Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,345

0 members and 3,345 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

feed in tank or another tank/tub?

Which one is better? Does it matter?

Thanks

Re: feed in tank or another tank/tub?

feed your snake in its tank. There is no reason to move your snake to another tank, it just causes more stress.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TMoore For This Useful Post:

missi182 (02-06-2009)

Thanks

I feed all of my ball pythons in their own enclosures. I do not see any reason to stress them out by moving them to another enclosure, or increase my chances getting bit by handling them while they are in feed mode.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

missi182 (02-06-2009)

Registered User MUSTANGGTANDGSXR's Avatar
    Thanks

i feed in a separate container. but i do because i use cypress mulch as substrate.
    Racing... because baseball, basketball, football and soccer only use one ball.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TMoore View Post
    feed your snake in its tank. There is no reason to move your snake to another tank, it just causes more stress.

Never feed your snake in its enclosure. This will make the snake think that whenever you open the enclosure they will be fed and you do not want your hand to be mistaken for food. Also this will make your snake tame because it will be used to the feeding container and associate going into the separate container with feeding.
    If you feed your snake in its enclosure it may end up being agressive anytime you open it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeySnakey View Post
    Never feed your snake in its enclosure. This will make the snake think that whenever you open the enclosure they will be fed and you do not want your hand to be mistaken for food. Also this will make your snake tame because it will be used to the feeding container and associate going into the separate container with feeding.
    If you feed your snake in its enclosure it may end up being agressive anytime you open it.
    This is a very common myth. There are no ill effects of feeding your snake in it's enclosure. The only time it would cause the snake to be aggressive is if the *only* time you ever opened the enclosure was to feed it. Say you get the snake out twice a week, and you check it's water once or twice a week. Then you feed it once a week. Only 1 out of 5 times you open the enclosure are you putting food in there. Your snake isn't going to mistake you for food.

There are some people that feed their snakes on a very regular basis, and a snake can get used to that. If you do that then on feeding day each week, the snake is more likely to be aggressive, but from what I understand it can help get a stronger feeding response. And, if you have a set feeding day, you know not to handle your snake on that day, and there are no problems. ^_^
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tweets_4611 For This Useful Post:

missi182 (02-06-2009),rmune0750 (03-11-2009),TMoore (02-06-2009)

Thanks

Feeding in the enclosure is the way I do it with no problems so far. Invest in a snake hook, they're handy to have near by. If you have a snake thats a bit aggressive on a non feeding day you can lightly tap the snake on the head once with the snake hook and it will usually snap out of feed mode and will be ok to handle afterwords.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

I feed my Ball in his enclosure. I fear that putting him in a different enclosure will stress him out.
    I'm not afraid of snakes, because I got Balls!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeySnakey View Post
    Nice to meet you Mikey, Welcome to the site. Think carefully about your reasoning here. When you feed your snake OUTSIDE the enclosure, your hands are STILL present. If you want to go that route, I could contradict with "well then wouldn't you think your snake being removed from his enclosure at all would cause him to go into feeding mode?"

Ball pythons are not stupid, so unless you NEVER put your hands in the enclosure with exception to feed, and your hands smell a great deal like a rodent, you are just fine to feed the snake in the enclosure. You actually stress your snake out a great deal removing it from its recognizable home where it can comfortably hunt and feel secure. You also run the risk of your snake regurgitating when moving it after it has just eaten. Regurgitation is very unhealthy for any reptile, and to risk it occurring for no real reason is just silly.

Some people are set on moving a snake to another area for feeding, and they can do so if they please. But until you have a little more familiarity with different husbandry practices, please don't feel offended if you are corrected.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missi182 For This Useful Post:

rmune0750 (03-11-2009),TMoore (02-06-2009)

Thanks

I feed my snakes in my bathtub...
    gives me time to clean the tubs if needed

i fell into the myth of feeding in their enclosures willl make them think everything going into the tub is food, but ive never had a problem feeding in different enclosures, and just putting them in the tub for a second i can already tell if they will eaT OR not......

its all on personal choice

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast