Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,570

0 members and 2,570 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Is she a dwarf?

Thanks

Is she a dwarf?

I have a female mouse that I have had for over a month. I got her with about thirty others for feeders. At the time I got her she was a little smaller then the rest but they were all about weanling size. Oh, and there was another one that was also on the small side.
    Anyways after about a week one of the smaller ones died and this little girl was not growing. I expected that maybe the two of them were just weaned to early. And I didn't expect her to make it much longer, but she was to big to feed to my corn snake and not big enough to feed to my BP's, so I just left her.
    So I was cleaning cages today and weaning some baby's and I noticed that the weanlings were bigger then this little girl.
    So is she a dwarf?
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

Re: Is she a dwarf?

All the little ones I've ever had were failure to thrive for whatever reason and usually died pretty quickly. Seemed to be prevalent in the satins.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onebreitgirl View Post
    All the little ones I've ever had were failure to thrive for whatever reason and usually died pretty quickly. Seemed to be prevalent in the satins.
    See, and I figured this little girl would pass also. But she seems to be okay. Could she be in any kind of pain or have any illness that she needs to be put down? I'm not going to use her as a breeder and I probably won't feed her off. Maybe just keep her around until she passes.
    ***Tony S.***

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Right now, I have one in the grow up cage that is really tiny. I've had some small ones that died when they were in the fuzzy/hopper range, so I sort of expected it with this one too. She seems pretty healthy, though. The only issue at all is that her fur seems a little thin, like she only grew 2 out of every 3 hairs she should have or something. It is still soft, smooth, etc, but I can see her skin through it a little.

I like her, she is very cute. And she has grown some. When she was the age to be weaned, she was so lightweight I could hardly feel the weight of her in my hand. My daughter said it was like holding a feather. That was at least 2 weeks ago. Now she still weighs less than an average weanling, but at least it feels like there is something on my hand when I hold her.

So basically I'm just watching her to see what happens. Maybe they are dwarfs. Maybe they just got a slow start on life for some reason and will eventually catch up.
    Casey