Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,145

3 members and 3,142 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

"Blonde" Hognoses

Sorry to be a nuisance but I got another hoggie question for you guys!

At the reptile show I saw some hognoses labeled as "blonde hognoses" and I think they ran for 80$. Is blonde a morph, a name for an especially light colored western hognose, or a different subspecies?

I ask because if I'm remembering correctly the little guys looked like westerns just with lighter coloring. But when I go to hognose.com I see the name Malagasy Blonde Hognosed Snake listed as a different subspecies and their coloring is solid gold. So what's the deal? Maybe the neonates start out speckled but lose it with age?

Thanks

Re: "Blonde" Hognoses

Quote Originally Posted by Hapa_Haole View Post
    Sorry to be a nuisance but I got another hoggie question for you guys!

At the reptile show I saw some hognoses labeled as "blonde hognoses" and I think they ran for 80$. Is blonde a morph, a name for an especially light colored western hognose, or a different subspecies?

I ask because if I'm remembering correctly the little guys looked like westerns just with lighter coloring. But when I go to hognose.com I see the name Malagasy Blonde Hognosed Snake listed as a different subspecies and their coloring is solid gold. So what's the deal? Maybe the neonates start out speckled but lose it with age?
    Well, i have a few questions for you. 1. who was the breeder? 2. what show did you see this at?
    Ok, i have never heard of a blonde morph. That's not to say there isn't one but i doubt someone would name a morph blonde knowing there is a giant hognose that is blonde.
    The Malagasy blond hognoses are usually not solid in color but have a slight speckled pattern to them. They actually look like a speckled but VERY light in color.
    As for having a malagasy in America, from my understanding the majority of them are WC. I have never seen a CBB one in America. Again, not to say there aren't any but i have checked all over and have not been able to find any.
    For the price, it sounds like a light colored normal heterodon. The Malagasies are usually large even when born so they are pretty easy to tell apart, and their face is completely different.
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

Thanks

The breeder was Susquehanna Ectotherms from the Havre De Grace show in Maryland.

The show was about a month ago and I didn't spend too much time looking at the Blondes so my memory isn't a reliable source as for as patterns go. But I do remember them being incredibly small which probably rules out them being Malagasies.

I was curious about them at the show but too dumb to ask. The next time I go I'll be sure to ask and then post the answer here. I trust that the breeder isn't making up the blonde morph and has some logical explanation for it. Or maybe like you said there really is a blonde morph. Here is the guys website if you want to dig a bit further. http://www.s-ecto.com And thanks for the help as always!

-Dennis

Thanks

Well I followed my own advice and went to his website. Heres what he had to say about them.
    Common Name:Hognose Snake, Western Blond
    Scientific Name: Heterdon nasicus nasicus
    Morph:Blonde morph
    Genetics: Proven,see below
    Description:
    I first started breeding Western Hognose in 1996. One pair that I acquired in 98 produced some really nice looking pale blondish hatchlings. I kept those offspring and bred them a few years later and produced all Blondes. When breeding Blonde males to normal Western females some of the offspring will look Blonde as well. 2nd generation Blondes bred to each other produce some incredible looking babies. Some of these offspring are so pale that they almost look patternless.
    Here's the link to where I found the info with pics. http://www.s-ecto.com/collection/vie...sp?id=20051030

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hapa_Haole View Post
    Well I followed my own advice and went to his website. Heres what he had to say about them.

Description:

Here's the link to where I found the info with pics. http://www.s-ecto.com/collection/vie...sp?id=20051030
    Nice digging.
    Seems to me from the photos that they aren't too special, in my opinion. They look like normal hognoses to the T. I have a Mexican that has a reduced pattern, and looks like one solid color during his shed. Seems interesting and all but i don't think i'd consider it a true morph.
    Of all the tyrannies a tyranny executed for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. for it may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busibodies. For a robber baron's cruelty may cease; his cupidity may at some poitn be sadiated. But those who torment us for out own good do so without ceasing because they do so with the approval of their conscience. ~C.S. Lewis

Thanks

Thanks. I definitely won't dish out the extra cash for one then.

Thanks

Yeah just scan through kingsnake you can find all kinds of stuff on there.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

Those are not Blonde Hognose.......Blonde Hognose are Leioheterodon modestus They get waaaayyyyy bigger then NA hogs and can get the fangs into play with a bite not a chew.

I will try to dig up my pics of mine but for now go here:

http://www.hognose.com/pages/species/blonde.htm

Thanks

Oh.....and as far as I have seen so far.....no "blonde" morph is out there. Just so you know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichardA View Post
    Oh.....and as far as I have seen so far.....no "blonde" morph is out there. Just so you know.
    Yep, that's what mine looks like. I couldn't find a blond morph, either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast