Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,858

1 members and 1,857 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Introducing new male

Outof my 3 1.5 colinies only 2 of them keep producing babies, the 3rd one produced 5 litters, one from each female but after that there is no action. I'm thinking about replacing the male, maybe he got in to a fight with one of the females or something.

At what age should I introduce the new male? Is weanling size enough or should I wait a few weeks more?

Thanks
    -D

Thanks

Re: Introducing new male

Quote Originally Posted by Doxster View Post
    Outof my 3 1.5 colinies only 2 of them keep producing babies, the 3rd one produced 5 litters, one from each female but after that there is no action. I'm thinking about replacing the male, maybe he got in to a fight with one of the females or something.

At what age should I introduce the new male? Is weanling size enough or should I wait a few weeks more?

Thanks
    -D
    Just feed off the male and switch up one of the good breeders.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

I think you misunderstood me partially, I'm a bit tired so I guess I'm not real good at explaining at the moment.

I'm going to feed of the existing male and take one of the males from a litter in a different colony. I just need to know at what age it's safest to introduce the "little one". Don't want the females to kill/castrate him.

Thanks
    -D

Thanks

The best method that i have found for introducing a new male mouse is to place the male in a CLEAN cage, let him stay there by himself for several days to establish his scent, then introduce the females into HIS territory. I haven't lost any males since starting to do this.

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoo-t View Post
    The best method that i have found for introducing a new male mouse is to place the male in a CLEAN cage, let him stay there by himself for several days to establish his scent, then introduce the females into HIS territory. I haven't lost any males since starting to do this.

Steve
    I'll definatley try this. Would you say it's alright to do this right after the male is weaned?

Thanks

I had three tubs and one male, just clean the female tub rub the male in te bedding for a little while, if that doesnt work stick them all in a bag, shake them up and then boom there you go!
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    I had three tubs and one male, just clean the female tub rub the male in te bedding for a little while, if that doesnt work stick them all in a bag, shake them up and then boom there you go!
    I prefer to have permanent colonies, but thanks for your advice.

Anyone got an answer for me regarding the age of the male?

Thanks
    -D

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

My males i use to breed are 2+ months old. and i never rotate the male so his scent is there at all times. i take females out and move around. I watch first to see if any fighting will occur if nothing they stay in for 2 weeks till prego.