Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,303

0 members and 1,303 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Can they live in the wild?

I rescued two red ear sliders several months ago where they were living in deplorable conditions. They have tripled in size since in my care, and they are the first turtles I have ever owned. My question is, do you think that they would survive if released back in the wild? I am scared to death that they will be mistreated if I adopt them out again. I think they have a better chance in the wild than with another family who will neglect them. There is a very large pond behind my mothers house that is private and I was thinking about releasing them there. I have been feeding them lots of live fish, grasshoppers, mealworms to help kick in there instincts. But I was just curious of what everyone else thought. Thanks so much! Oh and one is a male about 8 inches long and the female is about 10 inches long. That is snout to tail.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Can they live in the wild?

Releasing captive animals into the wild is illegal every place I know and always a bad idea, even if there weren't specific laws forbidding it.

If you take in animals as rescues, then you have to be prepared to deal with the commitment that comes along with the rescue. I applaud you for that, but now that they're bigger and difficult to house, you still have that obligation. There's nothing wrong with trying to rehome them with a responsible keeper....but don't use "they might end up in a bad place again" as an excuse to just toss them into a pond somewhere. It's up to YOU to find them a good home if you can't keep them anymore.
    -- Judy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

snakelover88 (02-20-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Releasing captive animals into the wild is illegal every place I know and always a bad idea, even if there weren't specific laws forbidding it.

If you take in animals as rescues, then you have to be prepared to deal with the commitment that comes along with the rescue. I applaud you for that, but now that they're bigger and difficult to house, you still have that obligation. There's nothing wrong with trying to rehome them with a responsible keeper....but don't use "they might end up in a bad place again" as an excuse to just toss them into a pond somewhere. It's up to YOU to find them a good home if you can't keep them anymore.

That is exactly what I was thinking but everyone keeps saying to release them in the wild. I have no problem holding on to them until finding the right home, just wanted to get everyones thoughts on this. Thanks!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

You tool them as rescues and I applaud you for that however if you cannot or or no longer wish to care for them your responsibility if to re-home.
    Deborah Stewart