Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,642

2 members and 2,640 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Aquaclear 110

Thanks

Aquaclear 110

I will probably be purchasing one of these within the next few days since research seems to prove they're the best for what I want. I'm going to have a 30 gallon tank with 2 or 3 goldfish in it.

What I need to know is how do the filters work? With most filters, you just buy the little carbon/foam inserts and you're done. I am under the impression that this one is biological so there will be more to it. Can someone please let me know what types of inserts I'll need to buy for it, and what they're going to run me (on average)? I'm trying to do a lot of ordering online so as to get the cheapest price, and I need to know exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd also like to know what each medium does. If anyone has any good links, I'll be more than happy to read up on the info myself. When I do a search for anything related to the AC110, all I get is sites trying to sell me the filter, and not explaining how or why it works.

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Aquaclear 110

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    I will probably be purchasing one of these within the next few days since research seems to prove they're the best for what I want. I'm going to have a 30 gallon tank with 2 or 3 goldfish in it.

What I need to know is how do the filters work? With most filters, you just buy the little carbon/foam inserts and you're done. I am under the impression that this one is biological so there will be more to it. Can someone please let me know what types of inserts I'll need to buy for it, and what they're going to run me (on average)? I'm trying to do a lot of ordering online so as to get the cheapest price, and I need to know exactly what I'm looking for.

I'd also like to know what each medium does. If anyone has any good links, I'll be more than happy to read up on the info myself. When I do a search for anything related to the AC110, all I get is sites trying to sell me the filter, and not explaining how or why it works.

Thanks.
    Aquaclear filters are probably one of my favorite big name hang on filters out there. How you set it up is up to you really, with most of them that I've run I use a pre-filter sponge, carbon sock, and ceramic rings as a biological filter.

The filter will come with all three of these, the only thing you will be looking to replace is going to be the carbon insert, I use a filter sock with a pull string and buy carbon in bulk to replace... activated carbon really should be replaced every few weeks, so it's the cheaper way to go. The sponge and biomax rings will be fine for quite a while, when you're cleaning what I do is rinse these in a bucket of tank water so as to keep the beneficial bacteria in them alive.

Best price I could find on the 110 was Dr. Fosters:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3610

Here's the filter socks
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pcatid=13961

And bulk carbon
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...99&pcatid=3599
    Jason

Thanks

All filters work on biological loads. As far as HOB filters go Aquaclear is one of the very best there is. They work great, they are found just about anywhere, and the replacement pieces are found just about anywhere.

Thanks

Aquaclear filters are great. I've been using them for a few years now and have yet to run into any problems. I usually run one or two sponges and either a carbon packet or bag of bio media. You shouldn't have to run carbon 24/7/365...I only put a pack in there if I notice the tank starting to smell.

They also lend themselves well to modification - I added a bio-wheel to an AC70, probably overkill but it runs great.

-Brad

Thanks

Im runnin 5 AC's of various sizes right now. The only "improvement" I have made is to cut a piece of fine filter material to place on top of the sponge that comes with it. The sponge that comes with it doesnt catch the smallest particles, so to me the finer filter material "polishes" the water before it goes back in. I have Zero comlaints on mine in well over a year.