Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,982

3 members and 2,979 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Too much humidity? And a morph question.

Would a humidity of 60% do any harm to these little guys? I think I'm giving up on purchasing a blood python and may get a hoggy at the next reptile expo...they just have the darned cutest faces!

But back to my original question, what are ways to reduce the humidity if that indeed is too high? All I can think of is using paper as a substrate and having a teeny tiny water bowl. But paper isn't really recommended for these guys as they like to burrow, right?

Last question...what are the cheapest hognose morphs available? I've been drooling over the red albinos on this forum but I need something more in my price range. Are there any pastel ball python equivalents in hoggies?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Thanks

Re: Too much humidity? And a morph question.

Your cheapest morph is going to be a regular albino. About $300 shipped, although someone posted here that they've seen them as low as $150 at local shows. The red albinos are going to cost a good bit more.

Normal Albino:

Extreme Red Albino:

I'm not sure what you could do as far as lowering the humidity goes, though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:

Hapa_Haole (03-03-2009)

Thanks

Thanks, Red. Experimentation with hognose morphs is relatively new explaining the higher price tags, right?

What's the deal with the normal Western hoggies with green or red (i think its red?) tints?

-Dennis

Thanks

And yet another person falls to "hoggyism"...

1. I wouldn't recommend it. If you use crushed english walnut shells, that sould dry the place up a bit, while also having a burrow-able suface.

2. I've seen standard albinos and a high-green for $100 (but that's really cheap), and "oddballs" (unusual for a Hogger's pattern) for $60. You want to see a pastel? Well if you visit my profile page, you're looking at one! (the picture on the right).

P.S. Go for "Hoggerism"!
    Last edited by Hardwikk; 03-02-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardwikk For This Useful Post:

Hapa_Haole (03-03-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hapa_Haole View Post
    Thanks, Red. Experimentation with hognose morphs is relatively new explaining the higher price tags, right?

What's the deal with the normal Western hoggies with green or red (i think its red?) tints?

-Dennis
    It isn't really that new, but people are just starting to get into it. There are morphs that have been around since 2000 that are only being bred by a handful of people still. Like the Pink Pastel. Eric Spisak is the only person I have seen advertise homozygous examples in the last few years. I may have missed some, though, since I just started paying attention to them recently.

Right now they are starting to pick up in popularity, which is why you're just now hearing about a lot of the morphs. I've heard quite a few people saying they will be the next Ball Python (as in the next "big thing" with herps). Thankfully their prices are starting off much more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwikk View Post
    2. I've seen standard albinos and a high-green for $100 (but that's really cheap), and "oddballs" (unusual for a Hogger's pattern) for $60.
    Where have you seen the "oddballs" for sale? I'm still looking to buy more Hogs, but I don't see many people advertising them. I've contacted a few people through Kingsnake, and they will only sell normal males. The few people with females want $65+ each for normal looking ones, so I'd rather get some unique ones for that price if possible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
    Where have you seen the "oddballs" for sale? I'm still looking to buy more Hogs, but I don't see many people advertising them. I've contacted a few people through Kingsnake, and they will only sell normal males. The few people with females want $65+ each for normal looking ones, so I'd rather get some unique ones for that price if possible.
    I don't know much about online vendors, as I saw some at the All-Cleveland Reptile Show & Sale. If you check out your expo you might find one.
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

Good choice ... you'll be glad you have one. Hognose snakes have lots of behavior and personality, so they're easy to love no matter what color. If you don't want to spend a lot, I'd suggest hets from trusted sources otherwise find a normal that you like (such as the greens that you mentioned). Normal Hoggies are highly varied in appearance. If you don't want to spend $1000 ... or more on anerys, Toffees, and Anaconda morphs, get a high red or green normal.

As for humidity, like you mentioned, go with a small water dish. And for substrate, lots of people use aspen bedding, care fresh, or newspaper. Best of luck, they're a hardy and forgiving species for the most part. Adam

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam_S For This Useful Post:

Hapa_Haole (03-03-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_S View Post
    As for humidity, like you mentioned, go with a small water dish. And for substrate, lots of people use aspen bedding, care fresh, or newspaper. Best of luck, they're a hardy and forgiving species for the most part. Adam
    The problem is my BP is in a tub and on aspen with a small water dish with a humidity of 65%. I doubt putting in a smaller dish will do much to lower the humidity as it is already quite small.

So what are my other options? Increasing ventilation? Switching to newspaper? (although I hear aspen doesn't hold moisture well at all anyway...) I'm stumped here. Will a 60% ambient humidity do any harm?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Thanks

Increasing ventilation, if possible, would naturally be a best bet. My hunch is that if the substrate is dry and the water dish is reasonably small (not too small, you want the little guy to be able to find it) and temps are good, you won't have a problem. If you are using 3 inches of aspen bedding, then your snake will most likely spend a lot of time undernieth it. If the animal is under an inch or two of dry aspen on the warm side, and the water dish is on the opposite side of the heat, I wouldn't be too worried personally.

The health problems you'll notice from humidity that is too high will likely be apparent skin problems, blistering and discoloration. This would be from chronic damp or unclean conditions or inadequate ventilation--nothing you want to see, but not something you hear a whole lot about from careful hognose snake keepers either.

best of luck,
    Adam

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam_S For This Useful Post:

Hapa_Haole (03-04-2009)