Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

1 members and 3,158 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade Your BP.net Experience!!!

Whens the $5 "Fake cheap Platinum" coming out? You know, that lets you change your Avatar and also lets you have it a little bigger.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Hey so I'm just curious. I know everyone is all about supporting Bp.net which I'm not against but what exactly is this money going to cover? If we're expected to donate our hard earned money for the right to change our avatar and post classified ads I'd like to see something showing the actual monthly/annual expenses that bp.net has to cover and also would like to know what is going to happen with the extra money.

It's a great site and I wouldn't be where I am with my collection today without it but you'll have to understand I have issues with throwing out money when I have no idea what it is being used for.
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Isn't that like asking your cable/satellite provider how the "extra money" you are paying for HBO/SHOWTIME/PAY PER VIEW is being spent? Or your cell phone provider how the "extra money" you are paying for text messaging is being spent? I wonder how they'd respond?

Running a website of this size has costs associated with is and 99.99% of what the site offers is completely free ... not a bad deal in my opinion.

I would think that if you don't see value in paying extra for an upgraded Bp.Net experience, then don't? ... no?

Not trying to bust your ball pythons here, but asking to see the sites balance sheet just strikes me as a little odd ... but hey, if it works let me know ... i'd love to see what my local video store is spending all of the money I pay them in "late fees" on ... I suspect it's pizza, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Adam_Wysocki For This Useful Post:

AaronP (01-27-2009),dr del (01-27-2009),Jerhart (01-27-2009),JLC (01-27-2009),littleindiangirl (01-27-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    Isn't that like asking your cable/satellite provider how the "extra money" you are paying for HBO/SHOWTIME/PAY PER VIEW is being spent? Or your cell phone provider how the "extra money" you are paying for text messaging is being spent? I wonder how they'd respond?

Running a website of this size has costs associated with is and 99.99% of what the site offers is completely free ... not a bad deal in my opinion.

I would think that if you don't see value in paying extra for an upgraded Bp.Net experience, then don't? ... no?

Not trying to bust your ball pythons here, but asking to see the sites balance sheet just strikes me as a little odd ... but hey, if it works let me know ... i'd love to see what my local video store is spending all of the money I pay them in "late fees" on ... I suspect it's pizza, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

-adam
    Hey I agree with you to a point Adam. I'd just like to know that when I donate money for something that's always been free it's being used wisely.
    I don't think it's relevant to compare it to a brick and mortar business at any rate, server space is cheaper than it's ever been and traffic for the site is down 40% for the last 3 months so I'd just like to know what costs are being covered by my money before I send it off.
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anendeloflorien View Post
    If we're expected to donate our hard earned money for the right to change our avatar and post classified ads I'd like to see something showing the actual monthly/annual expenses that bp.net has to cover and also would like to know what is going to happen with the extra money.
    First your not expected to donate, its not a donation is a purchase of a service. Not unlike any other service you purchase. Your not buying stock or shares in the site your purchasing ability's and operating freedoms with in the site.

Don't think of it a something that is being used to manipulate or swindle people. You Pay $XX.XX you get XXXXXXXX thats as far as the transaction goes.

It's a great site and I wouldn't be where I am with my collection today without it but you'll have to understand I have issues with throwing out money when I have no idea what it is being used for.
    Its being used to run the site.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Hey I agree with you to a point Adam. I'd just like to know that when I donate money for something that's always been free it's being used wisely.
    I don't think it's relevant to compare it to a brick and mortar business at any rate, server space is cheaper than it's ever been and traffic for the site is down 40% for the last 3 months so I'd just like to know what costs are being covered by my money before I send it off.
    But it's not a donation ... it's payment for services.

This site isn't a non-profit organization.

I don't think that I've ever spoken to any of the staff while they were traveling on their private jets or vacationing in Bali, but if that ever happens I'll be sure to stop paying for anything "extra" around here.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

and traffic for the site is down 40% for the last 3 months so I'd just like to know what costs are being covered by my money before I send it off.
    For what it's worth, it's down for every reptile related site that you check on Alexa (since that's where I saw that figure posted elsewhere when people were discussing this Supporter program), because babies aren't hatching right now - there's no real "buzz" this time of year. This has historically been the slow time of year for ALL reptile related forums.

I bet if you check this summer - traffic will be UP exponentially.

Did you also know that BLBC traffic is also down 40% in the last three months, Fauna is down 23%, Kingsnake down 33%, RDR down 30%, etc.?

Being a monetary supporter is not a requirement for being a member here, it's completely voluntary. For years we've been approached by members asking how they can give back. We know that not everyone is interested in doing so, nor can afford to. But for those who can and want to - it's here for them.

With 10 THOUSAND registered members, we will continue to pledge to make the best decisions for this site. Not everyone will agree with us - hard to get 10K people to all agree unanimously on anything. But either they trust us to make the best decisions possible, or they don't. I don't believe the staff has ever done anything that would cause someone to question that we would do otherwise?

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

Bruce Whitehead (01-27-2009),hoax (01-28-2009),JLC (01-27-2009),littleindiangirl (01-27-2009),MarkS (01-27-2009),Microddot (01-28-2009),SecurityStacey (01-27-2009)

Thanks

Ok. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said there Robin. I guess there's just a part of me that tends to think a little bit more than most about how my money is being spent and I kind of want to get people to think a little bit so I'm playing "devil's advocate".

Bp.net was and still is a great resource but I just feel like the atmosphere has changed quite a bit around here lately. Good or bad take that how you'd like.
    ~Adam~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bp.net was and still is a great resource but I just feel like the atmosphere has changed quite a bit around here lately. Good or bad take that how you'd like.
    A site with the amount of growth that we are experiencing (200 new registered members a month on average) with over 10,000 members will always change and evolve in atmosphere when you add that much layer of personalities to the mix.

We can only strive to continue to serve you - the membership the best way that we know how.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ok. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said there Robin. I guess there's just a part of me that tends to think a little bit more than most about how my money is being spent and I kind of want to get people to think a little bit so I'm playing "devil's advocate".

It's not small anymore. And if anyone starts hanging out at a small site....then compares the "feeling" they get there to the "feeling" they get here...of course it's going to be different. I guarantee you any forum started this past year will also feel different five years from now if they continue to grow and thrive.

As for how your money is spent....spend it however you wish. We're not expecting you to anything differently. If you don't trust us to use it wisely, then we don't want it. Seriously! If we've ever done anything to cause you or anyone to mistrust our integrity on how the site is run, I'd really like to know. I'm not talking about disgreements on methods or rules...but serious issues about integrity and honor. Please...let me know.
    -- Judy

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Bruce Whitehead (01-27-2009),Microddot (01-28-2009)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast