?
    Rusty
    When I was a kid, we had a border-collie mix that was neurotic and would eat ssooooo many different things. It was scary. A couple days after a birthday party once, we started finding VERY colorful piles of poop in the backyard. (Balloon bits....she popped 'em and ate 'em) She would eat balls....completely demolish a tennis ball in minutes...baseballs and softballs...even a football once. She even tried to eat the croquet balls! (Hardwood balls you knock through loops in the yard with mallots)

As she got older, she moved on to more exotic stuff like pins and needles, aluminum foil and twist-ties or anything with wires in it. There were times my dad had to remove a needle or pin from her gums with pliars. Poor dog would try to bite his face off when he did so...or anytime we tried to take such a thing away from her. Eventually we had to put her down.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Awwww! Taborri is gorgeous!!

When I was a kid, we had a border-collie mix that was neurotic and would eat ssooooo many different things. It was scary. A couple days after a birthday party once, we started finding VERY colorful piles of poop in the backyard. (Balloon bits....she popped 'em and ate 'em) She would eat balls....completely demolish a tennis ball in minutes...baseballs and softballs...even a football once. She even tried to eat the croquet balls! (Hardwood balls you knock through loops in the yard with mallots)

As she got older, she moved on to more exotic stuff like pins and needles, aluminum foil and twist-ties or anything with wires in it. There were times my dad had to remove a needle or pin from her gums with pliars. Poor dog would try to bite his face off when he did so...or anytime we tried to take such a thing away from her. Eventually we had to put her down.
    I had a kitten that ate some random things once, whole water balloons, and pieces of a broken tiara...random stuff. She passed it luckily but its scary.
    ~Alli