Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,068

3 members and 3,065 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grey Hound

Thanks

Grey Hound

Does anyone own one of these? Any useful information for someone seeking to get one.

BTW, pics are more than welcomed!

Thanks guys.
    Chondro-holic

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Yeap, it's official.

David is the official BP.net Morelia-picture-taker-putter-on-the-internet-er!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Grey Hound

I've never owned one personally, but we had a family friend who rescued two of them from racing, or rather, being killed because they didn't win. The only thing about them was the were very standoffish and timid. If your willing to really work with them a rescued one would be great, but they have never experienced love in their entire life and they aren't like other dogs with unconditional love right off the bat.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

They actually vary a great deal from dog to individual dog. Some will be timid, some outgoing. A lot of them have to be on-leash, unless they are confined with a tall fence, and many have small animal issues.
    Once you meet one and you know what he/she is like as a individual, you can usually work with them just fine.
    They tend to get cold easily, since they have no coat, and no body fat to speak of.
    I like them, as they tend to be quiet dogs, easy to care for, as long as they are not animal aggressive. They almost never tend to be aggressive towards people.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

They are good dogs! Most rescues will get information from you on your lifestyle and wants in a dog and give you options on which will do best according to your wants. They wont give you a timid dog if you want a more outgoing one. They place dogs for permanent homes not to be returned in a few days when you cant handle it. Another neat thing is that you can look up their tattoo numbers and check their racing history and if they sired/whelped any litters. Its pretty neat to see. They are also fairly cheap to adopt, i think our local one does about $150 with everything done!

Some dogs need a little bit of training as far as house breaking, using the stairs and things they dont normally come in contact between the kennel and the track. Other than that I think they are great dogs and would be a great save. i have been trying to talk my dad into adopting one as well.
    Tina
    0.1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- Hubert and Cefira
    2.1 Pitbulls- Roscoe. Jake. Ellie
    1.0 Great Pyrenees- Kodiak
    0.0.1 Yellow Spotted Salamander- Salamander
    0.1 Marbled Salamander- Mandie

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

They are amazing dogs, I know quite a few people who own Danes and they are mostly goof-balls...... They don't know their size, that's for sure!! Great with kids, but research is always a good thing to learn about the extra care needed for their joints, etc due to their size.. The Harlequin Danes are absolutely gorgeous, I don't know if you have seen those before, but it's worth taking a glance at...

Thanks

Greyhound Info

They are wonderful dogs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Whoops, my mistake.... I completely read the breed name wrong and for some reason I can't edit my post.. Greyhounds are really great dogs as well, and most of what I posted is true for this breed also, but I figured I would correct the post since I made a fool of myself...

Thanks

I really like a laid back dog. I'm willing to work with one. I don't forsee any lifestyle changes anytime soon. I plan on keeping him/her until they pass away. I want a long time pet and more cuddly than a snake. I've been talking on forums with locals about adoption and also members of the local GPA. I bought grey hounds for dummies (highly recommended by the forums) There is a meet and greet I'll be attending tomorrow with some foster dosg available for adoption. I don't care about color (even though white of fawn is up on my list) I want a dog able to handle small pets, being alone for some time by itself. Those are all I need. No young kids come to my home unless my cousins do but they are 9 and 10.One is autistic but once reminded to be quite and calm he will do it. I've even let him hold a green tree before. I really want to meet a few before making my decision, but we all know how that is. I might fall in love tomorrow, ha.
    Chondro-holic

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Yeap, it's official.

David is the official BP.net Morelia-picture-taker-putter-on-the-internet-er!

Thanks

Good luck! And thanks for wanting a rescued dog!
    Tina
    0.1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- Hubert and Cefira
    2.1 Pitbulls- Roscoe. Jake. Ellie
    1.0 Great Pyrenees- Kodiak
    0.0.1 Yellow Spotted Salamander- Salamander
    0.1 Marbled Salamander- Mandie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

My cousin has a greyhound/lab/APBT mix she got from a rescue.. probably half greyhound and 1/4 black lab 1/4 APBT.

She is absolutely the most gentle dog I've ever met.. but very timid around new people. She tries to be dominant over other dogs, despite being only a medium size dog. She sometimes pushes around a full sized poodle who is a regular playmate of hers.

She LOVES to run, as you might imagine. She bonded very tightly to my cousin, and never leaves her side, when it's playtime with other dogs.

No real specific greyhound info, but just the only bit of experience I've had with a part greyhound dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast