Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,308

2 members and 3,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks

Re: Ban on pet primates

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Micheal Jackson did NOT have the resources to own a chimp. That is the reason Bubbles was eventually taken to a sanctuary, when he became too dangerous and unruly to handle, when beating and throwing him against the wall wasn't enough to intimidate him.
    Think I'm exagerating? That's what Micheal testified to,w hen he gave his chimp to the sanctuary. The "trainer" beat a baby chimp to get it to behave. That's how baby chimps are controlled for commercials.
    Is ANYONE equipted? Yes, certain private individuals CAN put enough money, time and effort into keeping any exotic out there. Will they? In 99% of cases, NO.
    Be careful posting that on here. You are on a ball python website.

I'm going to assume that by saying "any exotic" you really only meant to say non-human primates. In that case, you probably missed my earlier post where I mentioned owning a monkey is not that uncommon where I grew up.

I'm not sure I'm clear on where you stand. Do you agree that ownership of non-human primates by private individuals should be banned? Or are you saying that banning is not necessary as long as it is strictly regulated? Or are you saying ownership of ANY exotics should be banned?

Let's say that 99% number you mentioned is accurate. So, you're saying too bad for the 1% who are able, capable, educated enough, who DO want it? You're saying Jane Goodall shouldn't be allowed to own one because Michael Jackson can't care properly for his?
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Jane Goodall is completely opposed to owning chimps as pets. If you read my sentance, I said that "certain private individuals CAN put enough money, time and effort into keeping any exotic out there".
    Yes a private individual CAN put any exotic AT ALL into a proper enclosure and care for it properly. It's whether the general public person WILL do so. There is a private individual in the UK that owns the best gorilla group ever. Housed in one of the best collections. That does not mean that I think ANY person should be able to own a gorilla. That means people are CAPABLE of properly caring for ANY animal, IF they will put sufficient time, effort and money into it.
    I support strict regulation if not banning of ownership of apes, and strict regulation of ownership of non-human primates(other than apes). I see no good reason to make it easy for a typical joe public to buy an animal that needs such specialized care and caging and socialization as a ape or elephant for that matter.
    There are exceptions of people who will properly care for such exoptics, but they are rare. I KNOW of someone with chimps, but she has them properly housed, properly fed, and overall properly cared for as good as any high-class zoo. I've seen/heard of several that needed the chimps taken away and placed into sanctuarys and all needed extensive health care due to horrible conditions they were kept in.
    Does this make it clearer as to what my stand is? If the choice is between no regulation of owning apes, and banning owning apes, I'd support banning rather than having no regulations at all. Keeping a single chimp caged in a 5 ft cage for it's entire misrable life is not humane, and should not be possible in modern america.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

anatess (03-05-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Jane Goodall is completely opposed to owning chimps as pets. If you read my sentance, I said that "certain private individuals CAN put enough money, time and effort into keeping any exotic out there".
    Yes a private individual CAN put any exotic AT ALL into a proper enclosure and care for it properly. It's whether the general public person WILL do so. There is a private individual in the UK that owns the best gorilla group ever. Housed in one of the best collections. That does not mean that I think ANY person should be able to own a gorilla. That means people are CAPABLE of properly caring for ANY animal, IF they will put sufficient time, effort and money into it.
    I support strict regulation if not banning of ownership of apes, and strict regulation of ownership of non-human primates(other than apes). I see no good reason to make it easy for a typical joe public to buy an animal that needs such specialized care and caging and socialization as a ape or elephant for that matter.
    There are exceptions of people who will properly care for such exoptics, but they are rare. I KNOW of someone with chimps, but she has them properly housed, properly fed, and overall properly cared for as good as any high-class zoo. I've seen/heard of several that needed the chimps taken away and placed into sanctuarys and all needed extensive health care due to horrible conditions they were kept in.
    Does this make it clearer as to what my stand is? If the choice is between no regulation of owning apes, and banning owning apes, I'd support banning rather than having no regulations at all. Keeping a single chimp caged in a 5 ft cage for it's entire misrable life is not humane, and should not be possible in modern america.
    Ahh... See, we are saying the exact same thing after all! I just didn't think of the choice between no regulation and banning ONLY. And I hope those are not the only choices the powers-that-be are considering. Regulation and Education together should be THE ONLY choice!
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

I see this is quite the debate (I love debates)....
    Being from CT and understanding the "laws and regulations" here. I will say that you are unable to own a primate in this state, unless you have the proper permits... Now some folks are "grand fathered" in, and continue to keep primates (few and far between).
    I'll start off just by saying I have absolutely no experience in primate care, education nor husbandry (you can really only rescue one "animal" and I chose the herps).
    I will say that a year or so back I walked out into my front foyer and found a loose green vervet monkey. Yes you read that right. Now I've had calls for all sorts of animals, horses, llamas, alpacas, goats, cows, sugar gliders, even prairie dogs, but I rescue reptile, amphibians and arachnids... Not mammals, and definitely not monkeys...

I somehow through instinct I guess from being a general wildlife rehabilitator (rabies vector species certified) was able to coral this poor frightened animal.
    Crate him and call my exotic vet (luckily on call for the rescue). We found out, well first we ID'd him as I had no clue what kind of monkey he was, but we found upon physical exam that he was defanged:

Note the tongue hanging, I just understand I wouldn't want to be defanged, as I'm sure Venomous snakes don't want to be "de venomized". I could continue this for three pages but won't, I may be a bit biased because I see the darker side of exotic animal care, including herp keepers...
    Now I am not one to intrude on what people can own.
    I will say that I understand why I had to go through classes and get certified to rehab native wildlife. Again this includes rabies vector species (here in Ct that includes bats, raccoons, skunks, foxes ect) and I have a full respect for that process.
    I am also involved with whatever laws may be regarding my states "herp" laws. I will say this 2 years ago by CT state law you could not own, buy, sell or transport a Russian Tortoise. But Petco has been selling them for 6+ years.
    I am only sharing this in the sense that if you want a regulation to come into play about any type of personal freedom restriction (IE gun, or exotic animal control) who should be the one to enforce it?
    I know my state regulators aren't on the ball.... I am trying to change that.
    But who can you trust to make your "decision" making for you?
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

I apologize if I "hijacked this thread"... Please continue with this, I find it very interesting. I felt the need to respond only because I am from the state where this blew out of control from to begin with...please respond
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CTReptileRescue View Post
    I apologize if I "hijacked this thread"... Please continue with this, I find it very interesting. I felt the need to respond only because I am from the state where this blew out of control from to begin with...please respond
    Rusty
    Rusty... if I can ask, what happened to the primate in the pics above?

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

No problem at all,
    This guy was immediately turned over to the CT DEP (I can assume he went to USFW), I called them (my contact at DEP) once I found him, "Bagged" him, and was on my way to my vet.
    They met me there after (or actually during) a full vet work up..
    Again I am not a primate rescue.. but you never know what will end up on your doorstep (sadly at that time people were much more aware of my address).
    I have been told he went on to a much better situation with someone whom could handle him...
    I can only hope this is true.
    Thanks,
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:

Thanks

There's a common marmoset for sale in the reptile store close to my house... I hope and pray he goes to a "responsible owner".
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456