Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,934

2 members and 1,932 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

View Poll Results: Which Axanthic line do you prefer?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jolliff

8 3.79%
  • TSK

21 9.95%
  • VPI

148 70.14%
  • No preference

34 16.11%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Axanthic Lines?

Thanks

Re: Axanthic Lines?

How can the different lines not be compatable? If you breed an axanthic to an axanthic you should make axanthics, right? Is that not true of breeding one line of axanthic to another line of axanthic? Do you get all normals somehow? I'm rather confused about that.

I too would like to know which line would most likely hold their B&W look into adulthood. I desperately want to try for axanthic pieds myself... Some day...

Dizzy (Is never online anymore )

BPs:
    0.1 pinstripe (Brody)
    1.0 normal (Rogue)
    1.0 pastel (Valo)
    0.2 het albino (Dali & Vee Vee)
    1.1 het orange ghost (Max & Brook)
    0.4 poss. het pied (Polly, Nic, Marla & Fertility)

0.0.1 albino pacman frog
    0.0.4 fire bellied toads

1.0 bearded dragon (Bart)

0.1 the best cat in the world (Salem)
    2.0 kittens (Donny & Walter)

Thanks

I prefer VPI line Axanthics.

As far as Dizzys question goes it seems that while the end results are very similar they are not exactly the same as far as their locations on the gene strand and thus not compatable. So if you breed a Joliff line Axanthic with a VPI line Axanthic you will get a bunch of normal looking axanthics that are double het for both lines. I'm not sure if anyone has bread two double hets together to see if a superior axanthic would come about. It can take years to hit the odds and the end result might not be able to be told from an axanthic of one line so the only way to find out would be breeding it to a pure strain of each. Very rough project if you ask me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
    I prefer VPI line Axanthics.

As far as Dizzys question goes it seems that while the end results are very similar they are not exactly the same as far as their locations on the gene strand and thus not compatable. So if you breed a Joliff line Axanthic with a VPI line Axanthic you will get a bunch of normal looking axanthics that are double het for both lines. I'm not sure if anyone has bread two double hets together to see if a superior axanthic would come about. It can take years to hit the odds and the end result might not be able to be told from an axanthic of one line so the only way to find out would be breeding it to a pure strain of each. Very rough project if you ask me.
    You mean, a bunch of normals that are het for both lines, correct?

Thanks

I'm working with SK Line Axanthics, I picked up an absolutely incredible Male, and a decent Female.

I don't think lineage is important, I think finding the best example is.

Here he is at 600g; The picture doesn't quite reflect how bright he is, but you get the idea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Akua_Ko_Nalu For This Useful Post:

kenneally1 (12-14-2009)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    How can the different lines not be compatable? If you breed an axanthic to an axanthic you should make axanthics, right? Is that not true of breeding one line of axanthic to another line of axanthic? Do you get all normals somehow? I'm rather confused about that.

I too would like to know which line would most likely hold their B&W look into adulthood. I desperately want to try for axanthic pieds myself... Some day...
    This happens because the different lines are in truth different types of mutations that effect the animal in varied degrees of the same way.

Just because the animals closely exhibit the homozygous trait doesn't mean that they are the same genetically.

So if you look at say a lesser Mojo BEL while the combo of the two looks like a Homozygous Lesser on a genetic level they are not the same.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by briz View Post
    I am working with and prefer VPI line. My axanthics are coming out of my snow project which from all the snows I've seen are by far the best out there. Most will agree VPI snows are better.
    Even though I am partial to VPI line animals, and breed many of them, I would have to disagree with your above statement. The best looking Snow that I have ever seen is a SK line Snow that was hatched by Ralph Davis. I am however, working with some VPI Snow animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebead View Post
    Corey Woods has his line of Red Axanthics, and Mark Mandic just got the first Axanthic Pied out with an unknown female.
    What a way to find out you are working with the axanthic gene.. can we say horseshoes???
    Not sure on compatability tho
    http://www.ballpython.ca/images/morp...cs/pieax1b.jpg
    Actually Marc was able to trace back his Het Pied animals to Steve Roussis, who I believe was able to find out that the lineage actually had a possibility of carrying Axanthic genes. So, his animals are from a known line of Axanthic (I don't know which line it was). Don't quote me on this, but I believe that was the correct story.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mischke View Post
    You mean, a bunch of normals that are het for both lines, correct?
    Yes. Het for VPI Axanthic and Het for Joliff axanthic. I do not think this has been done on purpose to date since the breeder selling the offspring would be hard pressed to identify what line they would be selling down the road when they bred these babies back to each other. You could not even claim them as a new line as one offspring could be Joliff and the other VPI without any het trait for the other creating a case where the offspring bred back together would create all normals which if you didn't know the genetics would lead a person to believe they are not genetic.

Now I think I am confussing myself!

Thanks

Can anyone who knows an adult or sub-adult for the other lines (Joliff, VPI, and if they exist D&M NERD) Axanthics post pics so we can compare?

I'd really like to see how they look as they grow into adulthood.

Thanks in advance
    1.0 Coral Glow Blade Clown
    0.8 Het Clown
    0.1 Pastel Het Clown
    0.1 Pastel Pied
    1.1 Hypo BEL (Mojave/Lesser)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Fire VPI Axanthic
    0.3 Het VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Leopard Blade
    0.1 Super Blade
    1.0 Coral Glow Yellow Belly
    2.0 Pied
    0.3 Het Pied
    0.1 Super Pastel Yellowbelly Brite
    0.1 Sulfur
    0.1 Black Butter het Ghost
    1.0 TCR Special
    0.10 Dinkers
    1.1 Siberian Husky

Registered User AceOfSpadesB.P.'s Avatar
    Thanks

I prefer V.P.I. line...I have two Axanthic of VPI and they are GREAT ANIMALS.
    http://aceofspadessnakes.wix.com/ballpythons

Thanks

Most of this is hearsay so bear with me.

NERD compatible w/ VPI
    D&M compatible w/ SK

Also Jollif has been proven to not be compatible with VPI (there are double hets and possible double hets running around).

On record the only SK to VPI breeding was het to het. 6 eggs. No Axanthics. Long odds to say for sure that they aren't compatible. I had heard Graziani and Micheal Cole were going to try homozygous to homozygous breedings to prove it out for sure this year but haven't heard how that's going.

Overall I'd say the best axanthic line is buying into a particular animal that has the coloration you are looking for, a good price, and is from a reliable source. I think if you do that you'll be very happy with whichever line you choose

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon-x View Post
    Can anyone who knows an adult or sub-adult for the other lines (Joliff, VPI, and if they exist D&M NERD) Axanthics post pics so we can compare?

I'd really like to see how they look as they grow into adulthood.

Thanks in advance
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jdconstriction
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/jdconstriction
    Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/jdconstriction

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast