Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,448

5 members and 3,443 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: living together?

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Isn't that what you've been doing this whole thread? Calling people out?
    Agreed. sure looks like it to me.

Thanks

Sorry to revive an old thread...

I was just having a discussion with the reptile store owner about housing multiple snakes together (he's the one with a burm, a retic, a boa, and an anaconda all together)... then, I remembered this thread.

So, let me understand this... you can house multiple carpets together but you can't house multiple bp's together?
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post

I was just having a discussion with the reptile store owner about housing multiple snakes together (he's the one with a burm, a retic, a boa, and an anaconda all together)... then, I remembered this thread.

So, let me understand this... you can house multiple carpets together but you can't house multiple bp's together?
    From my understanding, the argument is that carpets do not fight for dominance, hiding spot, or heat sources, and ball pythons do.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post

If you read the whole thread, it is pointed out that Jerhart's and others animals are breeding animals and kept together year round because, in their experience, the animals are more acclimated with each other and breeding is more successful.

I don't want to come off like I am suggesting carpet keepers should keep them together as default, but that it is an advanced technique that has been shown to work for some keepers and shouldn't be automatically disregarded as completely incorrect.

I also want to point out that comparing and using a carpets personality, habits and mannerisms when kept together as a reason to keep ball pythons together is faulty logic at best. Ball python care should be issued on it's own merits.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

This argument has been tossed around here as long as I've been a member........I've seen a couple of people called out hard for doing it...........

While I have no experience with morelia, I do have experience with antaresia (stimsons, maccies, childreni and perthensis). Given a big enough enclsoure, I house 1.1 pairs together. I've been doing it for years and never had a problem. It can complicate some aspects of record keeping but providing that the proper husbandry considerations are given, it's not a big deal.

Would I recommend it to someone who just got a pair of childreni and is new to the species? No. There are too many things that need to be considered - these things have been touched upon in this thread - separation during feeding time, providing large enough basking and hides spots, providing a large enough enclosure, making sure that the animals are properly quarantined and cleared of potential pathogens before introduction, etc, etc.

Making a blanket statement that you can never house any snakes together period is incorrect. It holds for some species but not others. It's mainly dependent on the experience of the keeper and the adherance to proper husbandry practices.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Colin Vestrand (03-19-2009),DutchHerp (03-18-2009),JAMills (03-19-2009),Jerhart (03-18-2009),littleindiangirl (03-18-2009)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678