Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

2 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Colombian vs. Guyana

I was thinking about potentially getting my Ashtin a RTB for Valentines day and was wondering the differences between the 2. Stuff like size, temperment? Are they both BCI or BCC? We would get a juvenile and keep it in my 40 breeder for now and then upgrade it to the larger size when it gets larger. What is your input, feedback, suggestions, etc.
    Steffen, pronounced with f's, not v's
    1.0 Normal BP, Oakley; 0.1 Normal BP, Hissy Fit; 1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas, RIP 2-1-09; 0.0.1 Pacman Frog, Twoey; 1.0 BCI/BCC Cross, Quetzalcoatl "Q"; 0.0.1 Crestie - Flametail; 0.0.1 Crestie - Nuala; 0.1 Emp Scorpion - Black Arachnia; 0.1 ATB - Cortana; 0.0.1 Savvy - Lohe; 0.1 Colombian RTB, Queen Zida; 1.0 Common Boa; 0.0.1 Beardie

Thanks

Re: Colombian vs. Guyana

The two species are very much different. In the pet trade, most Boa constrictor imperator are referred to as "red tails". Which is actually incorrect. Red-tails are Boa constrictor constrictor. However, to confuse you more, there are boa from Colombia (for the most part referred to as BCI) that are true red tails (BCC). But they are very very very uncommon in the pet trade. To save time, we'll say you are asking about Colombian BCI and not Colombian BCC.
    For the most part, yes, BCC get bigger. But this is a highly overstated comment. Every boa grows at a different rate, regardless of the ssp. You'll hear a lot of, "BCC get 8-12ft" or whatever. It's bogus. They do attain great lengths, but it's very uncommon to see a BCC over 10ft. Even more so one that is in good health and not obese. Expect both ssps. to fall in the 5-10ft range. Depending on what subspecies you get, sex, how often you feed, cage temps, genetics ect will aid in your boa's growth.
    The difference between the two ssp. (BCC and BCI) are as clear as night and day. Ruling out the different saddle and scale counts, tail color (overall color), the morphological look (head shape, body shape etc) are very much different. BCC have larger looking heads and are quite different looking than a BCI. BCC have a more rectangular shaped body while a BCI is more rounded. Again, you just have to look at a lot of photos to see the difference.
    Once you have looked at tons of photos between the two, it's very clear on the difference. Husbandry wise, they are the same generally. BCI tend to me more tolerant to errors than BCC as they can be sensitive if not cared for properly. I feel it's a good practice to treat all ssp. of the Boa constrictor the same way.

Most experienced observers can tell a Constrictor constrictor from a Constrictor imperator at a glance at any age but it is certainly true that a lot of smaller boas require a close look especially if you haven't looked at a lot of Boas.
    I personally believe that a boa's attitude or temperament is based on the care that it is given. If something is off, it will let you know. And I am going to cut it off there before I make this any longer.
    Brandon

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ssjsmits For This Useful Post:

cassandra (02-15-2009),Little B-Py (02-11-2009),Wh00h0069 (02-16-2009)

Thanks

If you feel the need to keep going then by all means. I want to try and figure out what needs to be figured out before I make a decision. So a Colombian Boa is a BCC and what is a Guyana? A BCC or BCI? I can understand where it could/is comfusing. What is a good site to see pics of both or a few websites specifically designed for the different species?
    1.0 Normal BP, Oakley; 0.1 Normal BP, Hissy Fit; 1.0 Savannah Monitor, Abraxas, RIP 2-1-09; 0.0.1 Pacman Frog, Twoey; 1.0 BCI/BCC Cross, Quetzalcoatl "Q"; 0.0.1 Crestie - Flametail; 0.0.1 Crestie - Nuala; 0.1 Emp Scorpion - Black Arachnia; 0.1 ATB - Cortana; 0.0.1 Savvy - Lohe; 0.1 Colombian RTB, Queen Zida; 1.0 Common Boa; 0.0.1 Beardie

Thanks

well found this site and it helped me to figure out that Colombians and Guyanas are both BCCs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little B-Py View Post
    If you feel the need to keep going then by all means. I want to try and figure out what needs to be figured out before I make a decision. So a Colombian Boa is a BCC and what is a Guyana? A BCC or BCI? I can understand where it could/is comfusing. What is a good site to see pics of both or a few websites specifically designed for the different species?
    Quote Originally Posted by Little B-Py View Post
    well found this site and it helped me to figure out that Colombians and Guyanas are both BCCs.
    Like I said, there are Colombian BCC, but they are rare. The vast majority are BCI. To this day, I have yet to see anyone with a Colombian BCC. They are all BCI. A Guyana is a BCC.
    Here's the best website, IMO.
    http://www.riobravoreptiles.com/index.htm
    Brandon

Thanks

Well she wants a red tail so I guess I'm gonna go with a Guyana then.

Thanks

Do your homework. Guyana/Suriname boas are not easy to care for unless you have prepared yourself.
    Brandon

Thanks

Why are they so hard to care for? I have read the caresheets about them. The info is basically the same as the balls minus some temp differences. I understand that they get large in both weight and length. It also shows on the bp.net caresheet that they are a beginner rating.
    Last edited by Little B-Py; 02-11-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks

That particular ssp of boa aren't forgiving to husbandry errors (i.e temperature and humidity fluctuations, vibrations, overfeeding, frequent feedings, excessive handling etc) like royals and BCI's. Their not fragile reptiles, but you have to be careful with them.
    Brandon

Thanks

There is a red tail at E.Bay that she plays with every time we go there and she is perfectly content with being played with. She just crawls around her and typically rests her head on top of Ashtin's head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast