Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

2 members and 2,873 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade Your BP.net Experience!!!

Another viewpoint -

I am a "Super Mod" on another forum/site, totally unrelated to reptiles. The owner of that site decided from day one to absorb all of the costs - no advertising, no subscriptions, no donations. She did this to retain complete control and while she does read the feedback from the over 10,000 members and advice from the staff, hers is the final word. You accept it or you leave. To her credit, she is very fair and does not "rule" with a heavy hand.

That said, it took a lot of courage for the Admins here to open the subscription window. You can see from the posts that there's a lot of questions as to why and how and where... I'm glad to see that those that have subscribed have done so to give back to the community and are not, AFAIK, looking for a say in how things are run.

The Admins didn't need to rock the boat with this new program. They could have just splashed a few more ads or charged everyone a small fee. I'm sure there was a lot of thought put in to this, more than most people here would imagine. Forums always seem to run themselves and anyone that has participated in a vBulletin software upgrade knows that this is far from true.

I applaud them for their efforts. I know how difficult it is to walk that fine line. I hope they reach their target and achieve their goals. We all benefit from their hard work.

JohnNJ

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JohnNJ For This Useful Post:

AaronP (01-27-2009),Bruce Whitehead (01-27-2009),Freakie_frog (01-27-2009),JLC (01-27-2009),littleindiangirl (01-27-2009),MarkS (01-27-2009),Microddot (01-28-2009),Nate (01-27-2009),southwind (11-26-2012),Stewart_Reptiles (01-27-2009)

Thanks

I don't think the atmosphere has changed, other than the extremely minor annoyance I have that the left hand post column is a bit wider when a contributor posts now due to the silver/gold/platinum image. =)

Having said that, I'd love to contribute, but my finances don't have wriggle room at the moment, so I can't. But...I don't feel pressured to contribute. I know I'm still loved and accepted for just who I am. =)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    We all benefit from their hard work.
    Ahem brother.
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassandra For This Useful Post:

JLC (01-27-2009),southwind (11-26-2012)

Thanks

I haven't been active the last month or two but I think its a great idea. As soon as I get home I will be showing my love for the bp.net. This place has been invaluable as a source of information and networking for me since I entered the hobby. Rock On BP.net staff and members!
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Spaniard For This Useful Post:

JLC (01-27-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra View Post
    I know I'm still loved and accepted for just who I am. =)
    You know I love you girlfriend(and my boa loves you too)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anendeloflorien View Post
    Hey I agree with you to a point Adam. I'd just like to know that when I donate money for something that's always been free it's being used wisely.
    I don't think it's relevant to compare it to a brick and mortar business at any rate, server space is cheaper than it's ever been and traffic for the site is down 40% for the last 3 months so I'd just like to know what costs are being covered by my money before I send it off.
    I think they are spending on off shore stuff that is against the TOS and they are partying like Buffett on a margarita binge, or they are just paying to keep up the site.

Quote Originally Posted by anendeloflorien View Post
    Ok. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said there Robin. I guess there's just a part of me that tends to think a little bit more than most about how my money is being spent and I kind of want to get people to think a little bit so I'm playing "devil's advocate".

Bp.net was and still is a great resource but I just feel like the atmosphere has changed quite a bit around here lately. Good or bad take that how you'd like.
    There needs no avocation here... Those of us that can and want to will those who don't or disagree will not.

I love this site and I am fortunate enough to be able to support it.

If they said "hey we need $5 a year from every member to keep this up and running" I would have been peeved (I don't really know why $5 aint nothin) but they said "hey here is what we have to offer" so I gave them $75 I hope they all have a nice dinner and some wine off my $75 I don't care what they spend it on. These are great people and a great site.
    Last edited by JLC; 01-28-2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: tos violation
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hoax For This Useful Post:

Microddot (01-28-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    Whens the $5 "Fake cheap Platinum" coming out? You know, that lets you change your Avatar and also lets you have it a little bigger.
    I wasnt kidding mods BTW
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Whens the $5 "Fake cheap Platinum" coming out? You know, that lets you change your Avatar and also lets you have it a little bigger.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/profi...?do=editavatar
    This is where you can change your avatar. As for making it bigger, the size for right now is 120 by 150.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid View Post
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/profi...?do=editavatar
    This is where you can change your avatar. As for making it bigger, the size for right now is 120 by 150.
    In a few days that will be disabled and we can only change it again either if we buy a subscription, become a vet, or use one of the preset Avatars.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

In a few days that will be disabled and we can only change it again either if we buy a subscription, become a vet, or use one of the preset Avatars.
    ummmm it is not that much....

If you can not donate I am sure the staff understands you aggravation...

But ummm.. with membership purchases come certain abilities if you wish not to subscribe to said membership you can always enjoy your free stay here....

It is always free to use this forum... there are perks... perks that many of us have paid for to get said perks... why make a "cheep" plan when others have already paid more to get the same perks you want to "cheapen"

Not trying to be rude or argumentative just giving my point of view on the matter. Hope you do not take this as a personal attack because that is not what it is meant to be. If BPnet tried to make every one happy... well this site would not be a very good one in my opinion.
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

Thanks

Happy to say that I'm finally able to support this site that I love so much. Thanks for keeping it around guys!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lillyorchid For This Useful Post:

dr del (07-16-2009),JLC (07-16-2009),Nate (07-16-2009),rabernet (07-23-2009)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast