Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

3 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Hides

Thanks

Hides

At what size do you not keep a hide in the enclosure? Mine has 2 and he is constantly in them, one is a little slim for him but he acts like he could care less. I figure that they just get too big for hides but to have them until they are that size, correct?
    Steffen, pronounced with f's, not v's
    1.0 Normal BP, Oakley; 0.1 Normal BP, Hissy Fit; 1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas, RIP 2-1-09; 0.0.1 Pacman Frog, Twoey; 1.0 BCI/BCC Cross, Quetzalcoatl "Q"; 0.0.1 Crestie - Flametail; 0.0.1 Crestie - Nuala; 0.1 Emp Scorpion - Black Arachnia; 0.1 ATB - Cortana; 0.0.1 Savvy - Lohe; 0.1 Colombian RTB, Queen Zida; 1.0 Common Boa; 0.0.1 Beardie

Thanks

Re: Hides

We offer the two younger boas hides and they seem to love them. Our fully mature (9 ft) female boa does not have a hide but her custom caging allows her to bask in an area that is not easily seen by passing people. She also has cool areas on the floor that she can enjoy without being constantly "on display". I think it depends on the age of your snake, it's temperment as far as being overly shy, the type of housing it's in and the room the snake's home is in (whether it's quiet or busy).

Even my daughter's Milksnake who is the least shy snake and does very well in our busy livingroom is still offered a hide and vines/decorative logs and rocks that she can get into or behind. I think every snake may at some point just need a quiet place to chill out a bit.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

They are in a separate room in the house that pretty much no one goes in. But typically the only people home are Ashtin and me. It is an extremely low traffic area and he seems to always stay in his hides. Should I cover up some of his sides or does it not really matter since he is in a room with the rest of the herps?
    1.0 Normal BP, Oakley; 0.1 Normal BP, Hissy Fit; 1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas, RIP 2-1-09; 0.0.1 Pacman Frog, Twoey; 1.0 BCI/BCC Cross, Quetzalcoatl "Q"; 0.0.1 Crestie - Flametail; 0.0.1 Crestie - Nuala; 0.1 Emp Scorpion - Black Arachnia; 0.1 ATB - Cortana; 0.0.1 Savvy - Lohe; 0.1 Colombian RTB, Queen Zida; 1.0 Common Boa; 0.0.1 Beardie

Thanks

You might want to try it just to see if it encourages him to come out of his hide more. Just get a dark cloth or even black construction paper and cover up a bit of his tank sides (I'm assuming it's a glass tank). To be honest, as friendly as my son's young male boa is, that snake loves his darned hide. It's a huge black plastic bowl I found one hallowe'en - meant to hold candy at the door. Sev just loves it even though he really doesn't need the "privacy" factor in the room he's housed in. I figure if it makes him happy then why not. We are building him his own custom cage soon to give him the ability to climb as our big female has so I think then he may likely be out and about more than he is now in his large glass tank.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

He is in a glass tank. I keep the door shut so the room is the perfect temp/humidity (with the help of a $24 humidifier I bought the other day...best purchase yet!). I have went in there at night with a red light and he is still in his hide. The balls are even out at that time.

Thanks

Is it better to provide 2 hides or is one enough? He uses both.

Thanks

Well I'm sort of old school in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" department. If your snake seems happy, is thermoregulating himself, eats well, sheds well, accepts handling, yadda yadda - then I think it would be safe to assume he likes how you are housing him.

If you're concerned that being in the hides so much isn't giving him enough exercise, get him out. Boas tend to deal with more handling than a shyer, easily stressed snake like a ball python.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

We have only had him since Tuesday, but fed him tonight, no problems at all. We thought he wasn't going to eat until Ashtin smacked him in the face with the rat...not a happy Q at that point, struck...coiled...gulped...gone...nuff said. I guess I'll stay with the 2 hides since he is ok with it. I try to get him out every day and let him crawl around of the floor since he will explore more than the balls.

Thanks

I find that my boas also spend more time in the hides then out, when I pick them up they are happy eating good and shedding well, but would like to see them out once and a wile, I cant remember were I heard some one that raises boas that he does not put hides on them because it tends to make them more reclusive, any one herd that before?

Thanks

I haven't heard of that but it makes sense because Q is always in his hide. It doesn't really bother me because I look at it as him feeling secure kinda like the balls. And like Joanna said, as long as they are eating normally and shedding then it's ok.