Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,150

2 members and 3,148 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Starter Colony Size-Dubias

I want to get a colony of dubias started, and I have finally found a source (hopefully). I want to know what exactly I want before I place the order.

Currently, we have a spiderling of G. rosea eating about a dozen 10day pinhead crix a week, but we would also like to starting giving bugs to our crested, who would probably eat large 10day pins, maybe smalls at the moment.

The main reasons for the colony are....
    1) We want to get a beardie and/or chameleon this summer.
    2) We do not have a car, and it is a pain to go to the 1 petstore in town that carries the size of crix we need. I realize it will be a while before we get to avoid this, but the sooner the better.

With that said, what size of colony do you all think we should start out with? Be as specific as you can, especially with whether you think just breeding adults or a mixture would be best.
    -Austin
    0.8 Normal 1.0 Pastel 0.0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Kahl BCI-08's-FS/T
    1.0 Hypo Citrus Beardie (Citrón)
    0.1 Citrus Beardie (Tang)
    0.0.1 Rose Hair Tarantula (Rose)
    0.1 Himalayan Cat (Meredith)
    0.2 Persian Cats (Madison and Myrtle)
    1.0 Shih-Tzu (Gizmo) 0.1 Lhasa-Apso (Lana)
    Rats, ASF's, Turks & Dubias.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Starter Colony Size-Dubias

A young beardie eats tons, mine was eating 100 dubia a day!!! I dont like wasting money on adults because in a month or 2 your have adults anyways and you should let all colonies go for atleast 2-3 months before you start feeding them off. 25 adult females will give you about 500 roaches a month.

I would start with the largest colony you can afford at the time. May I ask where you are buying them from?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clear For This Useful Post:

Michelle.C (02-09-2009),ThyTempest (02-09-2009)

Thanks

I will be buying them locally from a friend in my herp club. I do not know the specifics of pricing yet, but more than likely, the lack of shipping and the frindly discount will outweigh even the best prices online. If this isnt the case, I will be buying from whoever will give me the best deal.

I am not that concerned about pricing quite yet, more worried about getting a colony up to size in order to be able to feed consistently out of it. I have heard about 50% of the people saying to just get some breeding adults, other saying mixed with nymphs, and possibly some extra adult females.

Also, I am wanting to really narrow down their husbandry requirements, especially food.

I plan on keeping them in large rubbermaid/sterilite totes with a mesh screen vent and temps in the upper 80s to 90's.

I have heard food staples varying from commercial roach diet (which is what exactly?), dog food, cat food, rodent lab blocks, fish food....all ground up.

Water/moisture sources have primarily been suggested as water crystals, but I have heard a lot more people saying they just use fresh veggie or fruits(usually apple) for moisture.

Again, all thoughts are welcome. Thanks
    -Austin

Thanks

Just another thought...I guess what would answer my question perfectly is...

How long would it take X mixed colony size (starter) to grow enough to feed a voracious eater like a beardie constantly? And...starting w/ Y number of adult females (non mixed starter colony), same question.

I dont expect anyone to have all the answers, but maybe people in similar situations can say what they have exeperienced. For instance...Joe Schmoe says he bought 2 starter colonies. One was 100 mixed, the other was a half dozen females and a couple of males. They both grew too a colony size of 1000+ within 4 months.

These numbers are all potentially bogus, just throwing out an example.

Also, another question. In the mixed sets typically offered by bug breeders, is it all nymphs or mostly nymphs with some adults? If some adults are there, how many breeder females could I safely assume to get per 100.
    -Austin

Thanks

Seriously, no help?

I want to post on Arachnoboards but their mods are apparently ignoring me. I received my confirmation email of my registration on Friday, and said I was awaiting activation by a mod. Sent them an email yesterday afternoon saying I still need to be activated, and still nothing. I am not impressed.
    -Austin